Denali Expedition 2008 - Looking for 10-12 member

vertical_hiker

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If any of you would read the Inferno you'd know that Dante saw some former Popes and other religious folks in hell. Having religious credentials may not save you from Cerberus.

CerberusDante.jpg

"Many will come to me and say 'Father, Father, have I not done great things for you, and I will say, 'Depart from me, for you have never known me. For when I was hungrey you never fed me, when I was thursty you never gave me drink, when I was in prison you never visited me'".

When GOD tells you, "Depart from me...." that will be hell.

When GOD tells you, "Come to you rest my good and faithfull servent." That will be pure heaven.

It is a heart issue.

If any of you would read the Inferno you'd know that Dante saw some former Popes and other religious folks in hell. Having religious credentials may not save you from Cerberus.

CerberusDante.jpg

No surprise there.

Empress Theodora of the 11th century had the Pope assasinated because he would not go along with her wishes. She then instated her own Pope. It was then that reincarnation was removed as an option for Christians. Many other bizzarre tidbits were changed.

Her Pope must be in Hell. Unless she was God's servant in which case the previous Pope is in hell. But that would condone assasination so probably not. Maybe they are all in Hell for making Christianity BOOK based when the teachings of Jesus clearly speak out against basing your salvation on a "code".

No Feck. Christians are not any closer to heaven than non-christians unless they continually admit their mistakes and guenuineley attempt to change/repent. It is not over until you are sizzling or basking.

CerberusDante.jpg

"Many will come to me and say 'Father, Father, have I not done great things for you, and I will say, 'Depart from me, for you have never known me. For when I was hungrey you never fed me, when I was thursty you never gave me drink, when I was in prison you never visited me'".

When GOD tells you, "Come to you rest my good and faithfull servent." That will be pure heaven.

It is a heart issue.

Think it more than a heart issue. There plenty more warning of hell if you want it.

"And the devil that deceived them was cast into the lake of fire and brimstone, where the beast and the false prophet are, and shall be tormented day and night for ever and ever." (Revelation 20:10)

Matthew 25:41 (Jesus speaking to people at final judgment), ...Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels.

Revelation 14:11, And the smoke of their torment ascendeth up for ever and ever: and they have no rest day nor night...

Revelation 20:12, 15, And I saw the dead, small and great, stand before God; and the books were opened: and another book was opened, which is the book of life...And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire

Matthew 10:28, And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.

Luke 12:5, But I will forewarn you whom ye shall fear: Fear him, which AFTER he hath killed hath power to cast into hell; yea, I say unto you, Fear him

Matthew 25:46, And these shall go away into EVERLASTING punishment: but the righteous into life eternal

II Thessalonians 1:9 Who shall be punished with EVERLASTING destruction from the presence of the Lord, and from the glory of his power

Isaiah 66:24, And they shall go forth, and look upon the carcasses of the men that have transgressed against me: for their worm shall not die, neither shall their fire be quenched; and they shall be abhorring unto all flesh.

Jude 7, Sodom and Gomorrha...are set forth for an example, suffering the vengeance of eternal fire

CerberusDante.jpg

It is a heart issue.

Think it more than a heart issue. There plenty more warning of hell if you want it.

"And the devil that deceived them was cast into the lake of fire and brimstone, where the beast and the false prophet are, and shall be tormented day and night for ever and ever." (Revelation 20:10)

Matthew 25:41 (Jesus speaking to people at final judgment), ...Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels.

Revelation 14:11, And the smoke of their torment ascendeth up for ever and ever: and they have no rest day nor night...

Revelation 20:12, 15, And I saw the dead, small and great, stand before God; and the books were opened: and another book was opened, which is the book of life...And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire

Matthew 10:28, And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.

Luke 12:5, But I will forewarn you whom ye shall fear: Fear him, which AFTER he hath killed hath power to cast into hell; yea, I say unto you, Fear him

Matthew 25:46, And these shall go away into EVERLASTING punishment: but the righteous into life eternal

II Thessalonians 1:9 Who shall be punished with EVERLASTING destruction from the presence of the Lord, and from the glory of his power

Isaiah 66:24, And they shall go forth, and look upon the carcasses of the men that have transgressed against me: for their worm shall not die, neither shall their fire be quenched; and they shall be abhorring unto all flesh.

Jude 7, Sodom and Gomorrha...are set forth for an example, suffering the vengeance of eternal fire

Great quotes that I remember from my first visit to a church when I was about ten. I was raised as an atheist and a friend got a candybar for bringing me to church. She did not share it with me by the way. I got nothing but a fire and brimstone lecture like that above. I remember thinking that this guy was truely insane. It sticks with me today - the irony of using fear to bring you to God when it is not watching out for number 1 that ultimately gets you to heaven.

CerberusDante.jpg

It is a heart issue.

Great quotes that I remember from my first visit to a church when I was about ten. I was raised as an atheist and a friend got a candybar for bringing me to church. She did not share it with me by the way. I got nothing but a fire and brimstone lecture like that above. I remember thinking that this guy was truely insane. It sticks with me today - the irony of using fear to bring you to God when it is not watching out for number 1 that ultimately gets you to heaven.

Didn't list it there to scare you. Just to make a point it not a place in your mind. But if it does scare you good, your wise.

If evolution is a fact it still doesn't disprove the existence of God. Neither does retroviral DNA insertions, the laws of gravity, quarks, people with vestigal tails, the dinosaurs, galaxies a hundred thousand light years away, string theory, or even TTK's hermaphroditic titties.

An omnipotent Creator can of course have created the laws of nature that science observes, and science does not disprove the Creator.

As for the question of why teach evolution in secondary school - Eric B is 100% correct. It's not that damn important. The fact is our public education system sucks ass as it is, and we would do well to focus on the basics anyway, and evolution is a small subject in a large ocean of knowledge that should be taught. Personally, I studied evolution in 10th grade as a part of AP Biology, and even then it was one very small part of a large curriculum. Moreover, to say we must teach it because it is science is nonsense, and a non sequitur. We can teach whatever the hell we want to teach and that should be decided at the local level.

Your correct on the first count. That's because one is religion and one is science. Faith is what it is, it does not require any backup - and that's fine for those who choose to adhere to their beliefs. But science and religion don't, and should not, mix.

And if you're pinning the foundations of evolution on a high school science course, well I would agree that your school did not teach it well - or maybe you were as open minded as you are now. Evolution is not just some trival side show in biology. It is the foundation of ecology, biology, many components of medicine and genetics, animal husbandry, (except in Enumclaw), crop science, etc. No scientist would say that belief in evolution negates belief in God. But the Christian right, for whatever reason, believes that faith in God eliminates adhernce to a scientific theory that has withstood scruinity for 150 years.

I'd sugget two books to read: "The Panda's Thumb" and "Letter to a Christian Nation"

If evolution is a fact it still doesn't disprove the existence of God. Neither does retroviral DNA insertions, the laws of gravity, quarks, people with vestigal tails, the dinosaurs, galaxies a hundred thousand light years away, string theory, or even TTK's hermaphroditic titties.

An omnipotent Creator can of course have created the laws of nature that science observes, and science does not disprove the Creator.

As for the question of why teach evolution in secondary school - Eric B is 100% correct. It's not that damn important. The fact is our public education system sucks ass as it is, and we would do well to focus on the basics anyway, and evolution is a small subject in a large ocean of knowledge that should be taught. Personally, I studied evolution in 10th grade as a part of AP Biology, and even then it was one very small part of a large curriculum. Moreover, to say we must teach it because it is science is nonsense, and a non sequitur. We can teach whatever the hell we want to teach and that should be decided at the local level.

Your correct on the first count. That's because one is religion and one is science. Faith is what it is, it does not require any backup - and that's fine for those who choose to adhere to their beliefs. But science and religion don't, and should not, mix.

And if you're pinning the foundations of evolution on a high school science course, well I would agree that your school did not teach it well - or maybe you were as open minded as you are now. Evolution is not just some trival side show in biology. It is the foundation of ecology, biology, many components of medicine and genetics, animal husbandry, (except in Enumclaw), crop science, etc. No scientist would say that belief in evolution negates belief in God. But the Christian right, for whatever reason, believes that faith in God eliminates adhernce to a scientific theory that has withstood scruinity for 150 years.

I'd sugget two books to read: "The Panda's Thumb" and "Letter to a Christian Nation"

evolution is not the foundation of science. It a fricking theory. Science can stand on it own with out the theories of evolution.

CerberusDante.jpg

No surprise there.

Empress Theodora of the 11th century had the Pope assasinated because he would not go along with her wishes. She then instated her own Pope. It was then that reincarnation was removed as an option for Christians. Many other bizzarre tidbits were changed.

Her Pope must be in Hell. Unless she was God's servant in which case the previous Pope is in hell. But that would condone assasination so probably not. Maybe they are all in Hell for making Christianity BOOK based when the teachings of Jesus clearly speak out against basing your salvation on a "code".

No Feck. Christians are not any closer to heaven than non-christians unless they continually admit their mistakes and guenuineley attempt to change/repent. It is not over until you are sizzling or basking.

Bug, I don't know about those specific points of history.

I use extreem caution about saying who will or will not, or who is or is not in Hell or Heaven.

I find it more important to concentrate on what I am doing than on what others are doing or have done.

The point is if I get all caught up in the question of who is going to heaven or hell, then I am makeing two mistakes; first final condemnation and salvation are issued from GOD and not me, and secondly I miss the oppertunity to help HERE and NOW becouse I am to caught up in theologic abstracts, and miss out completely.

[

And if you're pinning the foundations of evolution on a high school science course, well I would agree that your school did not teach it well - or maybe you were as open minded as you are now. Evolution is not just some trival side show in biology. It is the foundation of ecology, biology, many components of medicine and genetics, animal husbandry, (except in Enumclaw), crop science, etc.

Wrong on all counts, buddy. Again you miss the point, and make a lot of ASSumptions.

1) i took an AP course in biology at a premier public school in the shadow of Stanford University. Many of our teachers had Ph.D.s, and many students were children of Stanford alumni. An AP course is a COLLEGE-level course, not high-school, BTW. And I scored a 5. :wave:

2) we are discussing MACRO-evolution. It *is* a side-show of sorts. Trust me, it is a small part of a biology course, where you learn about the taxonomy of living organisms, DNA/genetics, cell-structure and function, mammalian anatomy (like how TTK's titties manufacture milk), and so on. Darwin and his theory constitute a few chapters, and are covered very quickly. A lot of that material is very "fluffy" compared to the hard-core study of ribosomes, meiosis/mitosis, DNA transcription, etc. While I may believe it is probably true, I certainly see issues with it being perfect and provable. There's a lot of holes. And don't start about micro- proving macro-. And you can learn the former without buying into the later AND avoid a lot of this controversy.

3) I worked in biotech for 9 years, including projects directly related to DNA sequencing, genotyping, homology searching, model organisms and the like, so I don't need your stupid references to "learning material".

CerberusDante.jpg

No surprise there.

I use extreem caution about saying who will or will not, or who is or is not in Hell or Heaven.

I find it more important to concentrate on what I am doing than on what others are doing or have done.

The point is if I get all caught up in the question of who is going to heaven or hell, then I am makeing two mistakes; first final condemnation and salvation are issued from GOD and not me, and secondly I miss the oppertunity to help HERE and NOW becouse I am to caught up in theologic abstracts, and miss out completely.

I think we agree;

"No Feck. Christians are not any closer to heaven than non-christians unless they continually admit their mistakes and guenuineley attempt to change/repent. It is not over until you are sizzling or basking."

CerberusDante.jpg

No surprise there.

I think we agree;

"No Feck. Christians are not any closer to heaven than non-christians unless they continually admit their mistakes and guenuineley attempt to change/repent. It is not over until you are sizzling or basking."

Once again Feck repeats a message so often cited and attributed to Christians (with the broadest brush strokes), which really is relatively rarely actually voiced. Definitely I've never heard there fire and brimstone messages from any Church I have been in. Usually sin is addressed as something we all commit, and requires personal examination of conscience. But hey, keep on attacking all those Christians for their sins... wait, isn't that what you are saying that they do?

Didn't list it there to scare you. Just to make a point it not a place in your mind. But if it does scare you good, your wise.

Questions for you SH:

1) how old is planet Earth?

2) how long have men - in their current form - existed on planet Earth?

3) upon what do you base your answers to these questions?

My curiosity seeks answers but I beleive these questions have nothing to do with spirituality except in as much as a person might mistake religion for spirituality. The two are not necessarily intertwined (sadly).

Questions for you SH:

My curiosity seeks answers but I beleive these questions have nothing to do with spirituality except in as much as a person might mistake religion for spirituality. The two are not necessarily intertwined (sadly).

I didn't ask you.

Questions for you SH:

If I answered this I be like the evolutionist telling the earth is this age. Nobody knows. I only have what I think just like the next person.

When they find tissue and blood vessel in fossils this is not possible and screams that something is not as old as we all been fooled into believing. I don't beleive the earth is millions year old, But that just a beleif like an evolutionist belief that is millions. Neither can be proved.

[

If I answered this I be like the evolutionist telling the earth is this age. Nobody knows. I only have what I think just like the next person.

When they find tissue and blood vessel in fossils this is not possible and screams that something is not as old as we all been fooled into believing. I don't beleive the earth is millions year old, But that just a beleif like an evolutionist belief that is millions. Neither can be proved.

Wrong.

Although macro-evolution might have problems and I can see how people don't want to accept it outright, the fact is that humans have been around more than 6000 years - it's more like 100,000 - in the modern form. This is provable via carbon-dating.

And there are fossils of animals that existed here hundreds of millions of years ago.

I'm glad the forum wasted hundred of posts arguing with you about macro-evolution when they could have cut to the chase a lot quicker (as I did).

I conclude by citing Sexy Cocoa... d...a...

[

Wrong.

Although macro-evolution might have problems and I can see how people don't want to accept it outright, the fact is that humans have been around more than 6000 years - it's more like 100,000 - in the modern form. This is provable via carbon-dating.

And there are fossils of animals that existed here hundreds of millions of years ago.

I'm glad the forum wasted hundred of posts arguing with you about macro-evolution when they could have cut to the chase a lot quicker (as I did).

Source and proof?

[

Wrong.

Source and proof?

You've gotta be kidding, right?

linky

skeleton1.gif

A recent discovery in the field of paleontology has sent shockwaves through the scientific community. Evolutionist Mary H. Schweitzer of North Carolina State University has discovered flexible blood vessels inside the fossilized thighbone of a "68-70 million year old" Tyrannosaurus rex1 from the Hell Creek formation in eastern Montana. Further investigation revealed round microscopic structures that look to be cells inside the hollow vessels. Even to the untrained eye, the tissue samples look as if the animal died recently. Fibrous protein material was dissolved with an enzyme called collegenase, indicating that amino acid sequencing could probably be done (amino acids are the building blocks of protein).

Although it is too early to make definite statements regarding this stunning and wholly unexpected find, the evidence seems to indicate the T. rex fossil is -- well, young. Young as in just centuries-old, certainly not an age of millions of years. Indeed, Dr. Schweitzer said, "I am quite aware that according to conventional wisdom and models of fossilization, these structures aren't supposed to be there, but there they are. I was pretty shocked."

[

Wrong.

Source and proof?

You've gotta be kidding, right?

linky

skeleton1.gif

However, modern technology has produced a major fly in that uniformitarian ointment. A key technical advance, which occurred about 25 years ago, involved the ability to measure the ratio of 14C atoms to 12C atoms with extreme precision in very small samples of carbon, using an ion beam accelerator and a mass spectrometer. Prior to the advent of this accelerator mass spectrometer (AMS) method, the 14C/12C ratio was measured by counting the number of 14C decays. This earlier method was subject to considerable "noise" from cosmic rays.

The AMS method improved the sensitivity of the raw measurement of the 14C/12C ratio from approximately 1% of the modern value to about 0.001%, extending the theoretical range of sensitivity from about 40,000 years to about 90,000 years. The expectation was that this improvement in precision would make it possible to use this technique to date dramatically older fossil material.1 The big surprise, however, was that no fossil material could be found anywhere that had as little as 0.001% of the modern value!2 Since most of the scientists involved assumed the standard geological time scale was correct, the obvious explanation for the 14C they were detecting in their samples was contamination from some source of modern carbon with its high level of 14C. Therefore they mounted a major campaign to discover and eliminate the sources of such contamination. Although they identified and corrected a few relatively minor sources of 14C contamination, there still remained a significant level of 14C—typically about 100 times the ultimate sensitivity of the instrument—in samples that should have been utterly "14C-dead," including many from the deeper levels of the fossil-bearing part of the geological record