Art : Protest or Threat?

Stonehead

An Alameda artist got a surprise visit from the U.S. Secret Service last week for displaying artwork some people thought was threatening to the president.

http://www.nbc11.com/news/11148845/detail.html

The display prompted at least three people to complain, Hernandez reported.

Jeff Segurson said he was so disturbed, he called the police.

"I don't think he's a threat to the president, but I don't think it's the best thing for this to be out here with the knife and the F-word and the blood all over the president. I don't think it's that respectful," Segurson said.

McDonald said the art is in no way meant to threaten the president, but to get people thinking about Bush's policies and the war in Iraq.

"We're not outraged about that, but we're outraged about a simple knife stuck in a cardboard figure and saying, 'Oh no he's the president, he's the president.' No, he's not. He's just a cardboard figure that I used as a representation of something," McDonald said.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Would that be considered a 'hate' crime?

Cardboard figures everywhere need to be protected.

Uh, no. I meant if the artist were attacked. As I understand it, a hate crime comes under three categories: racial, sexual orientation, and religious affliation. Or you could group those into genetic or behaviorial. So, would being attacked for political orientation be considered a hate crime?

Why not?

An Alameda artist got a surprise visit from the U.S. Secret Service last week for displaying artwork some people thought was threatening to the president.

http://www.nbc11.com/news/11148845/detail.html

"We're not outraged about that, but we're outraged about a simple knife stuck in a cardboard figure and saying, 'Oh no he's the president, he's the president.' No, he's not. He's just a cardboard figure that I used as a representation of something," McDonald said.

And they are un-outraged by the fact that an American feels he needs to use an excuse to protect himself? What have we come to?