Fatties get special treatment?

archenemy

what kills me is people who think that going on a 10 mile hike, or biking to work is some gargantuan, strenuous, fitness-freak outing. "you bike from Bellevue... wow". actually, no, that's not much of a physical exertion - get off the couch and try to do something...

About 1 out of every 3 CF warmups---the warmup, mind you---is so hard I am sure it is harder than some people's workout. Sometimes we run 10 easy 1/2 or 3/4 speed 50 yard sprints uphill including all the other warmup crap. A warmup!

THEN the workout, like: 15 squats, 10 pushups, 5 pullups every 60 seconds for 30 minutes. Or, 5 880s with each run separated by 25 burpees and a 1 RM deadlift. Or 100 24kg kettlebell swings and 100 pullups.

A couple weeks ago a woman did the last workout with us then got on her bicycle to ride home from Ballard to West Seattle. Coach said without irony, 'hey that's a nice cooldown.'

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote=JayB

Who is talking about virtue here? What anyone chooses to do to their own body is their business, whether that's inhaling smoke or five helpings of curly fries and washing it down with 64-oz Slurpee.

Yeah, I agree it's thier business, but I don't want to pay for it. I want points or a price break on my health insurance for having a normal BMI and exercising and not smoking, etc., just like I get a discount on my car insurance for safe driving. I don't want to pay for someone else's adult onset diabetes and high blood pressure and quadruple bypass.

Ditto.

A matter of virtue? No. A matter of responsibility? Yes.

Many life threatening conditions have an overwhelmingly genetic component. It's not all "personal responsibility" (not even half or a quarter, an a lot of cases). Are you saying that you want a price break (or you want others to pay more, same thing) for your/their genetics?

If one accepts the proposition that one has as little control over or responsibility for their behavior as they do their genetic inheritance, then this line of argument might have some merit.

There are untold millions of people in this country who have probably inherited traits that make it more challenging for them to avoid harming others in some fashion, yet they enjoy no special exemptions from the expectation that they will do so, unless their impairment is so severe that they are deemed insane and granted a separate legal status whereby they are no longer held responsible for their actions. There may be a certain number of persons who have inherited traits such that society cannot reasonably expect to control the quantity of food that they consume, and they would be afforded exemptions from the expectation that they do so. For everyone else - the fatter they get, the more they should pay for their health insurance.

In January 2005 I was 25 lbs. heavier and my BP was 190/100. I changed my choices. The beer & Twinkies diet was simply NOT WORKING anymore.

Switched from the deep-fried Twinkies? Used low-fat oil?

Zone Diet, sort of. Lay on the daily cod liver oil. Hardest was giving up peanut butter. Also, zero alcohol. But, 70% cocoa chocolate is A-OK, so there's an upside.

One thing I find is that after a multi-day trip in the mountains, after we get back and go to the nearest town to find something to eat, we go walking down the street, and I find I am asking myself 'What are all of these FAT people doing here?' EVERYONE looks fat in these towns after a few days climbing with some reasonably healthy friends.

One thing I find is that after a multi-day trip in the mountains, after we get back and go to the nearest town to find something to eat, we go walking down the street, and I find I am asking myself 'What are all of these FAT people doing here?' EVERYONE looks fat in these towns after a few days climbing with some reasonably healthy friends.

This is my selling point to get people to take me with them. I make re-entry into the regular world of fat people much easier.

Hey, I'm here to help.

This is my selling point to get people to take me with them. I make re-entry into the regular world of fat people much easier.

Hey, I'm here to help.

:lmao:

all the people here getting all defensive about this notion that fatties would pay extra crack me up. we're not talking about someone who could stand to lose 10, 20, even 30 lbs. that has probably happened to all of us at some point, and could happen again. There are an alarming number of folks in this country who are 50, 100, 150 lbs overweight... and more. there are huge consequences to this life style on all of us.

Hey, I'm here to help.

what the fuck are you laughing at, scrawny?

For everyone else - the fatter they get, the more they should pay for their health insurance.

So by that same logic bulimics and anorexics should receive free care?

No, I think the logic is that if you are unhealthy in any way, you don't get insurance. Insurance is permitted only for people who don't need it.

It would please big business immenseley to enact this change.

all the people here getting all defensive about this notion that fatties would pay extra crack me up. we're not talking about someone who could stand to lose 10, 20, even 30 lbs. that has probably happened to all of us at some point, and could happen again. There are an alarming number of folks in this country who are 50, 100, 150 lbs overweight... and more. there are huge consequences to this life style on all of us.

Bullshit. People should be charged by the pound. Especially those pregnant people--they are adding to the overall cost anyway. (Discount if they help out all those guys with lactating-MILF fantasys though--stress reliever).

For everyone else - the fatter they get, the more they should pay for their health insurance.

So by that same logic bulimics and anorexics should receive free care?

No, I think the logic is that if you are unhealthy in any way, you don't get insurance. Insurance is permitted only for people who don't need it.

And only people under thirty get life insurance.

It's perfect. You pay in perpetuity for a service you'll never use. Genius!

Bullshit. People should be charged by the pound. Especially those pregnant people--they are adding to the overall cost anyway. (Discount if they help out all those guys with lactating-MILF fantasys though--stress reliever).

nice try, you keep bringing up pregnancy costs. But do you actually believe that the cost of pregnancies (pre-natal care plus delivery costs) in the US even compares to the cost of health care to treat obesity related problems, procedures etc? Do you know how much a friggin' knee-replacement operation costs for example?

and let's not forget the CO2 footprint. Fatter people consume more (and expel more waste).

At least that hypocrite Al Gore is not a lard-butt

[quote=JayB

Who is talking about virtue here? What anyone chooses to do to their own body is their business, whether that's inhaling smoke or five helpings of curly fries and washing it down with 64-oz Slurpee.

Yeah, I agree it's thier business, but I don't want to pay for it. I want points or a price break on my health insurance for having a normal BMI and exercising and not smoking, etc., just like I get a discount on my car insurance for safe driving. I don't want to pay for someone else's adult onset diabetes and high blood pressure and quadruple bypass.

Ditto.

A matter of virtue? No. A matter of responsibility? Yes.

Many life threatening conditions have an overwhelmingly genetic component. It's not all "personal responsibility" (not even half or a quarter, an a lot of cases). Are you saying that you want a price break (or you want others to pay more, same thing) for your/their genetics?

If one accepts the proposition that one has as little control over or responsibility for their behavior as they do their genetic inheritance, then this line of argument might have some merit.

There are untold millions of people in this country who have probably inherited traits that make it more challenging for them to avoid harming others in some fashion, yet they enjoy no special exemptions from the expectation that they will do so, unless their impairment is so severe that they are deemed insane and granted a separate legal status whereby they are no longer held responsible for their actions. There may be a certain number of persons who have inherited traits such that society cannot reasonably expect to control the quantity of food that they consume, and they would be afforded exemptions from the expectation that they do so. For everyone else - the fatter they get, the more they should pay for their health insurance.

THis is a formula for an even more invasive society. Levy a health care tax on fatties and, faster than you can add curly fries to that shake, they'll class action sue or lobby for legislation and levy a tax on risky behavior that might result in traumatic injury. Remember, the fatties are in the majority.

You'll also have to somehow separate out and weigh (no pun intended) the genetic component of disease. That means genetic testing for everyone...and the rampant wholesale denial of insurance that would undoubtedly result. And privacy issues? Pshah!

Finally, you'll have to have a system for monitoring behavior (what did you eat today, Mr. JayB?) as part of enforcement.

This would undoubtedly result in a health care system many times more expensive due to the aforementioned overhead than the one we have now; hardly a change in the positive direction for anyone.

I don't know about you, but pay the same as the two tone tillies so as to enjoy the resultant benefits of a simpler, less expensive one size fits all health care system, and fight obesity through public education: the only method that really works to produce widespread, substantive change in personal behavior.

Hey, I'm here to help.

what the fuck are you laughing at, scrawny?

My goodness, look at the time - I have to go throw up!