Helmet review

Paul_C

bd helmet is pretty nice- though you are right about the headlamp attachment points. when i was first looking at the helmet in a large super store that specalizes in expensive car camping with a weird shaped altar to plastic, i accidently broke it off. so careful, since this was not broke in a live action sequence. oyu might die! rolleyes.gif

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love the Camp StarTech. Very light yet feels reasonably protective. The BD weighs a lot, doesn't it? The light clips on the Camp aren't great, but if you have a small headlamp (such as a Petzl Tikka), just wear the helmet over the headlamp strap. It worked fine when I did this recently.

That's my two cents.

John Sharp

I'd have to agree with MrGoodTime. The CAMP StarTech is the way to go.

I have the BD HalfDome. The headlamp clips seem fine to me but after a while the chin strap and headband can become kind of uncomfortable. I think comfort is the most important (aside from safety, but that's why you're wearing one in the first place, right? And all helmets have to meet UIAA standards). So, if it's not comfortable, you'll be far less inclined to wear it. In my opinion (or maybe just my headsizd) the StarTech is the most plush. However, the headlamp clips on it are probably the flimiest. It's lightweight which is good, too. But that isn't the primary concern since most helmets don't differ in weight more than a couple of ounces. It could be the lightest helmet on the market, but, again, if it's not comfortable you won't wear it - or maybe you will and just curse it all day long.

The only other thing I can think of that you might want to consider is how many times to you expect it to take blows (i.e. rockfall not collision). I'm not too sure of the technicalities on this, so someone correct me if I'm way off... Hard plastic helmets that absorb impact via head straps can sustain repeated blows, but foam helmets can be worthless after one significant blow (since the material crushes to absorb the impact rendering it useless).

Jman;

You are correct about the difference between foam and hard shell helmets.

Yeah I guess my question was if getting a Petzl was a better choice due to the better (at least I think) headlamp clip system. They do have quite the range of types as well. Although no one here seems to have an opinion on them.

Paul

i second fredrogers. the ecrin roc is definatly something to consider. the headlight clips are encrediably(sp) durable, it is light and is totally protective and wont fail. i urge you strongly to consider it try it on in the store it is also queit comfortable.

the only down side is that it is kinda big on your head i.e. in chimmeys it can get annoying, but other than that it is an awsome helmet that has saved me from grapefruit sized rocks.

Aidan

[This message has been edited by highclimb (edited 03-30-2001).]

Hey all;

Quick question for y'all. I'm going to get a helmet in the next couple of weeks and am wondering what you guys think of what is out there. I'm up in YVR so probably will get something at MEC. Main brands there are BD, Petzl and Camp.

Right now I am leaning towards the BD Half Dome, but am a little concerned that the headlamp attachment may not be that secure. Now this is not as much of a big deal right now as most of my climbing doesn't involve night climbing or bivy's. But you need to think these things ahead right..

Thanks for the input

Paul

About 25 years ago I had a Joe Brown Super helmet save my life. I took a direct hit by a softball from space. Joe Brown replaced it and I have used it infrequently since. I am a hemet believer who almost never wore a helmet while rock climbing. Helmets that are heavy, uncomfortable or obstruct your view won't get worn as much because they reduce your performance. Through the years I have tried on most of the helmets that have come out and climbed in a few of them. None of them seemed like a major improvement over the Joe Brown Super until the new Kong Scarab. It is super light, and really comfortable. I did a sport route in it yesterday just to see if it would anoy me. I forgot it was on. In my opinion this is one hell of a good helmet. Being foam it might only take one significant blow, having been through this situation, one significant blow is all it needs to take.

The Petzl Ecrin Roc is noticeably heavier than all the others and, in spite of the fancy adjustment system, it doesn't fit my head as well as the Edelrid Ultra-Light does. Get the lightest hard shell helmet that clings firmly to your peculiar head and won't get knocked out of position too easily.

The problem I had with the Ecrin is that it sits up kinda high and I have a small head. So it has a tendancy to tilt to one side, especially with a headlamp unless I was wearing my balaclava. I have the Half Dome on the way as it has a lower profile so it should not be so top heavy. Should fit under hood better also.

If you decide on the Camp Startech or Petzl Erin Roc, check out Mountain Equipment Co-op in Vancouver. They have 'em for pretty cheap. $75 Can ($47.63 US) and $90 Can ($57.15 US) respectively. However, the cost in gas may not be worth the trip and they don't ship climbing products outside of Canada.

Here's their link: http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_listing.jsp?FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2009

Jman,

I happen to live 5 mins from MEC. So no worries about the gas. If you all need to get something then I am not opposed to either picking it up or you can get it sent here and I will sent it down to you. I don't know if anyone will take this offer up or not, but I know that there are things that they don't ship to the US.

Let me know if you are interested or if not then no worries.

Paul