La Nina Doom

JosephH

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bill, I will and I'll also be still going out to Beacon until Feb 1st. every time there's two dry days in a row if any real 'Northwesterners' are still climbing outside then...

:lmao:

Well, I DO have one of those vibrating chairs that has a HEATER and a multi-zone vibrator and a hell of a view of downtown. If you had one of those you might see how difficult it is to leave the house when it's 40 degrees out.

Speaking only for myself here as I know you put those pocket warmers in your pockets and keep going right through winter till it either gets ugly beyond belief or someone tells you to stop (cause it's closed now).

I think Ujahn wanted to hook up Sat. and finish your new route with you. He's a great belayer, still works on those arcane skills like escaping a belay and can pull 5.11 if he wants, send him up there. I'll blow off the Butte cleanup and take pics if you dudes head out.

My elbow feels slightly better too, pretty encouraging, course it could be the Ibuprofen talkin.

:wave:

I think Ujahn wanted to hook up Sat. and finish your new route with you. He's a great belayer and can pull 5.11 if he wants, send him up there. I'll blow off the Butte cleanup and take pics if you dudes head out.

My elbow feels slightly better too, pretty encouraging, course it could be the Ibuprofen talkin.

:wave:

Like the sound of both of those - please give Ujahn my number.

OK Feck, maybe not, bit of a rush to judgment on my part:-).

But just so you know, I will point out that in the winter when the hard cold bitter winds are howling thorough that wind tunnel that is the gorge and the rock and moss is still epic wet, shockingly cold and freezing, while the night owls coo softly in the lonely still of the night as the Scorpions lay curled in deep hibernation, Joseph (and Ivan too sometimes but especially Joseph) will go out there and rope solo 5.9-5.10 by himself while pussies such as myself are home curled up by the fire. As he's even older than me (I'm 53 next month), well, I don't have any excuses.

Feck that's especially why your statement above that if Joseph didn't like the NW weather he can get out seemed a wee bit wrong.

I'm hoping that we have a wet cold one this year as it's the last year my son and I will be burning up the slopes all winter.

Keep in mind this is a forecast...not a guarantee

La Nina MAY give us a good winter, last year was El Nino and Whistler saw 46 feet of snow..thats 400 cm above normal.

We are not in La Nina yet we are still below the temperature threshhold..at least according to the most recent data I could find, and this is forecast to be a weak to moderate La Nina.

The last La Nina brought Whister less than average snowfall, only 800 cm as opposed to the average of 1000 cm.

Would be intersting to see other mountain totals during La Nina and El Nino years

Keep in mind this is a forecast...not a guarantee

La Nina MAY give us a good winter, last year was El Nino and Whistler saw 46 feet of snow..thats 400 cm above normal.

We are not in La Nina yet we are still below the temperature threshhold..at least according to the most recent data I could find, and this is forecast to be a weak to moderate La Nina.

The last La Nina brought Whister less than average snowfall, only 800 cm as opposed to the average of 1000 cm.

Would be intersting to see other mountain totals during La Nina and El Nino years

Here is a good article by Mark Moore (NWAC)that has graphs of most of the major ski areas in the NW and their snow pack during El Nino years vs. the raw average and El Nino averages, I didn't find one for La Nina years.

Here is an article from NOAA, forecasting a La Nina and giving an operational definition of La Nina (about 1/2 way down the page).

Here is the latest operational SST anomoly chart, which shows the equatorial pacific well within the definition.

A La Nina event of at least moderate seems probable.

Edited by hefeweizen

Here is an article from NOAA, forecasting a La Nina and giving an operational definition of La Nina (about 1/2 way down the page).

Keep in mind thats over a year old and we went in El Nino after that..the reason why the 06 cold event was not classified as La Nina is that it didnt occur for more than 5 consecutive overlapping seasons

Check this more recent link, scroll to page 21,22,23

NOAA

Ya it seems that moderate La Nina is highly probably but that doesnt nessecarily mean a big snowpack just that the La Nina event increases our chances at having severe weather or lots of snow

yeah, I know it doesn't gaurantee a phat year, but it doesn't hurt either!

Yup!! Cheers to that!! :brew:

These two shots are awesome, clearly showing the change form El Nino to La Nina

Warm water off the coast of S America bringing rain and crappy fishing from Jan 07

anomnight.1.1.2007.gif

Cold Water now and the formation of La Nina at the end of September 07

anomnight.9.26.2007.gif