Index Lower Town Wall Major Rockfall in Country

ziggy

Saturday eve rains June 24 major rockfall came down in the Country area above the Zoom/ Kite flying Blind/ Wham. Large granite blocks are now in the woods below, as well as a block on the dirt road just outside the picnic area. Broken trees and branches abound, and some large trees are still hung up horizonally half way up the wall. Likely the rock is from the east side of Orc Tower, but not sure. The area is definitely dangerous and likely more debris will move in the next rains.

PS. we did score the last ascent of Wham and Kite Flying Blind sunny Sat afternoon.....

Edited by ziggy

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We got a look at the area yesterday. It was impressive. One can see what looks like a fresh scar up above in line with a leaning conifer. It looks like the main boulder dropped straight down, struck a rock surface and then bounced outward, arcing through the top of a large alder tree.

In my non-experienced opinion of cleaning climbing areas, I would say that there is really not much to move. There is a little bit of rock debris and treefall that should be moved away from the base of the wall, but not much more than that.

I may be out there Thurs, but may not. I will definitely be there this weekend, and would be happy to meet up with anyone interested in this drudgery. Later, they can laugh at me climbing if they need a lift after moving rocks and stuff around.

Oh, and I can bring my chainsaw, ax, whatever folks might think is needed. Again, I am not good at assessing this sort of thing, but I am good at taking simple orders like, "Move tree", "Move rock", etc.

Edited by archenemy

In my non-experienced opinion of cleaning climbing areas, I would say that there is really not much to move. There is a little bit of rock debris and treefall that should be moved away from the base of the wall, but not much more than that.

I may be out there Thurs, but may not. I will definitely be there this weekend, and would be happy to meet up with anyone interested in this drudgery. Later, they can laugh at me climbing if they need a lift after moving rocks and stuff around.

Oh, and I can bring my chainsaw, ax, whatever folks might think is needed. Again, I am not good at assessing this sort of thing, but I am good at taking simple orders like, "Move tree", "Move rock", etc.

I was thinking more along the lines of rapping down from above and trying to clear out some of the loose blocks that surely remain.

I was thinking more along the lines of rapping down from above and trying to clear out some of the loose blocks that surely remain.

Even if you didn't find anything to move, a close up inspection would give a lot of people peace of mind. Certainly that leaning tree could be removed.