[TR] Mt. Shuksan - Fisher Chimneys 7/1/2007

rob

Trip: Mt. Shuksan - Fisher Chimneys

Date: 7/1/2007

Trip Report:

My buddy Pie called me up suggesting we do a route together this weekend. By Thursday, a questionable weekend forecast had improved and we decided that Fisher Chimneys sounded like a great idea.

Pie recruited Jenni and another climber (Jon) for the adventure. We hit the trailhead at 5 PM Saturday and settled into a comfortable bivy around 8:00 PM or so, dropping packs and going on a quick reconnaissance of the chimneys, hoping to speed our ascent in the morning. Back at camp by nightfall and feeling somewhat confident about the next morning's routefinding, we settled down with dinner and hit the sack.

Lake Ann

180900231.JPG

Sunset

18090020.JPG

The next morning, we quickly learned that our confidence in our route was unfounded as we ascended what was to be the first of several incorrect gullies. :crazy: There was still plenty of snow, and without benefit of a climber's trail or prior knowledge, we wasted time climbing and downclimbing various starts which turned out to be incorrect. Eventually, we found the start of the chimneys (keep moving right!) and didn't have any more route-finding problems after that, except for a few places we had to bypass some snow and moats.

Hmm, not this one

180900181.JPG

This seems better...

18090015.JPG

Whew! Jon, Pie & Jenni on top of the chimneys

18090014.JPG

Winnies Slide -- Oh Noes! The black gloved finger of death!

18090013.JPG

On top of Winnies Slide, Pie and Jon weren't feeling well and decided to wait for us while Jenni and I continued to the summit. We made pretty good time up Hells Highway and onto the final slog to the summit pyramid, where we encountered a group of ~15 (!) mounties taking turns on the summit. Due to time constraints, we abandoned our hopes of climbing the SE ridge and climbed the standard snow ramp instead.

Pretty easy climbing got us on the summit in short order, where we admired the view and snapped some photos before downslogging back to camp. The hike out to the car was awesome. :tup:

Summit View

18090007.JPG

Jenni on the summit

18090005.JPG

Me on the summit

18090004.JPG

I downslogging -- there it is again! :o

18090002.JPG

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic