tires

goldenchild

I'm assuming I'm posting on the right forum

I drive a Nissan Pickup XE 4wd v6.

I was in Kal-Tire ( a chain in Canada) and they recommended the Nokian Vattiva. I was looking for some tires that would haul me up to Whistler and beyond in the winter. Do alot of backcountry skiing in the Duffey Lake area. So, it was important to have good peformance on highways with snow. And during the summer, good enough to on the occasional logging road.

The person at the shop thinks I don't need two sets of tires but a good set of all seasons is good enough.

You guys thinks I need two sets of tires? Any recommendations other than the Nokian?

Lastly, I've been told it's much cheaper if you go to the states and purchase it. So for the Canadians out there, has anyone have experience with this and can recommend a good shop down in Washington? And finally are there any duty on tires, particularly foreign tires like the Nokian's.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd get two sets of tires if you can afford it, and some decent chains if you don't already have them.

If you are looking to go with a single set of tires, the Michelin LTX M/S would probably be a good choice. Last a long time (80,000 miles on mine so far), relatively quiet ride, and perform well in slippery conditions. The performance on snow isn't going to be nearly as good as a dedicated snow tire, but they do pretty well for all season's. I think it ran me something like $800 US for a set of four installed, so they aren't cheap, but if you plan on keeping the car a while they will provide good value.

With regards to the tires, there's quite a bit of good info and user reviews here:

http://www.tirerack.com/

LTX M/S Page:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Michelin&tireModel=LTX+M%2FS

BF Goodrich All Terrain KO are a great tire. Sworn by by many, All seasons are not much of a snow tire and are actually not allowed in eastern Canada in winter. If you want to be safe get good snowies and a set of summer tires and don't forget to rotate them. Michelin I think, are more expensive but last for ages

Two years ago I was about to buy a set of snow tires for my Subaru Outback. At one shop they introduced my to the NOKIAN, and I learned that it was "rated" as a traction device (with the little snowflake), which makes it legal in most circumstances in OREGON. Most suprisingly, it was also rated at 40,000 miles, which is why I bought a set and use them year-round. Only a small percentage of the miles I drive are on snow, but now the traction on snow is improved and I never have to worry about getting cited for not using chains. Price was very reasonable.

From your intended use, and with 4wd, I think you need one set of all-season tires. If that doesn't feel good enough to you, add a pair of chains in the back for really dire situations. Cheap. Not overkill.

I drive an awd Subaru, so far I've had two sets of all-season tires (the stock Bridgestone Potenza RE... 72s I think, and now a set of Pirelli P-Zero Nero M/S) and I have had no trouble with snowy roads. I bought the Pirellis from Discount Tire, I walked in with the Tirerack.com price and asked them to match it. They did.

If you're really going to be doing a lot of snow driving, I hear Blizzaks are the bomb.

I think the ONLY reasons to get two sets of tires are if your winter is really extreme, or you want to totally rip up the asphalt in the summer with a high-performance summer tire. I don't think either of these describes your situation.

Cable chains break too easily.

I see them on the side of the road all the time.

Sometimes they wrap around your axle and can damage your brake line.

Buy chains made out of chain and save yourself a hassle.

I get mine at garage sales.

In fact I have a couple extra pairs. PM me if you are rich.

In snowy McCall, where barstool snow tire debates rival the intensity of the recurve vs compound bow issue during September, Nokian tires rule. The company has developed a series of light truck tires for US style trucks that excel on snow and ice, yet remain a good year-round choice. I bought my first set in 1982 for my Saab 96 and have used them on every rig I've owned since.

I went to the local costco and saw the Michelin MT/S. Torn btwn those and the Nokian's. The Michelins were much cheaper. Decisions, decisions.

I would heartily recommend the Michelin LTX M/S. I had them on my 93 Pathfinder XE for exactly the use you described above (driving to Whistler, Duffey Lake, forest roads, etc.) The first set I bought were at 120,000+ km (they lasted almost seven years) when I replaced them, and they probably could have been driven for another summer, but I wanted new tread for the winter. The second set ended up being the most valuable part of the truck when I sold it this spring.

Keep an eye out for Costco's coupon for Michelins. With it, you'll be hard pressed to find a better price in the Lower Mainland.

JayB

This is the quote I got from tirefactory.com in Washington for the Nokian Vatiiva:

Price for the Nokian Vatiiva, size 235-75R15 is $140.00 each, plus 8.4% sales tax and $1.00 per tire state disposal tax. The price includes mounting and balancing.

The Costco in the states sell the Michelin LTX M/S for $122 each. Should include installation and balancing

----------------------------------

The difference in Canada is greater. At Costco Canada it will cost me 685 CDN for 4 Michelin tires + installation.

For the Vatiiva about 850 CDN at Kal-Tire who have exclusive rights.

The Nokian WR SUV was another suggestion. The WR SUV was 4 ply vs 6 ply on Vatiiva. WR SUV was also approved for snow conditions whereas the Vatiiva was better off-road. I believe the WR SUV was more expensive by 25/tire.

Thanks again

• 2 weeks later...

I have a 2001 Pathfinder. Stock tires were 255/65/R16. I put BF Goodrich All Terrain KO in 245/70/R16. Costco won't do the install, (Discount Tire will though,) because the tires are outside the fitment range according to their instalation book/computer, but they fit just fine and even leave enough room for chains, and traction is amazing in snow/ice and gravel logging roads. I've been running them for 25,000km so far and I'm incredibly happy with them. The BFGs have a softer sidewall so percision cornering on pavement is sacrificed slightly for off road performance.

Is the 16 inch BFG KO a 6 ply? I am debating the michelin/bfg choice as well. I have had both on other viehicles and found them both to be great. The michelins lasted considerably longer back then. Different rubber compounds, tread etc nowadays. I will have to have a look at the nokians.