Ozone Climber discusson

billcoe

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, very interesting, right at that spot: it looks like the road access almost encompasses right where the cliff is, and the USA/CRGNSA is right below it. The cliff looks like the dividing line.

Thanks all for doing the work to find out who owns what.

What does CRGNSA stand for?

The CRGNSA folks in hood river have been putting together a mgt plan for the land between Bingen and Lyle WA. Apparently a similar effort is happening for the cape horn holdings. Stan Hitsau (sp??) is the recreation manager and is climber friendly, basically b/c (I think) climbers in this area have such a low impact. Mtn bikers downhillers/free riders are the issue here.

But he did have the ecologist and wildlife guys check out each of the cliffs out here (see an old portland guide for reference) and found no concerns. I don't think the OZ would present concerns either, (maybe the trail sliding down the hill????). Stan is aware of the OZ, but has no info on it other than its existance.

So perhaps a climbing mgt plan for the OZ to present to Stan???? I don't know. IMO it may be better to be proactive rather than waiting for the hikers that wander down there to make a stink...

If the CRGNSA 'owns' / manages the land, which they appear to, then things could get a bit complicated if WSDOT plans do anything which significantly affects the parking situation. If, say, moving the road north eliminates access to the current parking, then I suspect to accomodate our wishes for parking related changes WSDOT would have to formally work with CRGNSA as the 'owner' to implement them.

It's all speculation until we understand exactly what WSDOT has in mind. Haven't heard back from Justin yet, but will give him a shout back if I don't hear from him this week.

Just got off the phone with Justin King and he was quite cordial. From what he said, it sounds as though the Ozone dodges the bullet for the most part. The project has two SR-14 straightening sections of interest - one that ends at the driveway to the west of the first (west) pullout, and a second that starts about 500ft. east of the road just after the second (east) pullout - so it appears to skip over Ozone completely.

The only likely issue will be parking during construction as they very well may use those pullouts for staging equipment or just not want folks parking there in general. Given the pullouts are technically only for emergency parking we would be well to look for alternative parking during the constrcution (not for two years) - I believe Jimmy O said he might be able to arrange some nearby.

Justin also said they'll be doing couple of public comment periods before they start so to keep an eye out for those announcements.

Ditto on the thanks.

Jim had talked to the landowner and Oregon View road is permissible and even encouraged to park on. I am the only person I have seen to take them up on though. Don't block access to the field there as they mow it periodically, esp in the spring.