Jeff Lowe

mneagle

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually, he seemed pretty alright with it when I saw him early last year. He's still active as hell with all his various efforts on behalf of climbers and he seemed to have come to terms with his illness and the limitations it imposes on him. After even a few minutes talking with him you get the impression he's fairly happy in general to have simply survived the hundreds of times and ways he should have been dead along the way.

It's almost as if you can hear the old SNL character Roseanne Roseannadanna saying "Well, Jane, it just goes to show you, it's always something." He clearly takes it all in stride and a day at a time like all the rest of us, except maybe he does it with far better humor than most of us would or do.

I met Jeff once in '92. He'd come into Trango Mountaineering to visit and talk product. The company I worked for was right next door to Trango. At the time he was very active in climbing and interested in all aspects of climbing including stuff I was doing.

Overcoming an bad injury or any medical problem is a tough thing to do. Just as tough as a really hard climb.

Wow, that is truly sad. I, too, had heard along the way of his health problems. It might have been in Climbing or some other rag. I never thought it would have been MS. :(

I have to wonder about this quote, though:

The first climber free climbs 10 feet to anchor a rope in the rock, the next climber follows and sets the next rope 10 feet higher and so forth.

That would truly take a really long time to accomplish any route.

I think the reporter's a little off on that one...

I haven't had the opportunity to meet Jeff Lowe, but 25 years ago when I first started (rock) and ice climbing, I worshipped him and Yvon Chouinard, and the ice they climbed up (ground they walked upon). :)

I still worship them both; just look at my ice tools:

A pair of X-15s for my primaries and a pair of Hummingbirds for back-ups. :cool:

I shook Jeff's hand at a trade show in Seattle in the early 80's, didn't wash that hand for a week. :laf:

I felt the same way when he came to Spokane for a presentation in the mid-80s. I was pretty tongue-tied when I had the opportunity to speak with him.

I haven't had the opportunity to meet Jeff Lowe, but 25 years ago when I first started (rock) and ice climbing, I worshipped him and Yvon Chouinard, and the ice they climbed up (ground they walked upon). :)

I still worship them both; just look at my ice tools:

A pair of X-15s for my primaries and a pair of Hummingbirds for back-ups. :cool:

I second the worship part, Sobo. You still use a pair of Hummingbirds: whoa, those are museum pieces! And I thought I was old using my Moser Pulsars, when I do get out on the frozen stuff.

Unfortunately I've had at least a couple friends with MS. It's really tough overall for anyone, of course, but incredibly tragic irony when it afflicts one of our greatest mountaineering icons. I'm only an occasional lurker on supertaco, but enjoy reading his posts. Jeff Lowe has always been a true inspiration in the physical and mental realms of what is possible in climbing, and continues to be as he moves forward with strength, dignity and humility.

Edited by pindude

...You still use a pair of Hummingbirds: whoa, those are museum pieces!

No, the X-15s are my primary museum pieces. The 'birds are the back-ups. The Birds haven't been swung in quite some time.

You got my original Coonyard hexes for free. NOLSe made financial overtures to help me part with the Hummingbirds, but I just couldn't do it.

Jeff Lowe has always has been a true inspiration in the physical and mental realms of what is possible in climbing, and continues to be as he moves forward with strength, dignity and humility.

Yep, he's still a model for everyone of making the most of whatever cards they've been dealt - good or bad. He's the same wildman as ever, he just expresses it differently these days.

You got my original Coonyard hexes for free. NOLSe made financial overtures to help me part with the Hummingbirds, but I just couldn't do it.

I'm still grateful for the hexes--they went to a young climber who couldn't afford pro and really needed them. They went to good use. Haven't seen him in a couple years but I'm guessing they're still being used. The Hummingbirds, on the other hand--with their place in the history of climbing and today's better tools--belong on somebody's wall. I'll raise NOLSe by $10! ;):laf:

I just poached this from RC.COM. I wish I could go, it sounds awesome.

Jeff Lowe and OGDEN CLIMBING PARKS announce

Cassar Jewelers ClimbFest - Ogden, Utah 2008

A Celebration of Mountain Adventure Art, Literature & Environment.

Exhibits from April 3-17

Main Events April 18 & 19

We are hosting a Literary & Arts Festival where attendees can get up close and personal with climbers, authors and artists.

Call for art, literature and photo submissions.

There will be cash and product awards for literature, art and photography. Please see our website for more information: www.ogdenclimbingparks.com or call us at;

(801) 392-9181

An example of some of the featured presentations:

Dick Dorworth will be reading segments from his latest book “Night Driving.”

There will be celebration of the 30th Anniversary of Pat Ament’s “Master of Rock,” a biography of pioneer boulderer John Gill.

Ogden Climbing Parks instructional staff will be running a clinic for the public to teach the basics of bouldering.

We will have a cocktail hour at the Grand Ballroom of the Union Station where the winning art will be on display and available for purchase (if not already sold). Books will also be available for purchase. There will also be a silent auction.

Dan Schroeder, Chairman of the Ogden Sierra Club will present an idea to preserve open space by securing designated wilderness for the mountains east of Ogden.

John Bachar, one of the world’s greatest free climbers will present a slideshow.

Get more information and tickets at:

www.ogdenclimbingparks.com

(801) 392-9181

anastasia@ogdenclimbingparks.com

Jeff Lowe and OGDEN CLIMBING PARKS announce

Cassar Jewelers ClimbFest - Ogden, Utah 2008

A Celebration of Mountain Adventure Art, Literature & Environment.

Exhibits from April 3-17

Main Events April 18 & 19

mtneagle-

You should cross-post this to the Events Forum. Will get more exposure.