Wanted: Multipitch pack

Alpinfox

The blitzcrag is perfect for

1) carrying your puffy jacket and water up ice climbs

2) carrying your water and food up long crag routes like say Angels Crest

It's not necessarily so great for carrying footwear or bivi gear or ice axes but you can always clip your flipflops to your harness anyway.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

GoLite Ion...basic as it gets, perfect for what you are wanting, super light (9oz @ 25l) and will hold everything you have listed but not a whole lot more. Mine takes a XL LTW belay jacket, the new MSR, 2 liters bottles, some food, 2 headlamps and two pair of heavy winter gloves with a little room to spare.

Couple pair of size 12 runners and the rest of your gear wouldn't be a problem

Most importantly to me it actually comes in sizes. The Ion has botha useable chest and waist strap. So if you have to climb with it, it won't feel like a monkey hanging on your back.

In the last 3 months I have used a BD 30L (the heaviest of the bunch), The Kharzi 35 (a fav), the Cilo 30 and a Grivel Rock Lt sack. Grivel's Rock lt is also a very slick climbing sack, but no sizes.

The Go Lite Ion is made from super durable Dyneema® gridstop fabric, 9oz with nothing to strip and a retail under $50.

That is a hard combination to beat.

Actually . . . weighs 3lbs 15oz, 3lbs 6oz without the lid - 1800ci/30L might only be just double or less your need - and so svelte . . .

A good option on a longer day as you can use it to pack in the rack and reasonably wear it on the stone.

Though granted - not the best second pack right out of the car . . .

You have gotten lots of good ideas.

Got mine on sale but yeah - $360 is steep.

Correction re: Cold Cold World Valdez pack

I jus have to say, duh.... :rolleyes:

I did a disservice to the maker in my earlier statements. For [1/2 day+ technical] climbs I now recommend this pack, it's very versatile. If you simply remove the foam backpad, the "helmet bonk" issue is completely solved. I stuffed it with all the gear mentioned in the OP -and then some- with no problem or discomfort while climbing. Leave the lid and pad at home and you got a great and tough multi pitch summit sack. Or, you can keep the lid and pad in tact to make it an approach pack as well. It maybe pushing it for over nighters though. There's a lot you can change and mess with on this pack.

I just picked up an Osprey Daylite and test drove it on a couple RR multi's this weekend. It was light, had comfy mesh shoulder straps that didn't constrict climbing movement, and had pockets on the sides for water bottles. We easily fit in two pairs of shoes, two down vest-type jackets and snacks for two people. Only thing it lacked was external loops for clipping things to the outside, had we wanted to. But it still did the job just fine.

I almost got the Bullet--liked its compact profile and light weight-- but it seemed a tad small for what I like to take up a multi(I get cold easily, so I bring lots of insulation) and the fit of the shoulder straps seemed strange.

• 11 months later...

Randy @ CCW made me up a custom Ozone made specifically for the second's sack on ice and alpine. Comes in actual sizes that fit. Cold Cold World's sewing and materials are impecable. Truely old world traditional craftsmanship and design with no need for excuses as Randy sews up each and every pack himself.

Been using my Ozone all winter and am very pleased. Mine is a bit longer in the body but just big enough for a moderate, over night Canadian winter climb if you go light and climb fast.

2588_1116872237551_1099338977_30396500_4590368_n.jpg

Lid (which takes 2 one liter bottles) is stuffed in the pack in the picture. Not a pack you'll likely wear out even when used as a haul bag on rock.

Randy @ CCW made me up a custom Ozone made specifically for the second's sack on ice and alpine

Ive seen you post this pic everywhere and I keep asking myself why do you need a 35 litre pack for a few pitches of ice?

I was also wondering if you use it in the alpine where do you store your tools on the walk out?

There is a reason I have posted this "everywhere". Really good climbing packs are hard to find. If you have the need the price, design and materials are right on this one.

The CCW pack isn't as simple as it looks. Tools can either go in the pack...it is good bit deeper than 50 cm. Or you can lay them across the pack top and use the two straps there to lash them down. Crampons and a rope go there too when required, helmet just under them. The two "rope" straps easily hold everything in place. Lid goes over that.

Trick to a 30/35L pack is it is just big enough to get everything into while walking in to an overnight alpine climb, while still small enough to drop the lid into and have something managable for the second on hard climbing. Or in this case a bag clean for hauling as well. Same pack works well for rock like Libery Bell, WA Column, Half Dome or just a day cragging.

If you are only doing a few pitches of ice or rock you don't need a pack. But if you need 2 liters of water, a belay jacket or two, head lamps, extra gloves, tat for the raps and some food the size works well going in and out and most importantly on the climb.

As many miles as I have put on a pack of this style with boots and crampons, I've put many more with the same pack and a set of rock gear while wearing runners. I've had a good many packs over the years and this is the size I have used the most.

Used it as carry on luggage, hauled it up Libery Bell, lugged it around Pashastin many times and is the sack of choice for Canadian Alpine.

Here are the features I like on this pack.

Starting with the fact the size was actually hand made to fit me.

30L

ballistic cloth for durability

pack cloth collar to seal bag when required.

Back pad is a removeable folded foam pad in a zippered pouch

2 liter plus a bit on the top pocket

Top pocket easily drops into main compartment

for climbing and keeps the 2L of water/weight closer to back.

Top lid is held down by one fastex buckle

top lid has elastic on the siders to seal the pack

small zippered pocket with key latch under lid

dbl rope straps on top of main bag

nicely curved and well padded shoulder straps

well positioned chest strap

usable waist strapwith small supportive wings

I do see you are happy with it but I am just not convinced

I have put tools in the pack before and generally something gets punctured, especially with alpine tools and the bottom spike.

This CCW pack doesnt have a crampon area either, where you can lash them too and not have to worry about punctures and it also seems quite expensive?

As far as ice cragging goes a 10L bullet pack is just fine and I can fit a belay jacket and all the other stuff just fine.

For something longer or in the alpine I would suggest the 30/35L MEC alpenlite pack over the CCW ozone

More than 50% cheaper not including exchange would would be even cheaper for you, half the weight, two tool holsters, crampon patch, guaranteed for life, pack folds up into the lid for travel or packing, foam back pad for bivies, and removable compression straps if you want the clean look like the CCW and you can save even more weight.

Sounds like the ozone pack is a little tougher if you plan on doing lots of hauling, but for a pitch or two here and there the MEC pack will be just fine and if you rip it you can get it fixed for free.

5008503s_v1_m56577569830727485.jpg

MEC

Jmace not trying to convince anyone. Just want to make sure others know it is available. Either you recognize the value of this style of pack or you don't. I've gone through a lot of packs to end up here.

I haven't had an issue poking holes in things no matter how badly I pack. Less, is often more, YMMV of course. But you are right my custom Ozone is not a pack for simple MULTI PITCH ROCK climbs which is what the thread requested. The basic Ozone would be a better solution.

You calling an Ozone expensive at $95? When the comparable BD Speed 30l is $120 and the Arcteryx Khazri 35 is $175? My custom Ozone was $124.00 delivered!

Everyone seems to want the lightest pack made....not a big deal to me...I want a pack that will last a few seasons. Few extra .oz and a perfect fit to accomplish that are worth the effort to me.

Sit your ass down and give me some of your precious time and you might well learn a thing or two

I was sitting my ass down and listening..and I was not convinced thats all. I geuss your right I dont see the value in this pack for the price and what you get. Yea I am saying that 95$ US is expensive when for 55$ CAN I get, in my mind, a similar pack

Im not sure what you are implying by simple multi-pitch, maybe you mean hauling? But I actually think that pack would be better for rock climbs than ice climbs, at least to me its missing some stuff I find important in a pack wether its hauling one tool and a pair of light weight poons up a rock climb or ice cragging or as you say overnight trips.

I am not swayed by lightweight, its a bonus, but as I said MEC stuff is guaranteed for life so plan on having it for more than a few seasons.

But in the end its you who has to be happy, and I saw you hyping it up as the be all pack so I thought I would question it, hope you didnt take it personally

Cheers

Jesse

Fair enough...my words so I'll do my best, not taking it personally at all.

Let me back up a bit and see if I can better explain why I think this is such a good pack for me. If you have similar requirements it might well be a good pack for you. If not there are dozens of similar size packs being made. Just not "similar" packs.

Here is what I am looking for in a climbing pack and what this pack was specifically designed for.

First and formost I want a pack to climb in. Be it jugging, or climbing hard rock/mixed or ice as a second. (pic your own grade here) I want to be able to solo with this pack at my own limits and when pressed, easily drop it and rig it for hauling even mid pitch.

If pressed I want to be able to stand in it at a hanging bivi and not worry about blowing up the pack.

If I am going to haul it I don't want anything hanging up. I'd pull the straps if I could (next version I will be able to) It also need the pack to make it through more than one climb with all that abuse and come back for more with no repairs or second guessing.

Has to carry 2 one liter bottles in the top pocket and still have some room. Key hook and a small under lid pocket for trivial stuff like a head lamp or two is good.

I want a removeable bivy pad...I may not remove it but at least I can empty the pack and sleep on it if required. If I have the luxury of pulling the pad and actually laying down better yet.

It needs to carry a full two or three days worth of alpine kit even if it is with some effort. The lid and the dbl rope straps make that work. A extendable lid and a small skirt would be even better (next version as well). I never want to strap anything to the outside of the pack....no matter how it is done you risk loosing what ever you strap on the outside and if you have to climb (which often happens) with that stuff on the outside of the pack it will always be a bother. Easier to do with a bigger pack. But smaller packs limit what you take and how well you'll climb.

Getting everything inside, including crampons and axes is a lot easier and safer than you might first imagine. I don't use a crampon bag but do use a screw bag and BD pic covers.

Here is a typical list of what I might carry although less is always better:

two tools (alpine with at least one spike)

harness

1/2 harware/pins/cams,screws, biners, runners

helmet

lwt bag

bivy jacket

bivy tent or bag

spare gloves/hat

stove-pot and fuel cans

food

1/2 rope

Most importantly the pack needs to fit your back. Straps needs to fit your shoulders. The waist belt and sternum straps have to be in the right places and be the right sizes to go under the gear and harness. It is the only way you can comfortably carry the weight required.

Never met Randy Radcliff who hand sews each and every CCW pack. But I know his reputation and climbs. He has done as much serious alpine climbing as most. His vision is similar to mine but I don't have to sell the packs so I can get by with having only what I think is required. Nothing more, nothing less.

I would have paid dbl the amount that I was billed for this pack.

After all it just made two of my new 30l packs absolete. I could have saved $295. plus shipping and tax!

Few pack makers have that background in use and design.

Most anything will work for climbing Outer Space or something like it. I don't take packs on climbs like that. Didn't on the longer free routes in the valley either. I would for a two day trip up Half Dome or El Cap. I do generally take a pack on Canadian ice. Anything happens and the sun goes down there things can get serious fast.

Although this pack is designed for hard alpine climbing it is nice that it can easily be used for cragging as well. I like knowing that you would have to work really hard to wear this pack out. My last one lasted a long time.

But I could easily wear out my BD Speed or the Arcteryx Khazri in a few trips if I treated them the same as I will the CCW. Other packs I have tried either didn't fit or the workmanship so shoddy I would not trust them for even a day trip to the crags. A life time warrenty is only good if the pack holds up long enough to get it back to the store.

And finally if you need tool attachments, a crampon pouch or a lighter material easy enough to order a pack made exactly the way you want it built.