Hypocrisy

kevbone

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it also appears inconsistent to be anti-abortion and anti-welfare, another classic conservative conundrum - why demand people have their unwanted babies when they are very likely going to be unable or unwilling to properly care for them, resulting in more chaos for the state as it has to provide services for them, including jailing them for life when their resulting existential angst makes them sociopaths?

or how about proclaiming to the world that we're for the expansion of democracy (at the price of collataral death and damage to millions) while refusing to recognize the result of democratic elections in palestine or sever our cozy-connections to military dictators in pakistan?

Endorsing the democratic process as a means to a particular set of socio-political ends that we believe it's in both our interest and their interest to support is one thing, endorsing and subsidizing every outcome that the process generates - even when it's detrimental for all concerned - is quite another.

How will all of the values that most folks that self-identify as progressives claim to value above all else fare under the stewardship of either Hamas or whichever band of Islamists assumes control of Pakistan? In most settings a democratic process of some sort is the best mechanism for securing the rule of law, a broad set of personal freedoms, etc - but this isn't always the case at all times, in all places.

I don't think that an official policy of promoting democratic rule around the globe obligates us to support - much less subsidize to the tune of hundreds of millions of dollars - each and every outcome that the democratic process brings about today, any more than it did after the election that took place in the Reichstag a few decades ago.

There may also be times and places where the folks likely to be brought into power via popular vote are likely to be even more repressive and "un-democratic" than the regime that they replace. This was true in Russia in 1917, in Iran in the late 1970's, and there's reason to suspect that this is a distinct possibility in the Pakistan of today. I think the best option in cases like this is to support a process of gradual democratization that provides an outlet for popular resentment before it boils over into precipitous revolution, but translating whatever impulses happen to be animating the population at that moment in time into a new government may not be the ideal means of doing so.

Hypocrisy is actually a pretty good, and underrated, if you ask me. I took my wife to see them open for Cannibal Corpse, on our third date.

Oh, wait, are you guys talking about, like, being against the war and then voting for it? Sorry. I think I got this confused with the 'Fight Music' thread.

Yeah, but that base player who always does that strange little dance drives me crazy. He always starts with wiggling the one arm, then the second, then his legs, and before you know it, he's bopping around in place. Then, thankfully, he stops. But then the arms starts up again. Makes me nuts.

Never noticed. Sure beats that little bitch of a lead singer for Cradle of Filth.

Hypocrisy is actually a pretty good, and underrated, if you ask me. I took my wife to see them open for Cannibal Corpse, on our third date.

Oh, wait, are you guys talking about, like, being against the war and then voting for it? Sorry. I think I got this confused with the 'Fight Music' thread.

Yeah, but that base player who always does that strange little dance drives me crazy. He always starts with wiggling the one arm, then the second, then his legs, and before you know it, he's bopping around in place. Then, thankfully, he stops. But then the arms starts up again. Makes me nuts.

Never noticed. Sure beats that little bitch of a lead singer for Cradle of Filth.

Dani has some issues. But underneath it all, I bet he's a really nice guy.

Does anyone know about this law in WA state that says you have to vote your own party? WTF is up with that…..talk about hypocrisy. The right to vote????? Yeah….right….as long as you vote only for what you are registered for……

There is no law regarding what you say, as far as general elections are concerned. Are you thinking of the primaries?

it also appears inconsistent to be anti-abortion and anti-welfare, another classic conservative conundrum - why demand people have their unwanted babies when they are very likely going to be unable or unwilling to properly care for them, resulting in more chaos for the state as it has to provide services for them, including jailing them for life when their resulting existential angst makes them sociopaths?

or how about proclaiming to the world that we're for the expansion of democracy (at the price of collataral death and damage to millions) while refusing to recognize the result of democratic elections in palestine or sever our cozy-connections to military dictators in pakistan?

Endorsing the democratic process as a means to a particular set of socio-political ends that we believe it's in both our interest and their interest to support is one thing, endorsing and subsidizing every outcome that the process generates - even when it's detrimental for all concerned - is quite another.

How will all of the values that most folks that self-identify as progressives claim to value above all else fare under the stewardship of either Hamas or whichever band of Islamists assumes control of Pakistan? In most settings a democratic process of some sort is the best mechanism for securing the rule of law, a broad set of personal freedoms, etc - but this isn't always the case at all times, in all places.

I don't think that an official policy of promoting democratic rule around the globe obligates us to support - much less subsidize to the tune of hundreds of millions of dollars - each and every outcome that the democratic process brings about today, any more than it did after the election that took place in the Reichstag a few decades ago.

There may also be times and places where the folks likely to be brought into power via popular vote are likely to be even more repressive and "un-democratic" than the regime that they replace. This was true in Russia in 1917, in Iran in the late 1970's, and there's reason to suspect that this is a distinct possibility in the Pakistan of today. I think the best option in cases like this is to support a process of gradual democratization that provides an outlet for popular resentment before it boils over into precipitous revolution, but translating whatever impulses happen to be animating the population at that moment in time into a new government may not be the ideal means of doing so.

Or, to summarize:

"Democracy is not always best perceived as the power of the majority to do everything to everyone else." - Oscar Wilde.

Does anyone know about this law in WA state that says you have to vote your own party? WTF is up with that…..talk about hypocrisy. The right to vote????? Yeah….right….as long as you vote only for what you are registered for……

There is no law regarding what you say, as far as general elections are concerned. Are you thinking of the primaries?

Ok…..so what about the primaries?

I have always viewed primaries as the voters of each party's chance to select their candidate. Based on that, it has always made sense, to me, to have Republicans voting in Republican Primaries and Democrats voting in Democratic Primaries. I am sure that those voting as 'Independents' can vote in the primary of their choice.

No one is impeding your right to vote, dude. To the best of my knowledge, there are accomodations available for those who consider themselves 'independent.'

I'll bet it is. And it just warms my heart whenever I see a guy lugging around his kid. It's so cool to see the way a dad and his kid look at each other. Makes me all melty inside.

But, that same dad can be at peace with the fact that abortion is legal.

just look at the kid, and think "what if my s.o. thought of him as an 'it', a zygote, a mistake, non-human, or 'inconvenient'". Seems hypocritical to me.

I have always viewed primaries as the voters of each party's chance to select their candidate. Based on that, it has always made sense, to me, to have Republicans voting in Republican Primaries and Democrats voting in Democratic Primaries. I am sure that those voting as 'Independents' can vote in the primary of their choice.

No one is impeding your right to vote, dude. To the best of my knowledge, there are accomodations available for those who consider themselves 'independent.'

Soon, you will regret that you ever answered one of his questions with knowledge, logic, and thought.

I'll bet it is. And it just warms my heart whenever I see a guy lugging around his kid. It's so cool to see the way a dad and his kid look at each other. Makes me all melty inside.

just look at the kid, and think "what if my s.o. thought of him as an 'it', a zygote, a mistake, non-human, or 'inconvenient'". Seems hypocritical to me.

Could be.

But hey, at least I am consistent! Under certain conditions, I am able to accept war, death penalty, and abortion. Oh, and hunting. Top that.

Could be.

But hey, at least I am consistent! Under certain conditions, I am able to accept war, death penalty, and abortion. Oh, and hunting. Top that.

quit arguing with me! I want to pick on Kevboner!

Soon, you will regret that you ever answered one of his questions with knowledge, logic, and thought.

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Could be.

quit arguing with me! I want to pick on Kevboner!

Don't know who yer talking about.

hey kevbone, you wanna know what hypocrisy is? it's a guy who posts fawning pic's of his kids in a sensitivioso thread and talks about how great fatherhood is, then goes on an on about abortion rights. :wave:

Are you serious? Your way of thinking is the problem…….it is possible to believe in something and not practice it.

I believe it is your right to have an abortion if you choose. Even though I would never ask women to get one. I would never tell you, you can not.

So yes I post pictures of my child……and I speak for abortion……its called free thinking….you should try it sometime…..