Reccomend a W's jacket?

snoboy

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I spent quite a bit of time looking at jackets for hiking and light climbing last fall. Sounds like your needs have two main differences, which is that you would probably want a powder skirt inside the jacket, and don't care about a belt covering the outside pockets (you didn't say backcountry skiing so I assume you're not wearing descent backpacks).

If it really has to be Gore, then you can ignore my recommended jacket, but hopefully the criteria and comments will still help you do your own evaluation.

GoreTex waterproofing is the same as everything else (except eVent), which is a stretched Teflon with a coating to protect it from body oils and abrasion.

I created a list of criteria I used to measure them, but it's not necessarily complete. I listed it at the bottom.

I'll get to the point right off.

I liked the Mountain Hardwear Backcountry Recon the best and it won for my needs. Of course I'm just one opinion, and no single jacket will suit all needs, but I've been very happy with it.

I personally have a requirement for waterproofing under extremely high winds, or extreme downpours for many hours.

In fact, the women's version is extremely light at about 1 pound, but is very strong.

I often carry one myself since it's lighter weight and nearly as tough as the men's, and the only difference is it's missing one outer chest pocket (which overlaps a lower pocket, so it's useless for anything other than paper anyway).

Major vendors:

- Arc'teryx

- Integral Designs

- Marmot

- Mountain Hardwear

- North Face

- Outdoor Research

- Patagonia

- REI

- Sierra Designs

There's also vendors that focus more on climbing gear, like

- Mammut

- Montbell

- Wild Things

- etc

Short opinions below (not a complete list, just some random thoughts):

- I checked all the web sites, and some sucked really bad, like Patagonia

- I called several of the vendors and was disappointed they couldn't give better answers about their own products

- there is little agreement on how waterproof the new zippers are

- most hood adjustments suck because of cord locations and poor locks

- Arc'teryx appears to be the fashion show jacket, because of the cool factor they so desperately strive for, the extreme pricing, and the fact that they fare so poorly using the criteria below, although they do make some good climbing jackets

- North Face is the fading fashion show vendor (similar to what Arc'teryx is now)

- Mountain Hardwear has something like 27 jackets and it's difficult to tell why you would pick one over the other, although all the vendors with an extensive product line have this problem

- Marmot has many jackets that are hard to pick from, but mostly their zippers made me nervous for high wind situations, and they are also very expensive

- Patagonia has a confusing market position, but probably wins the award for ugly and bulky

- it is shocking how many of these jackets have useless pockets once you put on a pack!

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Price

Weatherproofing

- seams (welded or taped)

- zips (water-resistant or double-flapped)

- pockets (drip flaps, water-resistant zips)

- membrane (all the same as GoreTex, except eVent)

Pockets (outside)

- above belt (still accessible while wearing a pack)

Hood

- adjustable cords, cord locks that hold and work with mittens

- fit

- helmet compatible

- coverage (partial face coverage for severe wind/cold)

- brim (stiff enough for rain/wind)

Inside

- fuzzy lining, slick lining, etc

- pockets

- total number, waterproof, any for bottle-holding

- snow skirt (for skiing, but bulky under a pack)

Fit

- Sleeves (articulated, meaning made with a pre-bent elbow)

- Shoulders (allows easy movement)

- Waist (forms without being constraining)

- Cuffs (to keep cold air out and to work with your glove choice)

Fabric

- durable (shoulder/elbow reinforcement)

- quiet

- soft feel

- breathable

- stiffness (under arms)

- stiffness (when frozen)

- welded vs stitched seams

- laminated 2-layer vs 3-layer

Weight/Size (size means compressed-size)

Style/Color (personal choice)

Actually a powder skirt might be OK, as my GF doesn't like to wear bib pants. Like I said in my first post it has to be Gore, due to warranty...

Yes, a backpack will get worn with this.

Mostly I am looking for jackets that people really liked or disliked, in case there's anything obvious I have not thought of.

Coming from a woman, I think fit is the most important.

I like the patagonia stuff fits, I am smaller and it seems to fit well in men's extra smalls. North face and most other stuff is too long in the arms and legs. But with patagucci, I have big shoulders so I am still able to move wearing their stuff.

If it is for downhill skiing, I would look at Marmot for good price and fit. They also have stuff that is stylish. Check out proguide.com, they seem to have good deals.Yes, definitly marmot stuff.

BTW, I would NOT want a powder skirt.