What are crack tools?

billcoe

On the Leavenworth trad ethic thread: DC Cramer was talkin cleaning a crack out and said:

If the crack is one route. I have crack tools. If the crack is not where the route is I'll call bullshit from the start. After all you didnt claim the route is a squeeze job but rather a bolted crack. Traversing off route to the left and right won't cut it.

:tup:

Does everone know what he's talkin about ir is it just me being stupid? If you know, then what are they and what do you use for "crack tools."

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I bought some thing at the hardware store the other day called a "crack weeder". It looks like the perfect thing for the job. Though maybe better for a crag rather than a remote alpine thing as it's a bit heavy.

I did a google image search for "crack weeder" and :blush:. If you're at work you might want to make sure you have the "safe search" setting on, or not :cool:

nut tool works just as well.

Theses have bigger handles. My forearms are cramping after 2-3 hours of scrapping with a nut tool. I had specialty ground the tips of a couple of nut tools so they are sharp crack weeders.

(woke up early from a deep sleep scratching poison oak, so here I sit drinking coffee, it's even too early for the dogs to crawl out of bed)

as long as you use the old blunt/broken pick and not a good one cause it'll end up about as sharp as a butter knife after scrubbing a couple pitches

for real heavy duty scrubbing, you want an ice axe cause the adze works great to peel off moss carpets

for cleaning a pitch it helps to have an ice tool, narrow wirebrush, whisk, nuttool and toothbrush

start with axe

whisk

go over it with wirebrush

whisk

use nut tool on thin parts and deep cracks

whisk

final touch up with toothbrush

one last whisk and it's g2g

On granite I've found a 5" broad knife usefull for cleaning lichen from flat surfaces, but this tool is not at all helpfull on many other types of more textrured rock.

By the way, anybody have an old alpine hammer they don't use? I destroyed mine using it to try to pry out a bolt. The mangled pick catches in cracks now.

• 11 months later...

This is the only tool for the modern new router.

This hammer is good for pounding iron, pulling pins, moss mixed moves, driving bolts, killing meddling kids foolish enough to discover your evil plans, removing rotten rock, light prybar work, scraping moss off... everything.

Wall hammers and nut tools are a joke for cleaning a lot of moss and dirt out of cracks, this thing is a killing machine.

Rock-Hammer-Supreme-22-Pointed-Tip-Estwing.gif

The Estwing 22 Supreme

I used to have something like that Estwing thing when I was a kid. A geologist neighbor gave it to me. Great for smashing open rocks. One winter I used it to chip two inches of ice off our driveway and it worked great, except it nearly destroyed the driveway in the process. Dad was none too happy. Thankfully we lived in a rental at the time.

I like the standard weeder for PNW cleaning. And yes, the nylon brush is much better, mainly because it lasts much longer and doesn't litter the area with metal splinters/hairs.

I'd also second Alpinfox's comment that mask, goggles, and leather gloves are vital. I've inhaled a good bit of dirt and lichen and it is no fun at all.