WTF?

archenemy

I hate to sound hardened to people in the face of a disaster, but this sort of thing pisses me off:

President Bush on Wednesday boosted federal aid to the fire-ravaged area by signing a major disaster declaration. The move will speed federal dollars to people whose property losses aren't covered by insurance.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/10/24/fire.wildfire.ca/index.html

Why should the rest of us have to pay not only for our own insurance, but also for your shit that you didn't consider worthwhile enough to insure? Pisses me off--it penalizes the people who play by the rules and excuses those who decided that the 52" screen TV was more important than an insurance bill.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hate to sound hardened to people in the face of a disaster, but this sort of thing pisses me off:

President Bush on Wednesday boosted federal aid to the fire-ravaged area by signing a major disaster declaration. The move will speed federal dollars to people whose property losses aren't covered by insurance.

Why should the rest of us have to pay not only for our own insurance, but also for your shit that you didn't consider worthwhile enough to insure? Pisses me off--it penalizes the people who play by the rules and excuses those who decided that the 52" screen TV was more important than an insurance bill.

Like the Katrina victims? Or anyone else living in a hurricane zone or a flood plain?

Like the Katrina victims? Or anyone else living in a hurricane zone or a flood plain?

Or spent the money on Cheetos instead of a health club membership?

I am all for FEMA stuff and for assisting people in need. But compensating people who chose not to insure their stuff is simply unfair to those who did.

many people don't insure themselves who live in coastal areas subject to hurricanes or on flood plains, even if they can afford it

If you live in a flood plain, you usually can't get insurance (except from the gov't). But fire insurance is basic. And if you don't own your home, you have to be insured anyway. So if you own your own home outright, why would you not insure your investment? I don't get it.

I am all for FEMA stuff and for assisting people in need. But compensating people who chose not to insure their stuff is simply unfair to those who did.

many people don't insure themselves who live in coastal areas subject to hurricanes or on flood plains, even if they can afford it

If you live in a flood plain, you usually can't get insurance (except from the gov't). But fire insurance is basic. And if you don't own your home, you have to be insured anyway. So if you own your own home outright, why would you not insure your investment? I don't get it.

BECAUSE THE GOVERNMENT WILL TAKE CARE OF YOU SILLY! THAT IS IT'S JOB. SUCK OFF THE SWEET TEAT OF THE NANNY STATE!

Have you checked your earthquake insurance? We may be next in line for aid.

I check all my insurance--it is my second largest expense behind mortgages.

I was pissed when people who did not get earthquake insurance here in Seattle got money from the gov't when their chimneys fell off their homes during the last quake. That's fucked. You want someone else to pay to fix your house? Buy insurance. Don't charge the taxpayers--we are not responsible for your home's upkeep.

I was pissed when people who did not get earthquake insurance here in Seattle got money from the gov't when their chimneys fell off their homes during the last quake. That's fucked. You want someone else to pay to fix your house? Buy insurance. Don't charge the taxpayers--we are not responsible for your home's upkeep.

I DON'T HAVE ANY EARTHQUAKE INSURANCE AND WILL BE VERY HAPPY WHEN THE STATE FIXES MY HOME. WHY ARE YOU WORRIED? THE GOVERNMENT PAYS FOR IT - IT'S FREEEEEEE!

I DON'T HAVE ANY EARTHQUAKE INSURANCE AND WILL BE VERY HAPPY WHEN THE STATE FIXES MY HOME. WHY ARE YOU WORRIED? THE GOVERNMENT PAYS FOR IT - IT'S FREEEEEEE!

even if you have earthquake insurance, an earthquake here will be complete cluster. Think about all the townhomes sprouting up around town.....what happens when there's major structural damage to a block of townhomes, and a couple in the middle are underinsured or insured by a crappy company.....

if you live in a flood plain, it is mandatory that you have in flood insurance with most mortgage companies. the catch is that it is a federal program so you have to buy your insurance from the gov't.

regular homeowners insurance might not cover this type of fire damage. i know that some policies don't cover damage from wild fires. an act of nature clause or some such.

Earthquake insurance is expensive and has huge deductibles. I don't think anyone got paid for chimmney damage - data? Rather than sinking money into a policy that will not pay to replance your house, and that you will likely never use - best bet is to just retro-fit your house. I consider that the best investment.

Mixed emotions about the fire thing - normal homeowners insurance can cover that, for relatively low costs.

Earthquake insurance is expensive and has huge deductibles. I don't think anyone got paid for chimmney damage - data? Rather than sinking money into a policy that will not pay to replance your house, and that you will likely never use - best bet is to just retro-fit your house. I consider that the best investment.

Mixed emotions about the fire thing - normal homeowners insurance can cover that, for relatively low costs.

http://www.fema.gov/news/newsrelease.fema?id=7059

Olympia, WA -- Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) officials report today that 50 percent of the homes inspected by FEMA so far sustained chimney damage in the Nisqually Earthquake. Most of the chimney damage found is in King, Pierce and Thurston counties.

To date, of the $5.1 million provided by FEMA through its temporary disaster housing program, $3 million has been distributed to homeowners for chimney repairs. "FEMA is providing funds for essential repairs for one damaged chimney per residence," said Bill Lokey, federal coordinating officer for the earthquake recovery operations. "Funds may be made available from FEMA for work on additional chimneys that pose a safety hazard."

http://www.seattle.gov/dpd/stellent/groups/pan/@pan/@emergprep/documents/web_informational/dpds_005987.pdf

http://bssa.geoscienceworld.org/cgi/content/abstract/94/3/1143

http://64.233.169.104/search?q=cache:8zK2-lyLUr0J:crm.cr.nps.gov/archive/24-08/24-08-4.pdf+seattle+nisqually+quake+damage&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=17&gl=us

Doh! I forgot to include taxes in my expenses. Make insurance #3.

Signing on a house this Tuesday, and am now realizing how expensive insurance and taxes are - damn! After signing my life away to the bank, there's no way I'd go this route without insurance though. Even though it's really expensive, I don't trust the government enough to take care of me in a disaster.