aid climbing - vantage? anywhere else dry?

wbk

Hello fellow CCers –

I am hoping to practice aid climbing this winter. I realize index is probably the closest, best place for this near Seattle, but it’s looking a little cold and wet this weekend. Is it feasible to aid climb at vantage or is the rock considered too soft? Any suggested routes/areas?

Thanks,

Ben

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I usually just suffer in the wetness at index. City Park is good in the rain. Ironhorse is fun when its wet too(Ballznuts are useful if traversing right after start). The first belay is right in the path of a constant stream of water.

Possible dry places for aid in rain:

Squamish: Nightmare, Zombie Roof

Index: A ways right of City Park when you round a corner and go up a hill, there is a dryish place. There is a crescent shaped crack under a roof. If I recall right, there was only one bolt for the descent. That was the best part! Needed a few LA's and KB's.

My friends wall: we put up a string of bolt hangers on a huge roof for when we get to tired to hold on with our hands :)

Wouldn't both cold, pouring rain and expanding cracks by definition be 'classic' aid in the Valley sense of the word? Going to Vantage and nailing loose columns while it's dumping slush sounds like a perfect way to practice for an El Cap winter ascent.

What Valley are you talking about? Yosemite is all about dicey pin scars in the sweet California sunshine. Certainly you can get your fill if expando cracks, and rain and snow, but by no means would this be considered the classic El Cap experience.

• 2 weeks later...