xgk

titsmack

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

from twight's book, page 188:

"Today I use an MSR stove that burns white gas. I use it in a tent. I hold it on my lap. I constructed a hanging system for it..."

I can't figure out what he means.

[This message has been edited by titsmack (edited 06-07-2001).]

smack

XGK inside a Bibler would have to hang a half-inch off the floor (where it gets in the way) to not burn the tent up immediately. If you get the thing running, that tent would overheat big-time in a hurry unless it was VERY cold and the door was wide open. I use a hanging Markill (cartridge), something with far less BTU output than the XGK, inside my Bibler, and despite its well-thoughtout design and compactness, it still requires a bit of care when working inside the tent.

You shouldnt need anything more than a Markill inside a Bibler in the Cascades. Jim Nelson sells them, they are a good stove. Bibler also makes a good hanging stove, but they are not as compact or as light as the Markill..

Hope it all works out..

Cheers, Alex

[This message has been edited by Alex (edited 06-07-2001).]

It was a rainy blustery night in Boston Basin. Phil and I were preparing to hunkerdown in his VE25, after a soggy approach to what would prove to be yet another fruitless attempt on Forbidden. After arranging things, Phil opened the door and lit the XGK in the vestibule. The thing flared up a bit, but not enough to do much more than a minor singe. What I remember most is the stench from the incomplete burning of the white gas during the priming phase. It was enough to gag a maggot and stayed with us until we piled out into 6 inches of new snow the next morning.

OK. I fess up. I have used an XGK in a Bibler. We didn't hang it we placed in on a large flat rock we placed on the tent floor on a sleeping mat. The tent didn't overheat, we had the door partially open to stop CO buildup. It was pretty damn windy outside (hence cooking in the tent) so ventilation wasn't a problem.

In most circumstances I cook in the vestibule of tents with an XGK. Never had any problems with this.

Obviously (great) care is advised in both th scenarios.

Ade

titsmack (interesting..)

I've taken an old cookpot and cut holes in the sides near the bottom for the fuel line and for air flow, then more holes (smaller) near the top to attach thin wire to hang the pot. Place the stove inside the pot and attach the fuel line and stand back. It's actually too heavy and kind of a pain in the ass.

The old 1/8" thick plywood by 8" or so diameter with 3 small squares of blue foam glued to the bottom works great and weighs squat. I almost always cook inside the bivy tent these days. (Getting old & soft I suppose...)

Have a blast!

Mark

[This message has been edited by Marko (edited 06-11-2001).]

Marko... How does this work with an XGK? The real problem is that it's fuel bottle makes the whole thing lopsided. I thought you might be able to bend the bottle to hang under the stove but suspect that this would be hard to do and effect the fuel flow. Are you doing this with an XGK?

Definitely agree on the plywood idea. I take a couple of cork coffee coasters (glued together) to stop my XGK sinking into the snow.

i have seen a picture of someone using a hanging system with the xgk. i think it was in a wildthings catalog- it was of joe terrevechia on the moonflower. he was not in a tent, however. i haven't found the picture again- then again i haven't looked. its around here somewhere...

Megamid - Not really a mountain tent though is it?

On balance I think a hanging XGK is a bit much. You'd be better off with a hanging stove, modified for cold weather with a copper heat conductor and insulated fuel can. And as Alex pointed out you wouldn't really need that for most Cascade climbing.

Ade,

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention another bit of wire to wrap around the fuel bottle and hang it also. The whole thing tilts a bit until you put a pot full of snow on the stove.

It's great, the tent gets nice and toasty and you get to dry gear!

If you want to cook inside your tent with an XKG I suggest you look into buying a Black Diamond Megamid tent, or some varion there of. Floorless tents are THE way to go for cooking inside. You are less likely to burn anything and they are easily ventilated. The combination of these two items are perfect for traveling overseas and/or trekking in remote places where clean fuel is not always available and hostels or trekkers huts can be elusive. The XKG is a blow torch and should be treated as such. It's a great product, but it may just bite you back if you try to use it where it's not intended to be used.

titsmack-

if you are intent on using any white gas stove inside a tent preheat it outside and let it "pull up" to full pressurization, THEN haul the thing into your vestibule or clip it in if it's a hanger. A way to try hanging an XGK would be to buy a full frame aluminum stove stand(one that cradles both the stove and bottle) , the folders won't work. Get some wire and crimps and make a suspension for it. A wire "daisy chain" would be a great way to build height adaptability into the system. Hope this can be of some help.

I wish I had seen that last one last week. The vent screens are now melted out of my Walrus' vestublule. I generally don't run the stove inside anything but, it was pretty nasty outside. Oh well, it was exciting for sure and got everybody moving quick!

• 3 weeks later...

Two more suggestions. First, go to the Climbing magazine website, and wander around in the "how to" articles. Sometime in the past couple years they had some information on making a hanging stove setup for the X G/K. Second, there's an old John Barry book called "Alpine Climbing", one of those how-to books that you already know most of anyway. However, in the Equipment chapter he has a photo of a homemade X G/K hanging setup, along with a brief description.

Good luck. We'll all be interested to hear how your Bibler survives this experiment.