Rules for cooking

kevbone

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A friend described her French cooking course as "First you start with a pound of butter...". :tup:

Hah, that is the classic saying. I've been trying to pick up French cuisine lately myself.

It is true to some extent, but not that bad. If browning or sauteing, oil can be substituted in place of butter, to reduce the saturated fat. I've had success too with reducing the amount of butter by 1/3 and still getting much the right texture/flavor.

It seems a lot of the butter/cream gets used in sauces or creamy soups. The cream isn't as bad as butter, as it's about 35-40% fat. As for poaching liquids or buttery sauces, you don't eat all the poaching liquid (some will be used for a sauce or nage), and sauces are applied in moderation, due to their concentrated flavor. (Last night I reduced 3C wine and 2C stock to less than a cup.)

Where the saturated fat and cholesterol really seems to hit is with souffles, custards, creme anglais, pastry doughs, etc., especially due to egg yolks. But I'd rather eat one of those once a week than a twinkie.

The other thing to keep in mind is that when a recipe calls for a stick of butter, it's probably for at least four people.

A friend described her French cooking course as "First you start with a pound of butter...". :tup:

Hah, that is the classic saying. I've been trying to pick up French cuisine lately myself.

It is true to some extent, but not that bad. If browning or sauteing, oil can be substituted in place of butter, to reduce the saturated fat. I've had success too with reducing the amount of butter by 1/3 and still getting much the right texture/flavor.

It seems a lot of the butter/cream gets used in sauces or creamy soups. The cream isn't as bad as butter, as it's about 35-40% fat. As for poaching liquids or buttery sauces, you don't eat all the poaching liquid (some will be used for a sauce or nage), and sauces are applied in moderation, due to their concentrated flavor. (Last night I reduced 3C wine and 2C stock to less than a cup.)

Where the saturated fat and cholesterol really seems to hit is with souffles, custards, creme anglais, pastry doughs, etc., especially due to egg yolks. But I'd rather eat one of those once a week than a twinkie.

The other thing to keep in mind is that when a recipe calls for a stick of butter, it's probably for at least four people.

Also the French know about portion control. :-)

Step 1- Marinate steak tips in oil, soy, and weird mix bought in grocery store for a while.

Step 2- Soak corn on the cob for 30 mins in water.

Step 3- Prepare grill.

Step 4- Wrap corn in tinfoil.

Step 5- Cook corn for 10 to 15 mins, turning. Then add steak to grill.

Step 6- While the steak is grilling don't touch it! Sear it, then flip it.

Step 7- Once at desired rawness remove from grill, along with corn.

Step 8- Let it sit, and run inside and grab a very cold Sam Adams Summer ale.

Step 9- Eat

Step 10- Repeat joygasims in mouth means a job well done.

istockphoto_1574966_thumbs_up_naked_guy_with_moustache.jpg

Step 1- Marinate steak tips in oil, soy, and weird mix bought in grocery store for a while.

Step 2- Soak corn on the cob for 30 mins in water.

Step 3- Prepare grill.

Step 4- Wrap corn in tinfoil.

Step 5- Cook corn for 10 to 15 mins, turning. Then add steak to grill.

Step 6- While the steak is grilling don't touch it! Sear it, then flip it.

Step 7- Once at desired rawness remove from grill, along with corn.

Step 8- Let it sit, and run inside and grab a very cold Sam Adams Summer ale.

Step 9- Eat

Step 10- Repeat joygasims in mouth means a job well done.

istockphoto_1574966_thumbs_up_naked_guy_with_moustache.jpg

Don't burn the steaks! The bloodier the better.