Integral Designs Tents

DPS

Does anyone have experience with Integral Designs tents? I am considering purchasing the MK I Lite model, similar to the Bibler I tent. It seems to be exactly what I want; small footprint, light, simple and 100 bucks cheaper than the Bibler. I am interested in hearing opinions on quality and durability, storm worthiness, etc.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a Mk 1 XL. I got the light floor and have some concerns about its durability on anything but snow and moss but no holes yet. I've pitched it on rocky ground and such and it does seem to be tougher than it first appears. As for the external screen, you can get it with the screen inside; that's how I got mine and it's fine. The construction is first rate. It is cut very accurately and sets up very tightly but it is not difficult to set up. I have used it in all seasons and have had no condensation problems. Mine has two vents (one on either side at the peak) and they vent quite well. They seal well in bad conditions too. With the XL, you get a little more length for cramming junk at the foot. The MK 1 regular is apparently too short for anyone over 5'7" or so. I am very satisfied with the tent and recommend it highly. I just couldn't see paying the price of a Bibler.

I've had mine for about a year and so far have broken a pole and put two small holes in the wall. The light floor is fine. I'm 6'4" and just barely fit into the XL. The pole broke while I was setting it up in a storm with ~30 mph winds, however, I've ridden out some nasty storms with it set up and never had problems. The corner seams have to be seam sealed or it will leak in a down-pour. The floor material seems to be bomb proof the side walls are much less so. Using the stuff sack to protect it in the pack seems to be a necessity. In general it's a good tent once set up, but you have to baby it in the interm. I bought it because it was cheaper than the Bibler and my Integral Designs bivy sack has never let me down.

Integral designs and Bibler used to be the same company. The material in the walls is identical and ID has the use of it in Canada, they developed it together. The workmanship on both is excellent. ID is only less expensive because of low marketing and strong U.S. dollar. From the mouth of a Black Diamond (Bibler) and Integral Designs representive.

i have the 3# 12 oz version- what is it called?

i think you should be sure to get guy lines on the side walls, mine did not come with them.also, there is no awning over the door, so if you crack the door at the top to vent, snow will come in. you could make a little awning, though.

i like the tent alot, but haven't used it in winter yet.

[ 11-04-2001: Message edited by: scott ]

quote:

Originally posted by Cracked Egg:
Integral designs and Bibler used to be the same company. The material in the walls is identical and ID has the use of it in Canada, they developed it together. The workmanship on both is excellent. ID is only less expensive because of low marketing and strong U.S. dollar. From the mouth of a Black Diamond (Bibler) and Integral Designs representive.

BUT.... BUT.... The ID material is called TegralTex and the Bibler material is ToddTex???? confused.gif" border="0confused.gif" border="0confused.gif" border="0tongue.gif" border="0

• 2 weeks later...

I've had a Mk3 for about 7 years now. Has held up well. ventilates well (we got the 2nd door) in just about all conditions. I'd avoid the heavy-duty floor next time; really adds weight and - worse - packed size. As noted by someone else, get the extra guyout points and the door awning options. I'd buy another one. Maybe a smaller one next time....