Spray is terrible!

i_like_sun

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Colorimetric, today. Photometric was last Tuesday (% absorbance from an unkown Nickel Complex).

My calculations got jacked becuase I ended up with a 70% water mass in my complex. The empirical formula was perfect....almost - [Ni(en)4 (H2O)34 (SO)4] See something wrong?????? Theres no way theres 34 waters attached to Nickel Ethylenediamine! Theres only space for 6 at a time! WTF?

Colorimetric, today. Photometric was last Tuesday (% absorbance from an unkown Nickel Complex).

My calculations got jacked becuase I ended up with a 70% water mass in my complex. The empirical formula was perfect....almost - [Ni(en)4 (H2O)34 (SO)4] See something wrong?????? Theres no way theres 34 waters attached to Nickel Ethylenediamine! Theres only space for 6 at a time! WTF?

ummm maybe it wasn't attached but rather you had a hydrous form with the extra water trapped in the crystal structure? :nurd:

That could be the case...... it still doesn't make sense though. I put aqueous Nickel Ethylenediamine in a dual exray absorbometer and found the % absorbance of actual nickel to be 0.085. Now thats pretty small, but it just means that it was a very dilute solution...

From a calibration curve I made with 5 standard solutions, I could calculate the actual number of moles I was dealing with. From that, I calculated the mass % of each nickel, water, and sulfate ion. Then, I could come up with the empirical formula...

Its weird, the data and calculations look solid....... just super F*****ed, thats all.

ummm maybe it wasn't attached but rather you had a hydrous form with the extra water trapped in the crystal structure? :nurd:

easily fixed by remodulating the emmiter array to pulse a tacheon beam

That could be the case...... it still doesn't make sense though. I put aqueous Nickel Ethylenediamine in a dual exray absorbometer and found the % absorbance of actual nickel to be 0.085. Now thats pretty small, but it just means that it was a very dilute solution...

From a calibration curve I made with 5 standard solutions, I could calculate the actual number of moles I was dealing with. From that, I calculated the mass % of each nickel, water, and sulfate ion. Then, I could come up with the empirical formula...

Its weird, the data and calculations look solid....... just super F*****ed, thats all.

Do a Karl Fischer titration to find out how much water there is. Dry under mild condition to drive off adsorbed water and repeat your nickel analysis.

When in doubt, blame a pre-med.

Do a Karl Fischer titration to find out how much water there is. Dry under mild condition to drive off adsorbed water and repeat your nickel analysis.

I was totally going to say that.

That post should be subtracted from your total and added to mine.

When in doubt, blame a pre-med.

Yeah, you pretty much CAN blame us pre-medies for everything! For the most part we are just a bunch of assholes trying to fuck each other over so we get the highest GPA possible... For that reason alone I don't trust doctors!

I'm not a super high achieving pre-meddy though.. I'm not even sure my GPA will allow me to get into school. I'm just a massive nerd who likes to suffer, thats all.

Potenticolori-wha?? Now I know why I avoided chemistry. :crazy:

Hey Sherri, yeah, definately a good move on avoiding chem! I think everyone just has their own idea of what is interesting.

I've been avoiding english lit. forever, and dont' plan on changing that..... numbers are just cooler than idiots like us Spray folk rambling.

Drawing and painting are cool though.