Climbing Studs

archenemy

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

...it is true that by in large women have better foot work then men do out of neccesity. we are less likely to be able to muscle our way up something so we work it out with the strongest part of our body, our legs. ....

such a misconception...

you can take that up with Lynn Hill then cus thats who i learned it form :P

general statement. this might be true comparing a beginner male to a beginner female.

Definitely a general statement. But given a man and a woman climbing at the same maximum grade, I have yet to see man who relies more heavily on technique and efficiency than his female counterpart, and I have yet to see a woman who relies as heavily on strength and power as her male counterpart.

ummm...i can point to quite a few women who have significantly higher relative strength to their weight than men...

You obviously haven't observed very much high end climbing or bouldering...

So can I. There are lots of chicks who are much stronger than many guys who climb. Comparing me to a girl who boulders V6 and climbs 5.12 is comparing apples and cumquats.

Taking two people at the same grade levels the field though. How many girls do you know who climb at the same level as you do, and who are stronger but have worse technique?

...it is true that by in large women have better foot work then men do out of neccesity. we are less likely to be able to muscle our way up something so we work it out with the strongest part of our body, our legs. ....

such a misconception...

you can take that up with Lynn Hill then cus thats who i learned it form :P

general statement. this might be true comparing a beginner male to a beginner female.

Definitely a general statement. But given a man and a woman climbing at the same maximum grade, I have yet to see man who relies more heavily on technique and efficiency than his female counterpart, and I have yet to see a woman who relies as heavily on strength and power as her male counterpart.

ummm...i can point to quite a few women who have significantly higher relative strength to their weight than men...

You obviously haven't observed very much high end climbing or bouldering...

So can I. There are lots of chicks who are much stronger than many guys who climb. Comparing me to a girl who boulders V6 and climbs 5.12 is comparing apples and cumquats.

Taking two people at the same grade levels the field though. How many girls do you know who climb at the same level as you do, and who are stronger but have worse technique?

that's what i'm saying...i'm relatively weak for the grade i climb at....most women who climb at the same level as me are comparatively stronger and lighter than i am...

i've been told that I climb like a girl b/c I'm shorter and weak so I use my feet/tech a lot to get up harder routes/problems. Eric8 said he can't tell the difference between me climbing a 5.8 and a 5.10 because I'm always doing goofy-ass shit with my feet (lots of hand-foot matches and the like).

I have.

Climbed with Boobie Boobswoman a lot in thailand and one day she was thugging thru this 13whatever and this d00d from New Mexico, Jean Delafrogsomething, came over and flat styled that route with his baggy ass old lady arms and impeccable footwork/body position.

Pretty f'n eyeopening, sorta like the beachfall I took from the 4th bolt later that day.

good point...is June gonna be too hot???

most likely yes, unless your idea of boldering is 5am alpine starts.

that being said, there's tons of rock that would be in the shade but it'd be like going to vantage and only climbing the feathers.

only not as ghey.

nah, I think it's a compliment. Much better to hike a route in style than have your feet cutting all the time and pretending to be in a pull-up contest.

But then you don't look as cool when you record your awesome gym sends and put them up on teh interwebs. Sick dood!

Or should I be saying dudette?

I plan on using that quote one day and have just filed it away for that perfect moment when im just about to get shut down by two smokin hot lesbians..."really you guys are a couple thats funny cause one of my girlfriends"

says I'm one of the finest lesbians she's known.

thanks for that