Fatties get special treatment?

archenemy

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Merely saying it is simple does not change the substantial amount of data showing for the population as a whole it is not simple. Continue trying to change human nature to fit your system

just like for global warming :wave:

Oh, I agree. The most effective solution would be a massive tax on carbon usage. Unfortunately this would 1) probably cause substantial short term economic disruption 2) further encourage wastrel politicians to piss away money

archenemy - "carbon footprint" is short hand for the turds they leave behind

I'm not sure where I first got involved in this or where it is going but here are some points.

1. People who think their shit don't stink are infuriating. And I wish they'd either get out of the (risk) pool or just shut up and enjoy the water.

2. Obesity does seem to be a serious problem. I'm glad people are trying to work on it. I'm thanking whom or whatever that I am not obese.

3. I think insurance works best if you have fairly broad and prospectively verifiable criteria for inclusion. If you make the criteria too tight, you'll have too much invasion into your privacy and into what you can do to be able to get insurance. You'll be screwed if you actually need insurance bad (you're high risk). You'll be much more susceptible to being denied claims later on by the insurance company saying something wasn't right at some time in the past, in which case it'll be too late.

Why is the idea that there are elements of one's existence that one has substantial control over so threatening?

Because there is plenty of evidence to show regulation of such procedures is not a simple matter? Merely saying it is simple does not change the substantial amount of data showing for the population as a whole it is not simple. Continue trying to change human nature to fit your system JayB, it worked so well for the Soviets :wave:

Who is talking about changing behavior? I don't climb, ski, or paddle any less because I pay more for life and disability insurance - but people who choose not to assume these risks pay less than me.

I could care less if people choose to gorge themselves all day long - if that's how they want to live, that's fine with me. I do think that it's high time that we drop the absurd pretense that mentally competent adults have zero control over what and how much they eat, and increase the rates for people who eat their way into a high-risk BMI, just like we do for people who smoke.

I do think that it's high time that we drop the absurd pretense that mentally competent adults have zero control over what and how much they eat, and increase the rates for people who eat their way into a high-risk BMI, just like we do for people who smoke.

Unless you are claiming eating disorders and other clinically diagnosable psychological ailments are the same severity as climbing you've absolutely no leg to stand on here.

Deep fried shit?! Pinot wine!!!! you are part of the problem! we need to tax you for your added risks, mother fahker!

Rack is grilled. I'm releasing green house gases :eveeel:

grilled is even worse! as you consume carcinogens and put all our health care costs through the roof. I'm so pissed I could explode... oh, my heart, oh... you'll pay for that too...

Weren't you just a page or two ago complaining that people with unhealthy habits (like eating too much fatty food) are causing us all horrible consequences like putting our health care costs through the roof?

And now you're making fun of yourself two pages later?

:confused:

[quote=JayB

Who is talking about virtue here? What anyone chooses to do to their own body is their business, whether that's inhaling smoke or five helpings of curly fries and washing it down with 64-oz Slurpee.

Yeah, I agree it's thier business, but I don't want to pay for it. I want points or a price break on my health insurance for having a normal BMI and exercising and not smoking, etc., just like I get a discount on my car insurance for safe driving. I don't want to pay for someone else's adult onset diabetes and high blood pressure and quadruple bypass.

Ditto.

A matter of virtue? No. A matter of responsibility? Yes.

Many life threatening conditions have an overwhelmingly genetic component. It's not all "personal responsibility" (not even half or a quarter, an a lot of cases). Are you saying that you want a price break (or you want others to pay more, same thing) for your/their genetics?

If one accepts the proposition that one has as little control over or responsibility for their behavior as they do their genetic inheritance, then this line of argument might have some merit.

There are untold millions of people in this country who have probably inherited traits that make it more challenging for them to avoid harming others in some fashion, yet they enjoy no special exemptions from the expectation that they will do so, unless their impairment is so severe that they are deemed insane and granted a separate legal status whereby they are no longer held responsible for their actions. There may be a certain number of persons who have inherited traits such that society cannot reasonably expect to control the quantity of food that they consume, and they would be afforded exemptions from the expectation that they do so. For everyone else - the fatter they get, the more they should pay for their health insurance.

THis is a formula for an even more invasive society. Levy a health care tax on fatties and, faster than you can add curly fries to that shake, they'll class action sue or lobby for legislation and levy a tax on risky behavior that might result in traumatic injury. Remember, the fatties are in the majority.

You'll also have to somehow separate out and weigh (no pun intended) the genetic component of disease. That means genetic testing for everyone...and the rampant wholesale denial of insurance that would undoubtedly result. And privacy issues? Pshah!

Finally, you'll have to have a system for monitoring behavior (what did you eat today, Mr. JayB?) as part of enforcement.

This would undoubtedly result in a health care system many times more expensive due to the aforementioned overhead than the one we have now; hardly a change in the positive direction for anyone.

I don't know about you, but pay the same as the two tone tillies so as to enjoy the resultant benefits of a simpler, less expensive one size fits all health care system, and fight obesity through public education: the only method that really works to produce widespread, substantive change in personal behavior.

These are good points. As things stand now, the insurance companies can't price risk by simply looking at your age, sex, and driving record and as an effective proxy for your driving habits, and instead had to implement systems to continuously monitor every moment of everyone's driving. It's also true that there's no price competition in this market, so the costs associated with doing so have no bearing on the enthusiasm that any particular company might have on engaging in such monitoring, and if consumers had the option of submitting to continuously surveilance or basing their risk-pricing on their driving record, this would be a matter of indifference to them.

The notion that we can distinguish between behaviors that mentally competent adults are capable of regulating, and those that they cannot, and that we can make the distinction between those adults who are capable of performing the mental operations required to do so, and those who can't is the basis of quite a few of the principles that society is organized upon. It's rather odd to observe people arguing so passionately against the same principles that - outside of such a debate - govern their expectations concerning how other people conduct themselves and what they are responsible for.

If people can't be expected to govern what they eat, and in what quantities - then they can't be expected to control whether they smoke or not, and the list goes on. I don't think that anyone who argues that the vast majority of people have no control over their weight actually believe such an absurd proposition. So why defend such a specious argument? Why is the idea that there are elements of one's existence that one has substantial control over so threatening?

You're much younger than I am, and so you're accustomed to a much more regulated (particularly by unaccountable corporations) world. I'm used to a freer society where privacy means something. Fair enough. It's all about the environment we were brought up in.

Edited by tvashtarkatena

Weren't you just a page or two ago complaining that people with unhealthy habits (like eating too much fatty food) are causing us all horrible consequences like putting our health care costs through the roof?

And now you're making fun of yourself two pages later?

:confused:

you have a lot of faith in my survival to respond to you query. wtf? anyways, the roads were exceptionally treacherous. there were cars on them! and water sometimes! and wet leaves! OMG!!! I nearly died a few dozen times, and, indeed, narrowly escaped a life in a wheelchair with a feeding tube a few dozen times more. i can't believe I am able to keep my life insurance, health insurance, and disability insurance while engaging in this reckless behavior. fortunately you are footing my bill. thanks, man.

and mushrooms. I want some mushrooms

cj001f is in need of a good russian bender right now

i may get some билий гриб (white mushrooms) this weekend... going on a hike with some countrymen... but it's always a scary thing - a leap of faith to trust those guys to differentiate a delicacy from poison. fuck, ANOTHER RISKY BEHAVIOR!

Just do what they did for smokers. For smokers, they showed what smoking did to lungs. Just show what obesity can lead to in the same stark medical terms.

Damn straight. Show a pair of lungs with bitch tits hanging off em.

Like yours? :blush:

854484909_a92ec0bf77.jpg?v=0

At least the bitch who owns those tits is standing on top of a mountain (Storm King, in this case). One of many this season. Haven't seen you on top of one lately...er...ever, as a matter of fact.

Here's a fairly recent contribution:

http://cascadeclimbers.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=719818

You can search for the dozens of other TR's I've posted here - keeping in mind that I rarely post my trips. Feel free to do a search. Please note the absence of man-breasts in my photos. Nice stickers on your helmet too, BTW! :tup: ...although I'm not too sure exactly what it is you're trying to protect...