lifelink shovels

dkemp

So, Outdoor and More has Lifelink shovels - one has the polycarbonate blade and is $35. the other has a 'composite' blade and is on sale at $35.

I've been looking for a LifeLink website to explain the difference but cannot find one.

Any ideas on this? Why one or the other? Perhaps the composite is stonger but heavier?-Dox

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep. I just got a lifelink shovel. I forget which is which. I think the polycarbonate is the transparent blade, which is lighter and more flexible, making it worse in hard snow conditions. The composite is a stronger blade and just a bit heavier. I could have those reversed, but the see-through blade is weaker and lighter. I think the weight difference was 6-7 ounces.

Acknowledged - and usually I have at least one aluminum blade in the party.

I'm planning on carrying this thing on a 20 mile approach and would like to shave a little weight - thus the question.

Since my earlier post I found a site that sells Lifelink products with some descriptions. Yeah, it appears the composite is stronger but weighs a little more and (usually) costs a little more.-D

If the one guy in the team or party has the shovel and gets buried, whatda suppose to do? Does everyone on the the team carry a shovel? Just wondering because I usually see one person carrying a shovel and the rest do not have one.

SO in a party of 2, it is a 50/50 chance you will loose the shovel and/or person in an avalanche.

Jedi

From what I recall Life-Link used to only lifetime warranty their "plastic" blades - not their aluminum ones, specifically to address the myth that aluminum is somehow stronger than the plastics. Any of those shovels will bend or snap if you put a prying action on work-hardened snow (i.e. av. debris). The aluminum shaft of many plastic shovels has failed before the blade does. Plastics should be fine. Just chop and dig rather than pry.

quote:

Originally posted by Alpine Tom:
In Extreme Alpinism, Twight recommends a shovel that connects to the shaft of an ice axe, but doesn't mention any brands.Anyone know what he's talking about?

Tom I have been looking for one of these as well and even considered trying to rig my current set up to work like this with no success. So, if you find one let me know and I'll do the same. I tried Pro Mountain Sports and never got a call back which means they may not be available through conventioinal means anymore. I guess I'll never be as EXTREME as Mr. Twight.

quote:

Originally posted by Bronco:

Tom I have been looking for one of these as well and even considered trying to rig my current set up to work like this with no success. So, if you find one let me know and I'll do the same. I tried Pro Mountain Sports and never got a call back which means they may not be available through conventioinal means anymore. I guess I'll never be as EXTREME as Mr. Twight.

Cant you do this with a deadman and some ingenuity?

[ 02-26-2002: Message edited by: Dru ]

I actually cracked a plastic or Lexan blade before, not by prying it either. I am convinced that the aluminum is stronger when used to cut or slice. However, it is true that either can and will break, especially when using it to pry.

I know that BD used to make one that fit a standard ice ax handle...but I haven't seen one in some time.

DRU: I actually saw someone do an improvised shovel once with a deadman/fluke...it can be done but it really seemed more of a last resort and took some time to set up. For the life of me I cannot remember where I saw this, or how they actually rigged the system up.

quote:

Originally posted by Dru:

Cant you do this with a deadman and some ingenuity?

[ 02-26-2002: Message edited by: Dru ]

why? are they trying to get rid of all those poor people's corpses they discovered at the "crematorium" in Georgia? Thanks anyway, but, I'm not very clever in the first place and I dont think a person's body would work in this case Dru. grin.gif" border="0

quote:

Originally posted by Bronco:

why? are they trying to get rid of all those poor people's corpses they discovered at the "crematorium" in Georgia? Thanks anyway, but, I'm not very clever in the first place and I dont think a person's body would work in this case Dru.
grin.gif" border="0

at least you would have emergency bivy rations.

tongue.gif" border="0

quote:

Originally posted by fern:
if you and I go on a trip and you forget your shovel then you get to carry mine (:

My sentiments exactly. If the situation warrants carrying a shovel, then everyone should have one.(And I ain't carryin' no shovel for my *own* sake). I've never had any problem with my lexan blade, even in hard snow... but then again I've never had to dig anyone out of avalanche debris either. As was stated before, I chop but never pry.