Girlfriend routes

dirtysloper

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Route finding on your girlfriend is a spray conversation in the making...

Leavenworth has one...like 5.6-5.7 that is a classic 4-5 pitch..but I'm retarded on names..perfect for the "significant" other...

are you looking at multi-pitch sport for "girlfriend" or trad OK?

**EDIT** Ooops...5.8 - Outer Space...

Edited by FamilyMan

saber on castle is a good gf route.

if you don't mind runnouts, there are several gf routes (5.6) on sunset slabs, pinnacles. also martian diagonal pinnacles. The gully (orchard rock, pinnacles).

mountaineer dome (icicle creek), and that 5.6 crack there is also easy and short with a walk off, and bruces boulder and bolt rock.

bolts, the two 5.6 routes under the railroad bridge at 38, also at interstate park, headlight point, those first two 5.6 routes.

saber on castle is a good gf route.

Last year, I saw a gf reduced to tears because the bf went off-route(putting her in the harder polished corner to the right of Saber Ledge) and ran it out so that she couldn't hear him--she was panic-stricken, between being on a harder route than she signed up for and never being completely sure she was on belay because she couldn't see or hear bf.

I don't think there was much spooning in THAT tent that night. :whistle:

Lesson: regardless of which climb you choose, KNOW the route and stay w/in sight or voice contact in order to ensure happy ending. :)

Mazama Route on Elephant's Perch, Sawtooths, Id. that was my GF's second multi-pitch route, and it was easy enough for her to concentrate on cleaning and rope work. . .I read that Outer Space was not, but that was her first Multi-pitch route with me. . .aside from the walk off, it was fine. . .lol. But really, EP is amazing!!

At Three O'clock Rock in Darrington,Silent Running offers a very straight-forward and well-protected slab climb although it is "well-protected" in a slab climb way with runouts up to 30 feet or so on easier terrain. These pose absolutely no problem for the follower, though some leaders may pucker up a bit and I was there once when somebody sent their girlfriend up there for her first lead ever and she fell 60 feet. It was not pretty.

With fall colors, Darrington is even more scenic than usual and Three O'Clock Rock has a civilized trail right to the base.

It depends, if she is always asking to go climbing with me then a good place to take the little lady would be Index. The way I see it, if she doesn't like the place and freaks out, then it's an early sign that things just won't work out. However, if she loves it, thats a keeper. Call me selfish but GNS, The Tooth, Ingalls, and Midway get pretty boring after a couple ascents.