How do you treat your gear?

Clarence

On shelving, restaurant bus tubs from Costco work pretty well to hold gear and rifle through when getting ready for a trip. They also hold the cooking equipment and groceries on a car trip and are easily shuffled between trunk and picnic table, or slid underneath the bed you have in the back of your pickup.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have see through rubbermaid boxes and milk carton plastic thingies that I keep organized by category. So one is aid gear like pins, hammers, hooks, aiders and jugs in one. Free climbing lead gear in another, and toprope stuff like beater biners, nuts and short rope sections in another.

Then I just toss the $5,000 + worth of stainless steel bolting shit like Fixe chain anchors and bolts which I bought to piss Dwayner off all over the place. Nah, really, I put most of that stuff in old empty wooden French wine cases which I had earlier turned into piss without his help. Ropes are all in rope bags stacked to the ceiling next to empty backbacks.

I'm guessing all this is in your 5,000 sq. ft. storage unit you need to stash all that gear?

i fondle my gear as often as possible

I try to stay away from teasing myself like that. All it would do is make me depressed that I am not out every weekend. Someday hopefully I will get back into the routine.

As far as how I treat my gear, it depends on what else is going on. Sometimes I neatly organize it or hang it to dry after using it, other time is sits on the floor for a while waiting to be put away.

I have a closet in my house that is 20 feet long by 7 feet wide--that's where I keep my stuff

I have shelves for everything

I hang all my clothes and sleeping bags

All my climbing hardwear is hung on a pegpoard--I have found the pegpoard extremely helpful

This organization helps me out becuase all I have to do is visually "scan" for something and there it is.

I have noticed that I rarely forget anything becuase I can see everything when I pack.

I use the same set-up in a 33'x 45' garage.