Who will be our next VP  

84 members have voted

1. 1. Who will be our next VP

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From the NYTimes

Lori Viars, a social conservative activist in Lebanon, Ohio, who had been a staunch supporter of Mike Huckabee and had struggled to muster enthusiasm for Mr. McCain, said, “I’m so hot and sweaty, because we’ve been jumping around and hugging.”

The McCain Campaign Strategy:

Exhibit A:

“They’re beyond ecstatic,’’ said Ralph Reed, the former head of the Christian Coalition. “This is a home run. She is a reformer governor who is solidly pro-life and a person of deep Christian faith. And she is really one of the bright shinging new stars in the republican firmament.’’

Exhibit B:

avery_tex_wolf.jpg

I'm still shocked.

Though he was running a slimy campaign and I disagree with his worldview I still presumed McCain was very serious about the importance of the presidency. This choice seems like a gimmick.

Sarah Palins experience seems beyond light for the job of VP particularly when paired with a 72 year old. Maybe we'll learn more but I get the impression that she has no record or policy stances on...anything other than the oil industry as it pertains to Alaska.

Say what you like about Joe Biden and Barack Obama, that seven years as a senator at the state and national level is not experience. But the guy has clearly thought long and hard about all the issues a presidency deals with; taxation, the economy, energy, foreign relations, etc. and has an integtrated policy and plan for each of them.

Can't wait to learn more....

I get emails from Begala all the time over the past few months I found him to be fairly biased on the side of the Democrats.

Yes, but he's got a point. One that could sway enough voters into the D column.

Read the comments from that link. Seems the Rs may have a no-experience relief pitcher to fill a dead McCain spot. But the Ds are putting in a no-experience man as their starting pitcher.

Who's more irresponsible here, Begala? Hmm?

WRT Bidens smarts here's an article: Partiton

Say what you like about Joe Biden and Barack Obama, that seven years as a senator at the state and national level is not experience.

D - I end up hanging out with a state senator for a couple weeks every year. If you believe that spending a few years as State Senator means jack you're simply naive. A couple years as Gov. is far far more difficult and more appropriate schooling for VP/Pres than a lifetime as a state senator.

Well, remember when GW was asked about his experience and he said, "I'm the governor of a big state"? Alaska is even bigger!

But Governor of Arkansas, of course, well THAT was different! :rolleyes:

I think the issues facing Arkansas are a lot more relevant to American politics than Alaska's (America's Arctic Extraction Ghetto).

Edited by prole

Any of you cats see her speaking on tv? Not too shabby.

So Husband's family were/are? fishermen, husband's now a steelworker, she is an ex beauty queen and basketball player. One child has down syndrom and another is going off to Iraq shortly. (As an aside I wonder how often Biden will now be bringing up his son who is going as part of the Judge Advocates Office)

Soooo, we're supposed to admire her cuz she's got two dumb kids?

Wow. :noway: You're an ass.

She catapulted to the post with a strong reputation as a political outsider, forged during her stint in local politics. She was mayor and a council member of the small town of Wasila and was chairman of the state Oil and Gas Conservation Commission, which regulates Alaska's oil and gas resources, in 2003 and 2004.

Impressive.

Get to know Wasila, Alaska!

From Wikipedia:

Wasilla is part of the Anchorage, Alaska Metropolitan Statistical Area. As of the 2000 census, its population was 5,470. The 2005 estimate gives it a population of 8,471,[1] although the city website lists the population as 6,715.[2]

...About one third of the people of Wasilla commute to work into Anchorage every day.

...The racial makeup of the city was 85% White, 0.6% black or African American, 5% Native American, 1% Asian, 0.1% Pacific Islander, 1% from other races, and 6% from two or more races. 4% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race.

She catapulted to the post with a strong reputation as a political outsider, forged during her stint in local politics. She was mayor and a council member of the small town of Wasila and was chairman of the state Oil and Gas Conservation Commission, which regulates Alaska's oil and gas resources, in 2003 and 2004.

Impressive.

At about the same time, Obama was a "community organizer". It's (not really) funny that both the Democrat and the Republican VP choices have better credentials than Obama.