mt vernon area?

jimmy b

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As soon as it melts out, you should check out Split Rock. It's at about 3000 ft elevation in the Cultus Mountains. A really pretty place that's not very developed.

what electrical program are you going through? Is it through Skagit Valley? I've been thinking of going to electrical school as well.

Dont know if you're looking for climbing, but if so, you might want to check out mt. erie:

http://www.summitpost.org/mountain/rock/153999/mount-erie.html

Also, this book is good for hiking the N. Cascades, just be aware of how much is going to be covered in snow for the next few months:

http://www.amazon.com/Dont-Waste-Your-North-Cascades/dp/0899971822/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1207948625&sr=8-1

There's a place mentioned in one of the Footsore books called the Devil's Rock Garden. It's an easy walk into, in the Arlington area, and seems like a potentially fruitful place for bouldering -- there are rocks from the size of suitcases to the size of houses. Has anyone spent any time there? Is it worthwhile?

Woodchips, I thought that book was terrible.

Well, you have to get past the bad puns and annoying writing style, but it is well organized and more current than the 100 hikes book. I use the 100 hikes more, but I think that the former is good for someone new to the area, as it's fairly descriptive of what you'll see and opinionated as to which hikes the authors likes. It definitely is heavily biased to hikes with big views.

There's a place mentioned in one of the Footsore books called the Devil's Rock Garden. It's an easy walk into, in the Arlington area, and seems like a potentially fruitful place for bouldering -- there are rocks from the size of suitcases to the size of houses. Has anyone spent any time there? Is it worthwhile?

This was in the Kloke "Skagit Boulders and Outcrops" guide from the 70s too.

Dallas Kloke has been exploring a new crag he calls Coal Mountain, located south of Hamilton and the Skagit on on the Finney-Cumberland road at about 3200' elevation. It has many moderate routes ranging from 5.7 to 5.10, but not much more harder than that. There is the potential for many more routes, however.

It is the same area. According to my "guide book", there are 24 routes on the cliffs dating back to 1971, a few being multi-pitch, with a good probability of more having been established the past year. The crag is larger than Split Rock with easier access, and has some huge boulders for those of that persuasion.