unplanned bivy: cops destroying backcountry weed

Gary_Yngve

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know, but it just seems humorous to me. I have a visual of these donut eating, Chief Wiggam-looking heavy fellas in cowboy boots "Hey lets take the shortcut over the mountain". I'm glad they are all fine, it wouldn't be funny if they weren't. I did look like thye were carrying a litter...hmmm.

Full story from Melissas link:

" Sunday, August 12, 2007

By JOSE PAUL CORONA and DAVE KERN Columbian Staff Writer

An effort to rescue law enforcement officers in the Columbia River Gorge was wrapped up shortly after 3 p.m. today.

The last man, a Clark County Sheriff’s deputy, was taken out of the Dog Creek canyon area Sunday afternoon by a rescue crew.

Nine officers hiked into the area Saturday afternoon to destroy 3,100 marijuana plants east of Dog Mountain, said Skamania County Undersheriff Dave Cox.

They decided to take an alternative route back and ended up spending the night, Cox said.

“They tried to come out through the Dog Creek drainage and one of the guys started to cramp up,” he said.

They also found the area very difficult to walk because of its canyon-like terrain.

The group included members of the Clark-Skamania Drug Task Force and Skamania County Sheriff’s Office deputies, Cox said.

The undersheriff said about 70 rescuers were involved in getting the officers down safely.

A Coast Guard helicopter from Astoria, Ore., tried to rescue the officers about 10 p.m. Saturday but found the winds too strong to make a pickup.

“It’s taken a lot of manpower to bring these guys out because it’s so steep,” Cox said.

One rescuer broke his thumb when it was struck by a falling rock, otherwise, no one was seriously hurt, he said.

Cox said the officers reached the top of the Dog Mountain, at 2,948 feet, and realized they needed to drop down about 1,500 feet to get to the marijuana grow.

“They were pretty much exhausted just by the time they got to the top of Dog Mountain,” Cox said.

So, after the grow was destroyed, Cox said, the officers decided against climbing back up Dog Mountain and to try the Dog Creek drainage route.

Cox said other rescue team members are with Portland Mountain Rescue; Multnomah County Search and Rescue; Wind River Search and Rescue; Clark County Search and Rescue; Silver Star Search and Rescue; and the Volcano Rescue Team of Yacolt. He said the American Red Cross helped at the base camp near Drano Lake on state Highway 14."

I guess the moral of that story is leave peoples pot alone.