George W.

kevbone

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Told ya they would do this, it all about politics.

WASHINGTON - In grudging concessions to President Bush, Democrats intend to draft an Iraq war-funding bill without a timeline for the withdrawal of U.S. troops and shorn of billions of dollars in spending on domestic programs, officials said Monday.

http://clinton.senate.gov/speeches/iraq_101002.html

"In the case of Iraq, recent comments indicate that one or two Security Council members might never approve force against Saddam Hussein until he has actually used chemical, biological, or God forbid, nuclear weapons.

My vote is not, however, a vote for any new doctrine of pre-emption, or for uni-lateralism, or for the arrogance of American power or purpose -- all of which carry grave dangers for our nation, for the rule of international law and for the peace and security of people throughout the world."

Nice, Hilary, nice. Doublethinking with the best of them. She's ready. :crosseye:

Told ya they would do this, it all about politics.

WASHINGTON - In grudging concessions to President Bush, Democrats intend to draft an Iraq war-funding bill without a timeline for the withdrawal of U.S. troops and shorn of billions of dollars in spending on domestic programs, officials said Monday.

Where do you get your info?

I do read, and I read where our allies were saying they thought we had time to continue inspections. Remember how all the right wingers were saying this was "appeasement" as in Chamberlain? Remember our president saying the nay-sayers were "old Europe?"

And what is this "the whole world?" anyway? The "coalition of the willing" had a pretty short list of members - even counting those who we bullied into it.

Matt, buddy...uh, you're trying to debate an organism that barely has a rudimentary central nervous system. Just shine a flashlight in the direction of its food.

Speaking about pre-historic personalities, I heard an interesting interview on NPR last night wherein the speaker has just written a book about how all the major religions were fashioned by people who didn't know that the earth was round and who thought disease was a punishment imposed by an angry god (well I'm not sure he thinks the Budda believed that last part). Further, he said, religious people of all persuasions carry with them the fundamental idea that they have a specially informed knowledge of what god wants for our world.

Thus, he said, modern religions are a man-made construct developed by primitive and ignorant humans from a barely early-development stage in human culture, and they drive people to place themselves above all others. They are inherently bad.

The guy was an arrogant son of a gun, but his arguments were entertaining. And they did speak about Bush and Seahawks.

Curious argument--I don't see how the round earth discovery has anything to do with the understanding of God or religion. I mean, after we find the cure for cancer will our current beliefs (or for that matter, our thoughts in quantuum mechanics or theoretical mathmatics) be invalidated simply because we were ignorant of this monumental medical discovery before forming our thoughts/beliefs/insights on God and religion?

If you look at the current "war against terror," lead by an ignorant buffoon who seeks the rapture and places Christian America above all other peoples in the world, I think you've got to agree the guy has a point.

I can't argue the theology with you, but I can certainly see how the general state of knowledge and accepted ideas about how the world works were and remain a large factor in how we view our relationship with god.

Speaking about pre-historic personalities, I heard an interesting interview on NPR last night wherein the speaker has just written a book about how all the major religions were fashioned by people who didn't know that the earth was round and who thought disease was a punishment imposed by an angry god (well I'm not sure he thinks the Budda believed that last part). Further, he said, religious people of all persuasions carry with them the fundamental idea that they have a specially informed knowledge of what god wants for our world.

Thus, he said, modern religions are a man-made construct developed by primitive and ignorant humans from a barely early-development stage in human culture, and they drive people to place themselves above all others. They are inherently bad.

The guy was an arrogant son of a gun, but his arguments were entertaining. And they did speak about Bush and Seahawks.

Thats why it talks in the bible about the wind blowing to the east and the coming from the west even before they knew the earth was round. Stupid.

If you look at the current "war against terror," lead by an ignorant buffoon who seeks the rapture and places Christian America above all other peoples in the world, I think you've got to agree the guy has a point.

I can't argue the theology with you, but I can certainly see how the general state of knowledge and accepted ideas about how the world works were and remain a large factor in how we view our relationship with god.

You sound like Kevbone you nut.

Further, he said, religious people of all persuasions carry with them the fundamental idea that they have a specially informed knowledge of what god wants for our world.

Exactly. Each and every sect thinks it knows better than the other sect, and knows better than anyone else. It doesn't matter if the ideas conflict with science. Faith means not listening to anyone else's argument with an open ear. Quite the contrary.

Men and women of faith are praised and held in the highest esteem for being steadfast in closing their minds to ideas that might contaminate the dogma.

Edited by catbirdseat

The concept of religion doesn't even necessarily demand the idea of a 'God.' Consider Geertz's definition...

Religion is a system of symbols which acts to establish powerful, pervasive, and long-lasting moods and motivations in men by formulating conceptions of a general order of existence and clothing these conceptions with such an aura of factuality that the moods and motivations seem uniquely realistic.

Sounds a lot like us, doesn't it? Invasions based on a preconceived notion of how the world should work... Theocalypse Now! :moondance:

Further, he said, religious people of all persuasions carry with them the fundamental idea that they have a specially informed knowledge of what god wants for our world.

Exactly. Each and every sect thinks it knows better than the other sect, and knows better than anyone else. It doesn't matter if the ideas conflict with science. Faith means not listening to anyone else's argument with an open ear. Quite the contrary.

Men and women of faith are praised and held in the highest esteem for being steadfast in closing their minds to ideas that might contaminate the dogma.

Here is an example of that:

How do *you* know that God did not appear to each of these people? You can't scientifically disprove that having these differing and conflicting religions was not God's Plan in the first place.