Anyone ever lost a kid before?

RuMR

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My five-year-old daughter hid from me one time in Sears. She was in the middle of one of those round clothes racks. I called her name and when she didn't show up, I told a cashier to call security. Soon after that, my daughter came out with a little grin on her face. I think the whole incident lasted no more than 15 minutes, but I was terrified. I can't imagine going through that for TWO HOURS. I'm glad everything worked out okay for you. Whew.

My five-year-old daughter hid from me one time in Sears. She was in the middle of one of those round clothes racks. I called her name and when she didn't show up, I told a cashier to call security. Soon after that, my daughter came out with a little grin on her face. I think the whole incident lasted no more than 15 minutes, but I was terrified. I can't imagine going through that for TWO HOURS. I'm glad everything worked out okay for you. Whew.

Heh. My mother was out shopping with my sister (age 4). My sister didn't want to leave the store so she grabbed onto the rack and started yelling at the top of her lungs "YOU ARE NOT MY MOMMY! I'M NOT SUPPOSED TO GO WITH YOU! YOU ARE NOT MY MOMMY!" My mother has said she was never so embarassed before or sense.

Heh. My mother was out shopping with my sister (age 4). My sister didn't want to leave the store so she grabbed onto the rack and started yelling at the top of her lungs "YOU ARE NOT MY MOMMY! I'M NOT SUPPOSED TO GO WITH YOU! YOU ARE NOT MY MOMMY!" My mother has said she was never so embarassed before or sense.

Oh that is BRILLIANT!! BAWAHAHAHAHA...so, is she running a company by now??? HAHAHAHA

Oh that is BRILLIANT!! BAWAHAHAHAHA...so, is she running a company by now??? HAHAHAHA

When I was a kid I drove my mother nuts. She'd chase me outside with a wooden spoon (with a hole to raise a welt) in hand. I'd climb a tree - 50 feet or so. Then she'd get a garden hose and try to spray me, and I'd yell at the top of my lungs "Child Abuse! Child Abuse!" and yell our address.

I'm kinda tempted towards the cells because they could be used other places...however, in the woods, maybe radios are better???

Steven's has cell service...We are on season's passes so that is our "local" hill...

We ski at Stevens as well, but I only have had spotty service there.

when Hikeing in the woods it has always been the radio.

Oh, one house rule is, if you can not obey me at home where it is safe, then I can not trust you to obey me in the woods where it is dangerous. So if you do not obey me here, then I will not take you there.

it works!

We are on season's passes

Dude, you are so outed as a total freshiez kinda guy, I don't ever want to hear you griping about skiing again.

skiing sucks...for the record, i'm a total hack, but i don't want to condemn my kids to hackdom...

its too wet to climb locally around here and the kids aren't big on plastic...they go, but mainly to humor me...

they LOVE skiing...Droober is racing this year and he says, and i quote, "skiing is the funnest ever...its so much fun to go as fast as i can and everything they are teaching me is to go faster and not wreck bad"...I can hardly keep up with his ass these days...

The other thing...he was really touching the other day. He said "Dad, i know you really really love climbing, but i don't like it so much...its ok in the summer when there's no snow and nothing else to do. I don't want you to be mad at me cuz i don't like it as much as you...is that ok??" SO i beat his ass silly...just kidding...

I told him...hey, whatever you do, do it as hard as you can but only if you like it not if i like it...

I'm kinda tempted towards the cells because they could be used other places...however, in the woods, maybe radios are better???

Steven's has cell service...We are on season's passes so that is our "local" hill...

We ski at Stevens as well, but I only have had spotty service there.

when Hikeing in the woods it has always been the radio.

Oh, one house rule is, if you can not obey me at home where it is safe, then I can not trust you to obey me in the woods where it is dangerous. So if you do not obey me here, then I will not take you there.

it works!

I hear you on the obeying/minding...these are good kids, great kids actually...it was an unintentional situation that he made worse by trying to make it better.

I told him...hey, whatever you do, do it as hard as you can but only if you like it not if i like it...

Okay, so my reply may belong in the Cafe rather than here, but that makes you golden as a parent. For some kids, their thing is absolutely not going to be what turns your crank, so all you can do is support them to do whatever gets them jazzed. Even if it's skiing or baton twirling. :tup:

Twice I have had the feeling of a "lost kid." The second one was when my daughter was about 3 and decided it would be fun to play hide-n-seek at the park one day. Only lasted for about three minutes, but I could have killed innocient people during that time.

The first was when she was about 6 months old. I went out to the car for a load of groceries and did not lock the screen door. She came flying out behind me in her walker, flew off the porch, darn near did a perfect flip and nearly stuck the landing, but went over just a little too far and came down on her forehead on the cement. That was the first time I thought I lost her. I died inside that day.

I feel your pain RuMR.

I like that one, I'll have to remember it.

My brother, a father of 12, told me, "A tie goes to the parents"

Edited by sirwoofalot

Twice I have had the feeling of a "lost kid." The second one was when my daughter was about 3 and decided it would be fun to play hide-n-seek at the park one day. Only lasted for about three minutes, but I could have killed innocient people during that time.

The first was when she was about 6 months old. I went out to the car for a load of groceries and did not lock the screen door. She came flying out behind me in her walker, flew off the porch, darn near did a perfect flip and nearly stuck the landing, but went over just a little too far and came down on her forehead on the cement. That was the first time I thought I lost her. I died inside that day.

I feel your pain RuMR.

you know, the thing to take from these experiences are how absolutely precious and valuable your child feels to you at that very moment and to REMEMBER that when they are pissing you off later (as every child can take his/her parents to the very edge of patience and beyond!). At least some good will come from these "bad" experiences...

Edited by RuMR

When my son was born, the instant he came out a wrist ban went on me, and my wife, and an ankle band on my son.

They did the entire test and after a while it was off to the nursery.

Like a Child with a new toy I was off to see how the little squirt was doing after being gone for only 5 min.

I get to the nursery and the check my wrist band and we are looking around and I don’t see him. But hey all new born look alike, Right?

WRONG! I could instantly see my son was nowhere to be found.

Nurse on duty said well lets do a systematic check.

HE WAS NOT THERE!

With out yelling, which was a major feat for me, I told the nurse in a very firm tone that she will locate my son, NOW!

As it turns out my son was border line premature so they had carted him off to an incubation room. And sure enough there he was.