Harry Truman

Ronald Reagan

Worst:

Andrew Jackson

James Buchanan

Woodrow Wilson

Franklin D Roosevelt

Jimmy Carter

After more thought, I guess I've always been a big fan of Polk's work ethic. I'm surprised you haven't asked me about Tyler.

Who is your favorite politician that never became president? (ie: Alexander Hamilton, Stephen Douglas, William Jennings Bryan...) I've always liked Henry Cabot Lodge.

Let the opinions fly!!!

You never participated. What are your picks?

Okay!

5 Best

George Washington

FDR - some may say he took advantage by having three terms but he was the right man at the time

Theodore Roosevelt - leadership, conservation, etc.

Abraham Lincoln

Andrew Jackson/Dwight D. Eisenhower

5 Worst

James Buchanan - put economy in toilet and corruption

Ulysses S. Grant - what were they thinking

George W. Bush - 'nough said!

William H. Harrison

Warren Harding

Let the opinions fly!!!

You never participated. What are your picks?

Okay!

5 Best

George Washington

FDR - some may say he took advantage by having three terms but he was the right man at the time

Theodore Roosevelt - leadership, conservation, etc.

Abraham Lincoln

Andrew Jackson/Dwight D. Eisenhower

5 Worst

James Buchanan - put economy in toilet and corruption

Ulysses S. Grant - what were they thinking

George W. Bush - 'nough said!

William H. Harrison

Warren Harding

US Grant ran what many historians say was the most corrupt administration in American history to this day. I've never thought Buchanan was associated with too much corruption, but he failed to take any steps whatsoever to calm the sectionalism that led to war. Harding fathered a child with his mistress in a broom closet adjacent to the oval office--claimed he never wanted to be president and was not qualified. GWB will rate mediocre IMO. Too soon to say in any event. William Henry Harrison died in office after only 30 days! Why him? Andrew Jackson is much revered, but he was basically a butcher. Research "Trail of Tears" and you'll understand.

Favorites:

George Washington

John Tyler

Teddy Roosevelt

Harry Truman

Ronald Reagan

Worst:

Andrew Jackson

James Buchanan

Woodrow Wilson

Franklin D Roosevelt

Jimmy Carter

After more thought, I guess I've always been a big fan of Polk's work ethic. I'm surprised you haven't asked me about Tyler.

Nothing is wrong with Tyler just wondering why you picked him over others??

Who is your favorite politician that never became president? (ie: Alexander Hamilton, Stephen Douglas, William Jennings Bryan...) I've always liked Henry Cabot Lodge.

Of the folks you mentioned Alexander Hamilton is one. Another would be Ben Franklin.

US Grant ran what many historians say was the most corrupt administration in American history to this day. I've never thought Buchanan was associated with too much corruption, but he failed to take any steps whatsoever to calm the sectionalism that led to war. Harding fathered a child in a broom closet adjacent to the oval office--claimed he never wanted to be president and was not qualified. GWB will rate mediocre IMO. Too soon to say in any event. William Henry Harrison died in office after only 30 days! Why him? Andrew Jackson is much revered, but he was basically a butcher. Research "Trail of Tears" and you'll understand.

Buchanan and his cronies, Chief Justise Roger B. Taney, to promote slavery in the territories. Buchanan personally lobbied his fellow Pennsylvanian Justice Robert Cooper Grier to vote with the majority in that case to uphold the right of owning slave property.

A. Jackson was good and bad as was Nixon.

"Research "Trail of Tears" and you'll understand."

Yes, it was part of the party politics that got Jackson elected and Van Buren enforced it by removing 7,000 Indians. Over 38,000 Native Americans were moved in a 10 year period. Lots of pressure for westward expansion - not an excuse though.

Perhaps is not a top 5??

I haven't had a chance to see the series (or read the book by David McCullough) on John Adams. Have you?

I have read his books on both Truman and John Adams. A bit dry in places but good and very well written.

I haven't seen the series, would like to though.

Edited by Tokogirl