Computer Help?? Windows stuff...

Blake

I had windows XP on my laptop, but after someone corrupting part of it, I could not boot into windows.

I didn't have my original CD, but borrowed a windows 2000 Pro CD from a room mate, and loaded that onto my computer. However, when I boot into windows 2000, I am unable to access my keyboard or touchpad to move the cursor. I think this might be because windows 2000 is not recognizing the pre-installed driver for these device, and therefor is not communicating with them. Does this sound possible?

If so, is there any way to install drivers if the keys and mousepad appear inoperable?

At this point I just want to save the photos and music off my hard drive ~(4gigs or so, either onto a CD or Flash drive) and then re-format the whole hard drive and use Linux.

Thanks a lot for any help!

For some background, my computer is a Dell Inspiron 600m laptop. I know my keyboard itself is still functioning, because the arrows/"enter"/F? keys all work during setup.

Please don't reply with something useless like "Use a mac" or whatever...

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know how to build computers, I just want to save the pics and music on my Hard drive, and then reformat it. The HD itself is not corrupt or damaged, so this shouldn't seem to be a huge issue, but it seems to be...

you can try burning a self-contained knoppix linux cd on another machine and booting up into linux. then you can potentially copy the files to elsewhere before you do something like reformat.

you can also try borrowing someone else's keyboard and mouse and plug them into your laptop... sometimes that will work

Try this. Once you are booted up, right click on "My computer," then select "Manage" then "device manager" under system tools. This will list all of the devices attached to your system. Since some of the drivers were not installed when you loaded windows 2000, will likely see a number of yellow question marks under the devices that are missing drivers. These are the drivers you must update. Next, log on to Dell.com and search "drivers and downloads" for the model of the laptop you own. Download the missing drivers you need to your desktop and follow the "read me" directions under each installation package to install them (can be a hassle). Once you have loaded up the correct ones and reboot your devices should work. Good luck!!

Using a combination of the above advise (thanks Gary, others....) I got my pics and music off my computer. I'm just going to re-format my HD now and run Linux, instead of Windows.

Anyone have a favorite/suggested linux that they run? Any tips for a first-timer>?

Thanks!

yeah, i second ubuntu as the easiest of the linuxes. i dunno if linux is the right solution for you though (aside from its cheapness). i guess since it's free you can give it a try.

one problem i've always had is it seems to be a step behind windows regarding the latest formats, e.g. Adobe Flash 9, Word 2007 docx, etc.

when i was in undergrad i went w/ linux because it was cool to hate billg, but honestly some things were more awkward. i've been mostly using windows in grad school, though i've had access to linux terminals for certain stuff. having a mac arriving soon.. we'll see how i like it.