Sleeping Bag Recommendations...

bellemontagne

Okay guys and gals, I would love some feedback on a few different down sleeping bag models/brands (specifically in the 0 degree F range). I'm pretty knowledgeable about down, but I would be interested in feedback from users in a few different areas:

1) The performance of different shell materials like Gore Dryloft, Mountain Hardware's Conduit SL, and MEC's F.O.H20 laminate shell.

2) How well the zippers work - do they have a tendency to stick? Do they run pretty smoothe?

3) Has anyone had a problem with the construction of their bag? Any returns?

4) Are there any other consistent problems folks have noticed with these bags?

Right now, I've narrowed my search down to a few bands/models.

1) Mountain Hardware Universe or Big Bang SL wth Conduit Shell

2) Marmot Never Summer with Dryloft shell option

3) MEC Swan with F.OH2O Shell

I would love to buy a Western Mountaineering or Feathered Friends 800+ fill down bag with Dryloft, but my budget simply does not allow for such extravagance [Frown] .

Has anyone had any positive experience with any of these bags? It's important that I have a down bag that does have an effective water resistant shell becuase there will be times when it will be exposed to moisture.

Thanks again for the feedback!!! [Cool]

[ 10-17-2002, 11:34 PM: Message edited by: bellemontagne ]

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have the Never Summer with Marmot's proprietary MemBrain shell material instead of Dryloft. I haven't used it much, but it seems warm enough and pretty waterproof. You can find them pretty cheap at a lot of places (though usually without the MemBrain/Dryloft shell). The zippers are pretty good (a LOT better than my old REI bag [Mad] ) and I don't have any complaints about the construction.

-Josh

Well, I did some "field research" yesterday. The Marmot Never Summer bag rocks. It's easy to get into and zip up. My big complaint about sleeping bags are zippers getting caught. No problems here! This is definitely the bag I will be buying...

I also tried out the MH Universe SL. This bag ain't the greatest. The zipper got caught several times. The biggest complaint is that it is hard to zip up and get the hood on when your inside the bag. I'm 5'10" and it was almost impossible to get myself inside the Size Regular bag. I had to get into the size large bag, and it wasn't too much easier to get the hood on and zip up. Plus, the Quantum expander feature seems to be a waste...

Taiga bags are where it's at. I got a 800 fill dryloft -30 celcius for 550CAD , compared to $1000 for same deal but western mountaineering. Not as well constructed as WM but better than MECs. Zipppers don't stick, and very conservative in their temp rating of the bag. They're made in Vancouver (I think) and their store is right near MEC. Most of their Gore-Tex and other cloths (except fleece) I don't really like but their Down jackets and Bags are boss.

quote:

Originally posted by bellemontagne:

1) The performance of different shell materials like Gore Dryloft, Mountain Hardware's Conduit SL, and MEC's F.O.H20 laminate shell.

My experience with MH's Conduit SL has been nothing short of horrible. It's neither waterproof, nor breathable - which would be alright if they dropped the price on their stuff. Avoid it like the clap.

Carl

quote:

Originally posted by Dr.Hook:

Sal, I'm currently looking at picking up one of those Taiga bags. I own one of their down/dryloft jackets and love it, especially the price. How long have you had/used the bag and how well does it pack down? In addition what faults have you found if any.

Ive had the bag for one heavily used year. The only problem I can find is that the bag makers assume that if you are tall (6'6") then you must be fat. Because it is an extra long and I am very "wiry" there is extra space in the bag making it a little colder, for me. I have used the bag to -23C and just wore my down jacket to fill up the space. It's not a lot of space or even a big problem it just doesn't fit like a custom bag. I think being "wiry" is the problem not the bag [Wink] .

Be very wary of Taiga as a lot of their clothing absolutely bites and their return policy is absolutely non-existant if you have a problem. I was once there on a Boxing Day (seriously) and watched the staff deny a guy who got a jacket for XMAS witha stain on it.

Down in all its forms has drawbacks; without dryloft your breath wets it out, with your body vapour wets it out. Neither dry well at all -- fine if you're only out for a day. Over a multi-day ski trip, wearing your belay clothes inside a sythetic bag makes the most sense -- absolutely no worry factor. Synthetic can dry out in a few hours in the sun too. My new Polarguard Delta (TNF Cat's Meow) is much more durable, warmer, and lighter than an old 3D bag which I ruined in a year. Synthetic is so cheap that you can sleep in the dirt and not feel bad. Embrace all gear that gets you closer to your inner dirtbag [Wink]

quote:

Originally posted by jordop:

Be very wary of Taiga as a lot of their clothing absolutely bites and their return policy is absolutely non-existant if you have a problem <snip>

I have had real problems a long time ago with Taiga warranty.

I think that they have the best deals on down & good basic fleece though. I have a pile jacket from 1989 that I thrash on and it's still in one piece. Just about needs its third zipper... [big Grin]

A fiend of a friend (seriously) worked there and they were told that in warranty cases and returns "the customer is wrong" [Eek!][Eek!]