Compare LED Headlamps

Rodchester

I am looking at LED headlamps and would like some input.

Specifically I have been comparing the BD Moonlight with the Petzl Tikka. My wife has the Tikka and loves it. I would like to have something with just a bit more light, but still get great battery life and stay lightweight.

Does the BD Moonlight give that much more light?

Also, I scanned the other thread that seemed to really pump up the Princeton. What is the cost of the Ptec and who carries them? I assume REI? How about FF and Second Ascent?

Oh yeah...any others I've missed?

Thanks in advance. [big Drink]

[ 07-30-2002, 08:47 AM: Message edited by: Rodchester ]

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

rod,

the headlamop deal is an easy one for me.....lighter...

well i think the tika is stupid.........if you want light go with the ptec single led on a bungee cord with a toggle....and then have the bigger ptec for other applications.....

that way you are more flexiable with your options...

i read something about the screw that pivots the ptec getting losse...well after 2 years i am still waiting for that happen......

i have no opinion on tebd lamp.....

also all led depending on battery life are pretty equally as bright.....the ptecs have a voltage regulator which allows them to stay consitantly bright over the entire life of the battery.....

i do not know who carries them, i got mine straight from the company....

Princeton Tec has two different LED headlamps.

The older Matrix looks like a standard headlamp and has a 3 LED insert which replaces the standard bulb and reflector and uses 2 AA batteries.

The newer Aurora looks like a tikka with 3 LEDs in a triangular pattern and uses 3 AAA batteries.

[ 07-30-2002, 10:04 AM: Message edited by: Attitude ]

http://www.pelican.com/main.htm

Pelican makes super waterproof stuff and bomb proof construction. I use their little LED as a back-up light or when I don't expect to need a light. It weighs about 1/3 a pikka, and uses 4 watch batteries that I think are available in lithium. (It also has a red LED option which does not interfear with your night vision. but it may be to dim)

I used to use their versa light as my main head light with a red lens for night snow travel or non-technical night hiking and could see better than with a big'ol halogen light.