Exaggerate?

archenemy

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I just re-read the article to see if I missed something. I don't see where you read that the woman who got her lip bitten off didn't help herself? There is no mention of previous violence. Hell, there isn't even a mention of the man threatening her before he bit her lip off. So where on earth did you get your stance from?

I just re-read the article to see if I missed something. I don't see where you read that the woman who got her lip bitten off didn't help herself? There is no mention of previous violence. Hell, there isn't even a mention of the man threatening her before he bit her lip off. So where on earth did you get your stance from?

I don't think i was blaming the victim. Having worked closely with abused women, nothing breaks my heart so much as when a women who has been beaten near to death, has escaped started to put her life together, and then goes back to the monster who is trying to kill her. how do we teach our daughters better than that? how do we give them the self confidence and self preservation necessary to keep them out of harms way. what i read that disturbed me, was that the woman didn't want to press charges. to me, that is devastating. he should go to jail for a long time. but thats just my opinion.

I don't think i was blaming the victim. Having worked closely with abused women, nothing breaks my heart so much as when a women who has been beaten near to death, has escaped started to put her life together, and then goes back to the monster who is trying to kill her. how do we teach our daughters better than that? how do we give them the self confidence and self preservation necessary to keep them out of harms way. what i read that disturbed me, was that the woman didn't want to press charges. to me, that is devastating. he should go to jail for a long time. but thats just my opinion.

In this case the imam probably got to the woman and told her that she would burn in hell if she pressed charges against her husband. So she decided not to cooperate. This thread is related to the one that JayB posted about Bill Moyer, actually.

The only thing I read that even remotely hinted at the guy's wife being a self-created victim is this quote from the article:

"Nzerem's wife said authorities have exaggerated the extent of her injuries."

Obviously someone is pressing charges, otherwise the guy wouldn't be free on a $500k bond and going to trial in June. :rolleyes:

i guess i should say "what i read into that was that the woman didn't want to press charges"

why else would she be saying it was exaggerated.

why the hell isn't she running for her life? he bit off her LIP!!!!! what in the hell would posses a person to bite off someones lip??

Because you have worked with abused women you know that there are two mostly likely life threatening times for them:

1. when they leave

2. when they press charges

so it should make perfect sense to you why she was reluctant to press charges. This very issue is why many states recently (w/i ten or fifteen years) changed their laws so that the state can press charges again domestic abusers and the victim doesn't have to.

just like that chick who was stoned. I mean, they both should have been wearing a burqa. And, just in case that burqa got ripped off by an angry crowd or an angry husband, they should have been mummified with duct tape underneath. Obviously they were loose women and deserved their punishment.

The only thing I read that even remotely hinted at the guy's wife being a self-created victim is this quote from the article:

"Nzerem's wife said authorities have exaggerated the extent of her injuries."

Obviously someone is pressing charges, otherwise the guy wouldn't be free on a $500k bond and going to trial in June. :rolleyes:

The police department itself has the power to press charges if there is evidence of spousal abuse. In this case there was physical evidence- a severed lip.

Because you have worked with abused women you know that there are two mostly likely life threatening times for them:

1. when they leave

2. when they press charges

so it should make perfect sense to you why she was reluctant to press charges. This very issue is why many states recently (w/i ten or fifteen years) changed their laws so that the state can press charges again domestic abusers and the victim doesn't have to.

you are right, it is the most deadly time for them. and the only way it isn't going to be deadly is if he is in jail or dead.

i think that maybe we should stone to death the men who beat women...