National Review turns on Palin

rob

"it is increasingly clear that Palin is a problem"

Asked to give examples of legislative action taken by McCain that could have headed off the current financial crisis, Palin pointed to his call two years ago to rein in the bailed-out mortgage giants Freddie Mac and Fannie Mae.

Couric, noting that McCain had been in Congress for 26 years, pushed Palin for further examples. "I'll try to find you some and I'll bring them to you," the Republican running mate said.

"I'll get back to you." :lmao:

But in the National Review, Parker wrote that Palin had betrayed insufficient knowledge of economics or foreign policy to show that she was ready to step up should something befall the 72-year-old McCain.

"As we've seen and heard more from John McCain's running mate, it is increasingly clear that Palin is a problem," she said.

But it's not just Palin destroying the GOP ticket!

McCain cried off a scheduled appearance in New York with the acerbic funnyman, citing his urgent need to return to Washington to attend talks in Congress on an enormous economic bailout package.

But Letterman cut to a studio shot of McCain getting face powder applied at the very same time for his own interview with Couric, and then mercilessly poked fun at the Republican during the rest of his show.

:lmao:

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But now even conservative commentators are admitting that she is not ready for the White House

Kathleen Parker, a columnist for the Right-wing National Review, who was a keen advocate of Mrs Palin, wrote: "I watch her interviews with the held breath of an anxious parent, my finger poised over the mute button in case it gets too painful. Unfortunately, it often does. My cringe reflex is exhausted."

it's pretty obvious why. palin totally bombed the couric interview, despite couric trying to help her along.

Couric: Would you support a moratorium on foreclosures to help average Americans keep their homes?

Palin: That's something that John McCain and I have both been discussing - whether that ... is part of the solution or not. You know, it's going to be a multi-faceted solution that has to be found here.

Couric: So you haven't decided whether you'll support it or not?

Palin: I have not.

Couric: What are the pros and cons of it do you think?

Palin: Oh, well, some decisions that have been made poorly should not be rewarded, of course.

Couric: By consumers, you're saying?

Palin: Consumers - and those who were predator lenders also. That's, you know, that has to be considered also. But again, it's got to be a comprehensive, long-term solution found ... for this problem that America is facing today. As I say, we are getting into crisis mode here.

Couric: You've said, quote, "John McCain will reform the way Wall Street does business." Other than supporting stricter regulations of Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac two years ago, can you give us any more example of his leading the charge for more oversight?

Palin: I think that the example that you just cited, with his warnings two years ago about Fannie and Freddie - that, that's paramount. That's more than a heck of a lot of other senators and representatives did for us.

Couric: But he's been in Congress for 26 years. He's been chairman of the powerful Commerce Committee. And he has almost always sided with less regulation, not more.

Palin: He's also known as the maverick though, taking shots from his own party, and certainly taking shots from the other party. Trying to get people to understand what he's been talking about - the need to reform government.

Couric: But can you give me any other concrete examples? Because I know you've said Barack Obama is a lot of talk and no action. Can you give me any other examples in his 26 years of John McCain truly taking a stand on this?

Palin: I can give you examples of things that John McCain has done, that has shown his foresight, his pragmatism, and his leadership abilities. And that is what America needs today.

Couric: I'm just going to ask you one more time - not to belabor the point. Specific examples in his 26 years of pushing for more regulation.

Palin: I'll try to find you some and I'll bring them to you.

Palin's a gem, for sure. Unfortunately, it doesn't substantially matter to voters who the VPs are.

If McCain is defeated, you'd think the poor woman would go live on an Aleutian island in seclusion after the bitch slapping the country's given her, but it won't work out that way. Her kooky Christian base undoubtedly loves her more than ever, and that will probably work in her future political favor. Plus, she must certainly be imprevious to criticism by now, considering her less than stellar job performance to date. Senator Palin? Don't discount it.

I've been thinking all along that the Republicans are throwing the election so that the Dems will have to deal with the current shit pile. That feeling keeps growing. Why waste good candidates on a hopeless election? Just wait 4 years for the Dems to do no better and then take it all.

Hopefully Obama can pull it off.

The following is an article that was censored by Fox News from its own fair and balanced website:

Conservatives Begin Questioning Palin’s Heft

by Associated Press

Sunday, September 28, 2008

http://elections.foxnews...questioning-palins-heft/

A growing number of Republicans are expressing concern about Sarah Palin’s uneven - and sometimes downright awkward - performances in her limited media appearances.

Conservative columnist Kathleen Parker, a former Palin supporter, says the vice presidential nominee should step aside. Kathryn Jean Lopez, writing for the conservative National Review, says “that’s not a crazy suggestion” and that “something’s gotta change.”

Tony Fabrizio, a GOP strategist, says Palin’s recent CBS appearance isn’t disqualifying but is certainly alarming. “You can’t continue to have interviews like that and not take on water.”

“I have not been blown away by the interviews from her, but at the same time, I haven’t come away from them thinking she doesn’t know s-t,” said Chris Lacivita, a GOP strategist. “But she ain’t *** Cheney, nor Joe Biden and definitely not Hillary Clinton.”

There is no doubt that Palin retains a tremendous amount of support among rank-and-file Republicans. She draws huge crowds, continues to raise a lot of money for the McCain campaign, and state parties report she has sparked an uptick in the number of volunteers.

Asked about Palin’s performance in the CBS interview, a McCain official briefing reporters on condition of anonymity said: “She did fine. She’s a tremendous asset and a fantastic candidate.”

But there is also no doubt many Republican insiders are worried she could blow next week’s debate, based on her unexpectedly weak and unsteady media appearances, and hurt the Republican ticket if she does.

What follows is a viewer’s guide to some of Palin’s toughest moments on camera so far.

Speaking this week with CBS’s Katie Couric, Palin seemed caught off-guard by a very predictable question about the status of McCain adviser Rick Davis’ relationship with mortgage lender Freddie Mac. Davis was accused by several news outlets of retaining ties - and profiting from - the companies despite his denials.

Where a more experienced politician might have been able to brush off Couric’s follow-up question, Palin seemed genuinely stumped, repeating the same answer twice and resorting to boilerplate language about the “undue influence of lobbyists.”

These missteps could be attributed to inadequate preparation and don’t necessarily reflect more deeply on Palin’s ability to perform as vice president. But when reporters have tried to probe Palin’s thinking on subjects such as foreign policy, she’s been similarly opaque.

In an interview with ABC’s Charlie Gibson, Palin gave a muddled answer to a question about her opinion of the Bush Doctrine.

And given the chance to describe her foreign policy credentials more fully, Palin recited familiar talking points, telling Gibson that her experience with energy policy was sufficient preparation for dealing with national security issues.

In the same interview, Palin let Gibson lead her into saying it might be necessary to wage war on Russia - a suggestion that most candidates would have avoided making explicitly and that signaled her discomfort in discussing global affairs.

Then, asked this week by Couric to discuss her knowledge of foreign relations - in particular, her assertion that Alaska’s proximity to Russia gave her international experience - Palin tripped herself up explaining her interactions with Alaska’s neighbor to the west. Watch CBS Videos Online

On the economy, too, Palin has avoided taking clear stances. In a largely friendly interview with Fox News Channel’s Sean Hannity, Palin spoke in tangled generalities in response to a question about a possible Wall Street bailout - and even preempted her campaign by coming out against it.

On Thursday, Palin finally took questions from her traveling press - but shut things down quickly after Politico’s Kenneth P. Vogel asked her whether she would support Alaska Sen. Ted Stevens, who has been indicted for corruption, and Rep. Don Young, who is under federal investigation, for reelection.

Unlike her other interviews, at least this time Palin had the option to walk away.