Crash Pads

Peter_Puget

Ok shamed into writing a TR by ChucK I have agreed to go check out a supposedly groovy semi new boudering spot. I was encouraged to go buy one of those crash pad things so..anybody have good or bad experiences. Taco style v. hinged thoughts? WHo sells what where? I heard the zealot brand is good? What about cordless or fish? metolius?

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

last time my dog tripped me, and I fell on her, she made a fine crash pad (to her and my dismay) [Wink]

So, in my experience (of one) Brindle Boxer smootchie face dogs make good crash pads - albiet moving targets...

No, in all seriousness, I will ask my bouldering buddy, as his seems to be quite good (good enough to get me off the deck w/out a rope) and has worked quite well every time taken out.

You know you're in the USA when someone has to cogitate between an array of way-over-priced mattresses. [Roll Eyes] Pretty soon they will make crashpads for specific climbing areas, specific problems, specific beanie hat types, etc. etc. Bouldering itself is cool. The bouldering scene, however [rockband] , I think is hilarious [laf] .

Alot of responses very little info tho. Hey Iain great idea what woudl be great is on designed to make sloping landings flat - I am thinking a wedge type of thing. [big Grin]

On a serious note I once saw a dog really injured by a falling climber. [Frown]

After climbing longer than most of you have been alive a soft landing a necessity for my poor back even if the landing is good.

Crash pad technology isn't rocket science. They are all pretty good at this stage of the game. One of the more versatile designs (and cheaper in price) is the bittersweet double wide (http://store.yahoo.com/bittersweetgear/doubboulpad4.html)

I don't boulder a whole lot, and don't own a pad, but have gotten to land on some. They're pretty cush, and they work. Go for it! Join the pad people! (Beanie and baggy pants not required).

pete,

don't let anyone know i am responding to your post about crashpads. i could never live down the abuse!!

so what i have found in my many attepts to use crashpads is that they are cumbersome to carry, store and trasport. but once there they serve many excellent purposes!!! [Eek!]

only 2 drawbacks that i could even think about the hinged as opposed to burrito. 1. is that they might not pack extra as well, since the hinge is more conformed. 2. landing on the hinged part might make the pad fold, resulting in your old bones to take a jarring.

metal buckles are obviously better.

i say get a fairly thick one, i mean you are going to buy one, might as well buy the big one. more options, you know!! high density foam on top and low density on bottom.

i believe cordless is the industry standard, but have noticed quite few new companies are getting into the fray.

your fatness,

erik

p.s. are you still too outta shape to go climbing with me?? i have purposefully stopped all types of healthful living to try and obtain the 'off the couch' status? let me know!

[laf][laf][laf][laf]

The MEC El-zee goes for Can$148, which squares out to 100 US bills if you ship it. It's not quite as big as the Cordless large, but is half the price. Because it's MEC brand, they will also ship to the US. I took a risk and ordered one, and it should be here in a few days, so I'll give a report when I get it.

[rockband]

I don't know if you're into making your own stuff or not but if you are, I heard of a guy who gets scraps from a futon maker and uses the harder of the scraps, layers it together and wraps it all in a heavy duty material that sheds dirt fairly well and you have your pad for less than half the price. Those things are WAY over priced.

Pad (MEC El-zee) arrived on Friday (1 week after I ordered it!). I spent Saturday bouldering and lounging around on it at Smith (hot [Cool] hot [Cool] ). I sucked, but the pad rocked! I dunno, I guess I don't have much experience with other pads, but it seemed well-made and durable, without a lot of bells and whistles (standard MEC fare). If you want a decent pad without spending a lot of $, I think it's a good buy.

BTW, the bouldering grades in the back of the Smith book are all over the place - some way undergraded, as well as some real sandbags. Then again, what's an "S2+" supposed to feel like anyway?? [Wazzup]