[TR] Midnight Rock - The Flame>Traverse 9/30/2008

olyclimber

Trip: Midnight Rock - The Flame>Traverse

Date: 9/30/2008

Trip Report:

I bashed my toes on the drive up when running to the bathroom in flipflops. Went up the Flame and finished to the top via the Traverse. Hard 5.8 climbing. Wasn't sure about rap, so walked off to climbers left. Walkoff sucked.

Disregard this, testing board modification.

Gear Notes:

Duct tape to stop toes from bleeding.

Approach Notes:

The trail up. Are there any spaces in this text?

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

who here recalls the Steven's Pass Hotel (Croft named a pitch after it up at Midnight)? Apparently it rented by the hour? (and no, not the one in Goldbar on Croft Road).

I remember passing by that motel a few times with my parents when I was a kid and asking them why the motel had hourly rentals. :lmao::lmao: I wish I remembered what they told me.

• 2 weeks later...

Went back up during Ropeup so we could take a look at Roller coaster. We went up Easter Overhang, and I thrashed around a bit in that. From the ROTC rap, you can drop right into Roller Coaster. Looked hard at the top, and Jeff confirmed this. Then sun went behind the ridge right as he led past the middle of the chimney.

Jeff said the top part is eight inches and the "gear to 2 inches" from the current Leavenworth guide is a bit off. He used a number 4 a bit, but it was getting tipped out.

Good times, I didn't follow as we didn't have 8 hours for me to thrash up, and we rapped from there and ran down to the party at Eight Mile.

Rollercoaster.gif

• 1 year later...

Does anyone climb at Midnight anymore? Its the best crag in the Leavenworth area for crack climbing without compare, but I never see any trip reports or photos on it besides this one. I haven't been there in years but next summer got to get back as miss the place. Years ago we were running down the trail one evening and my friend jumped over an enormous rattlesnake curled up sleeping on the trail. 10 feet long, must have been a timber rattler.

Edited by stevetimetravlr

Yes people still go up there, but its a longer hike than Castle Rock, so less people end up there. Also, due to bird closures it has had limited use.

And this is info from a Seattlite. I'm sure an L'worth local can give you a better scoop as to traffic up there.

It is a fun place to climb, and I know that a couple people have been replacing bolts and working routes there in the past couple of years that have posted here or in the Rock Climbing forum.

• 9 months later...