Shucksan

terminusnout

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Stay high up the right side of the canyon till you get to the snowfield that takes you to the bottom. This is the most time saving beta that there is for this day on the mountain.

Cross the valley and go up the other side to the base of the N Face. Start by moving left then up and slightly right through gullies when they exist. Top the face and proceed to the summit pyramid.

Hey, I am also planning an attempt over Thanksgiving break. Any info about the White Salmon route? I will be expecting cravasses, but should i expect a lot of them, or hidden ones? And is there much of a trail from the road, or is it all bushwacking? I read most of the TR, but they were all from spring or summer, none really from late in the fall.

I have done the route four times now. Best way to approach the north face is to drop straight down from chair eight and up the hillside to the north of the ski area that leads to the base of the route. On the crest of the ridge there are many animal paths and you can move quickly. Avoid going up the drainage unless you like lots of bush whacking---can be very dangerous in the winter due to extreme avalanche danger---a few people have already died over the years in this area.

Once on the route its best to to the east or climbers left around the first overhanging glacier, them sharp west or climbers right between the glaciers. Becareful as you exit up a ramp that is either easy rock climbing or snow- there is at times steady rock fall here from about 1500 feet above----I figured and was correct that if you run accrossed this area at the same time the rock fall starts you can make it safely---just move fast. The rest of the face is very straight forward and fun. Post holing in early season and hard snow and ice during the fall. This route can be done year round. If you dicide to not down climb the route---then in late season you may have a few difficult cravasse crossing, climbing in and out of them---fun. Findig your way down Fischer chimnies can also be a challenge if you have not been there.

Good luck---PM me if you have any questions.

Edited by Mtnclimber