Art and War -- both are a waste of money??

minx

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh I like art, I like art in public spaces. Unfortunately, most works commissioned by the State are the adult equivalent of the Teletubbies: vacant, banal, decontextualized gobbledegook. At worst it's merely a reconstitution of corporate and State power: East Berlin with Cows.

What about all of the art that has been inspired by war?

guernica.jpg

Art and culture draw people. Do you think that people live in New York because they love the crowds? There is a lot going on there artistically. A part of the goal of public art works is to draw tourists and more importantly permanent residents. There is a financial payoff from having a globally recognized art instillation or even overall cultural draw. People plan vacations around architecture.

I went to the EMP partially to see what the hell was inside the melted jelly bean and discovered that the inside is far more appealing and will return because it is interesting.

For many, art is business. The real question is when is art compromised by business.

"The artist, however faithful to his personal vision of reality, becomes the last champion of the individual mind and sensibility against an intrusive society and an officious state. The great artist is thus a solitary figure. [...] In pursuing his perceptions of reality, he must often sail against the currents of his time. This is not a popular role. [...] I see little of more importance to the future of our country and our civilization than full recognition of the place of the artist. If art is to nourish the roots of our culture, society must set the artist free to follow his vision wherever it takes him. We must never forget that art is not a form of propaganda; it is a form of truth. [...] In free society art is not a weapon and it does not belong to the spheres of polemic and ideology. Artists are not engineers of the soul. [...] And the nation which disdains the mission of art invites the fate of Robert Frost's hired man, the fate of having 'nothing to look backward to with pride, and nothing to look forward to with hope.'" - President John F. Kennedy, in remarks given at Amherst College, October 26, 1963