Road trip to Everest for the torch ceremony!

cj001f

http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/2007-06/18/content_6259691.htm

HASA, June 18 (Xinhua) -- China will begin Monday building a "highway" on Mount Qomolangma, the world's tallest peak, in southwest China's Tibet Autonomous Region so as to ease the path of those bearing the Olympic torch.

Budgeted at 150 million yuan (19.7 million U.S. dollars), construction of the road will kick off at Qomolangma Base Camp 5,200 meters above sea level.

The project aims to turn a 108-km rough road linking Tingri County of Xigaze Prefecture at the foot of the mountain to the Base Camp into a blacktop highway fenced by undulating guardrails.

The project will take about four months. On completion, the highway will become the major route for tourists and mountaineers who are crowding onto Mount Qomolangma, known in the west as Mount Everest, in ever larger numbers.

Organizers of the Beijing Games have revealed ambitious plans for the longest torch relay in Olympic history -- a 137,000-kilometer, 130-day route that would cross five continents and scale the world's summit, which straddles the border between China and Nepal.

Fuck China.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

When I was there on the Tibet side we drove to 17 grand in big trucks. I guess now you'll be able to take your Lamborghini to base camp. The gravel roads seemed good enough.

One thing about the Chinese drivers that really pissed me off was watching our driver speed up when he saw a Tibetan dude herding a large flock of sheep on or near the road and causing the sheep to scatter and leaving the poor Tibetan dude to spend his day trying to get the sheep back together.

I know there are plenty of cool Chinese out there, but these guys were fucking pricks.

I'm sure the gondola will have to go up the north col route. I'd hope they'd put in a restaurant/bar at ABC and a snack bar at the north col. They're going to have to do some burly engineering to deal with the 200+ mph jet stream winds that happen in the off season up high.

The new golf course at base camp is going to be an engineering marvel too.

You guys are idiots. Clearly the gondola would never survive the avalanches and winds. Sheesh.

A "gerbal tube" burried under the snow is what we need. An escalator would take you to the top, where you could step out of a hatch to get your summit photo taken. :tup:

Prostitutes and pimps openly propositioned Western mountaineers, and Tibetan pony carts, like colorful, miniature stagecoaches, offered rides to the monastery at nearby Rongbuk. Doctors told me that in addition to the traditional frostbite and altitude sickness, they now treat plenty of venereal diseases and wounds from base-camp brawls.

:noway: