anyone been up Hood?

shortstow

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

nothing better than climbing sketchy mixed shit in a howling gale!

at least you wouldn't be in the worst of it until heading down...

hope you don't have to hike the road at all - hardly worth such annoyance to scramble on the hood-wands taint!

i'm looking forward to doing some extreme camping on the windiest part of hood - illumiation gap - come show off on i-rock wayne so i can stare in wonderous awe :)

Skinned up to Crater Rock yesterday, got a way late start. Sounds like i missed most of the wind as from the top of Palmer on it was warm and sunny. Not enough to get anything melting though. Lots of pow pow sitting on solid blue ice. Old Chute looked heavily windloaded and ready to slide. Pearly Gates looked "spicy" but doable. Ran outta time, had a killer run down to the truck. Great powder turns the whole way.

So, jlag, those were your skin tracks we saw up there. 4 of us went up two days ago. Got up over the berg on the Hogsback but the gully had a bunch of powder (foot-plus) on top of weak ice and faceted snow. Didn't like it, so we bailed back down. Once the snow consolidates some, I'd say give it shot. Or maybe if you have bigger balls. It was a long snow slog up to there though. If the winds haven't blow our tracks away, there should be a good path up over the hogsback.

i skiied the pearly gates from summit, with a climb/downclimb of crux, also skiied lower old chute on the 23.

Edumactor- I think i saw ur tent on the col, my original plan that day was to top down the Leuthold, kind of glad i didn't sounds spooky over there, there were apparently gusts to 70/80 on the summit thursday night from the ne,

keep on learnen em folks Edumactor, i reckon i needin of some learnen lessons myself, specially from an edumacted feller like urself.

Edited by danhelmstadter

actually, if you downclimbed the hourglass, the rest of luetholds would be a perfect ski! the lower part in particuliar, much to my dismay...

i ain't got no learning - i just conduct meself by the old adage: if'n'you can't dazzle'em w/ brillance, baffle'em w/ bullshit!

i ain't got no learning - i just conduct meself by the old adage: if'n'you can't dazzle'em w/ brillance, baffle'em w/ bullshit!

I am going to have to remember that for future events

I also tried to post the pic but the file is to big and I am way to dumb to try to shrink it. So if anyone wants it PM and I can email it to you.

Edited by shortstow

A few of us were on the north side of hood this weekend. The road is closed, adding 2-3 miles each way. Neither the north face nor the eliot glacier headwall are in. But the bottoms of the lower crevasses are full of snow, making for some good, safe bouldering on the seracs.

Hey, me and a buddy attempted the Sunshine route on friday, but we hadnt seen or looked at pics of crossing the Eliot, so that took way longer than we thought it would, so we ran out of time, and stopped early.

Here is a link so that you can see what things are like. There is a very small snow base, a 2ft picket didnt go all the way in because it hit the ground, and the skiing isnt fantastic.

http://oregon.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2131762&l=a8be5&id=11519689

Hope that provides some good info.

hey, i think you may have been the guys who overtook an 'old' man on snowshoes just below the cabin. i wished i had my skis, but don't think my knees could take the abuse anymore, especially on that trail.

your pictures look great, glad you had a good time. come back anytime.

thanks, i'll post more later. it was a beautiful day, perfect temps, little or no wind. there was no one else up at the shelter, and it was perfectly quiet except for the crack of rockfall over in the moraine.

the snow was drifted and crusty. people had skied it a day or two prior, but it would have been a nightmare yesterday. i broke through a lot, making the going fairly slow, and so i didn't go higher on the spur.

My buddy and I were on the North Side thursday and friday, attempting to climb the N. Face. We skinned in from TJ snow park and stayed at the stone shelter T-giving night. Conditions were variable on the Elliot, ranging from knee deep powder to weak crust to wind slab, and made for slow progress. We were behind schedule as we approached the gullies and decided to make a short-cut to the left gully as described by Chad a few years ago. It seemed like a good idea at the time. Once on the steeper slopes we encountered a foot of unconsolidated powder overlaying weak crust. This, along with recent slide activity coming off of the spur onto the elliot convinced us to end the climb.

Picture_006.jpg

Picture_009.jpg

avy cone on the elliot. Was deep enough to bury a tall lad.

Picture_010.jpg

Sorry no close-ups of the entrance gullies. We never got close enough, but were able to see ice in both from the shelter on the spur. The coconuts looked enticing though.