[TR] Smith Rock - Link ups...... 12/8/2007

kevbone

Trip: Smith Rock - Link ups......

Date: 12/8/2007

Trip Report:

Arent and I drove out to Smith Rock on Friday night. Slept at the grassland in the snow. Were the first people in the parking lot and at the base of the rock. It was not warm. It was a low of 12 the night before and a high of 32 in the day.

We simil climbed Cinnamon Slab 100 feet apart in one pitch. Then did a quick hike over and down the little down climb walk off to Spider Man. Then roped up to simil climb Spider Man 100 feet apart in one pitch. There was snow on ledges……good times….

Then hiked over the top and down and simil climbed Super Slab 100 feet apart in one pitch. Then back to the top for a quick rest and walk down the walk off to Zebra Zion back to our waiting lunch in our packs that were stashed under the rock next to 5 gallon buckets.

Next up……Moonshine Dihedral.

After that we were both cooked being we are both off the couch and new dad’s.

Drove for home but stopped at Martinas (mexy) in Madras for veggie burritos….

I recommend linking easy climbs to anyone. This truly was…..good times. Especially since I have not been there in over a year……

Gear Notes:

If you simil climb....I recomend a big rack.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

congrats on being new dads and still getting out, its a tough thing

Super tough. Arent has two children. I have one. We are both fat and out of shape....so we thought, instead of ruining our selves on some hard 10 or harder.....we would link up some easy stuff.....the simil climb thought came after looking at the weather report.

We are both fat and out of shape....

Hey, I have that phrase patented! However, I want to compliment you both for stepping up and being responsible parents, it's the most important thing most of us will ever do.

Good to see you getting some still and getting some good mileage in in the cold! Brrr. Good job and very inspiring!

BTW, my youngest is 17 and just flaked out one me skiing for tomorrow. Nice to be getting the freedom back.

So I get to fix the roof now....

thought it's been about a year for you now w/ your son, kev? new-ish then...

getting good practice in for the alpine - did you do it w/ boots n' a pack while drinking water outta a nalgene w/ chunks of ramen floating in it too? :)

i like linking all the climbs by asterik pass - sky ridge, sky chimney, white velvet/satin(?), wherever i may bolt, phoenix buttress, etc.

I liked linking Super Slab the best......one long pitch was fun. 100 feet apart made it cool....we both could comunicate well....

shoulda walked over a few feet and done the same to moscow...or taken your life in your hands and done the same on paper tiger.

stopped at Martinas (mexy) in Madras for veggie burritos.

gotta disagree on that choice! the chicken-fried-steak-n-eggs-n-hasbrowns-all-mixed-tagethe-w/-gravy special blows all the competition out of the water (plus you get to be extra kewl and special order it when it's not currently listed on the big board) - like an orgasm in yer mouth, but not, like, gay or anything...

Trip: Smith Rock - Link ups......

Date: 12/8/2007

Trip Report:

Arent and I drove out to Smith Rock on Friday night. Slept at the grassland in the snow. Were the first people in the parking lot and at the base of the rock. It was not warm. It was a low of 12 the night before and a high of 32 in the day.

We simil climbed Cinnamon Slab 100 feet apart in one pitch. Then did a quick hike over and down the little down climb walk off to Spider Man. Then roped up to simil climb Spider Man 100 feet apart in one pitch. There was snow on ledges……good times….

Then hiked over the top and down and simil climbed Super Slab 100 feet apart in one pitch. Then back to the top for a quick rest and walk down the walk off to Zebra Zion back to our waiting lunch in our packs that were stashed under the rock next to 5 gallon buckets.

Next up……Moonshine Dihedral.

After that we were both cooked being we are both off the couch and new dad’s.

Drove for home but stopped at Martinas (mexy) in Madras for veggie burritos….

I recommend linking easy climbs to anyone. This truly was…..good times. Especially since I have not been there in over a year……

Gear Notes:

If you simil climb....I recomend a big rack.

kevbone, fat people don't lead freeforsome off the couch. phat people lead freeforsome off the couch.

How do you simul Cinnamon in 100 ft? I mean...really, one hundred ft between the leader and the second?

Yes.....100 feet between the leader and the second. The leader ties into both endes of the rope. The follower ties in the middle of the rope. Essentialy you are climbing with two ropes....works pretty good when you get used to it.