Are you ready for the 4.5 oz ICE AXE!!!

OlympicMtnBoy

Random websurfing while taking a break from my thesis just found this. Check it out: 4.5 oz ice axe. Of course they call it a "potty trowel" on the manufacturers web site here . 128 grams of aluminum and carbon fiber for the 55cm version.

Somebody order one of these things and tell me how hard it is to snap. My CAMP aluminum axe is weighing me down at 8.6 oz. ;-) Just don't bring one along if we're gonna be roped up.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like the warning that comes on the page. sounds like it is bad to use the axe for anything that it should be meant for. I guess piolet canne is ok. But don't self arrest with it!

WARNING: THE HELIX IS NOT CERTIFIED BY ANY RECOGNIZED MOUNTAINEERING SAFETY ORGANIZATION TO MEET ANY LEVEL OF MINIMUM SAFETY STANDARDS. USING THIS TOOL FOR THE FOLLOWING TECHNIQUES MAY RESULT IN ITS FAILURE WHICH MAY CAUSE SERIOUS INJURY OR DEATH: ICE AXE ARREST, BOOT AXE BELAYS, PLUNGED SHAFT BELAY/ARREST, PIOLET PANNE, PIOLET POIGNARD, PIOLET ANCRE, PIOLET TRACTION, DRY TOOLING, OR OTHER TECHNIQUES BEST SUITED FOR B- OR T-RATED ICE TOOLS.

elsewhere...

Q: The Helix Potty Trowel has a striking resemblance to an ice axe. Have you considered using it as an ice axe?

A: Hmmm. Wow. Now that you mention it, it does kind of look like an ice axe. I've heard that a number of thru-hiker's have been using the Potty Trowels on the PCT and CDT as a non-technical ice axe for glissading, basic slope safety, and the occasional self-arrest. You certainly have to admire the weight conscious, muli-use philosophy employed by these intrepid hikers!

funny.

I've seen these while thru hiking the PCT last year. I ended up carrying a rated axe (Camp XLA 210), but, had I been a total gram fanatic, I could easily have chosen to carry this axe (um, 'cat hole digger') instead.

The intended user of this 'cat hole digger' is the ultra-light backpacker / thru hiker of the PCT / CDT who would otherwise go without any type of self arrest aid.

As was pointed out by an experienced mountianeering type at the PCT kick off in April of '06 while talking about ice axes and self arrest, this is not a true ice axe. He also pointed out (rightly) that it's better than nothing if the shit hits the fan and you fall while traversing the steep snow fields on Glen Pass (as I did - glad I had my Camp, but I would have been happy to have one of these over nothing) or on Mather Pass. Remember, the intended user of this is someone who'd carry nothing as an alternative.

The other choice for the gram weenie who wants some arrest aid is a whippet - I only saw one person with those. Probably no better than this ULA device.

Regarding the strength - it's quite robust for the weight. The shaft is pretty thick walled hence it's quite rigid - far more rigid and much thicker walled that the carbon fiber trekking poles I used (and broke) last year.

As far as cutting steps - understand that ultra-light thru hiker types wear running shoes. Kind of hard to kick steps in firm /slightly frozen snow early in the morning heading up and over the passes. This thing would be adequate to chop into that - I wouldn't want to try and cut into anything more. Also, you're mostly following in established tracks, so usually, you might only have to 'clean up' the foot prints with a bit of light chopping. And, to repeat, it's better than what would be carried otherwise - nothing.

Heck, cutting the few steps I did with my Camp was a royal bitch - no mass behind it, but it was adequate to get the job done, which is all I needed. This ULA 'cat hole digger' is as well.

• 4 weeks later...

I've used the Helix both in prototype and production versions in general alpine settings, but never where my life was going to depend on it. If you're in the mountains on moderate terrain and basically just need it for self belay, it works just fine. Forget about cutting steps, this takes forever (even longer than with the CAMP XLA 210). With the prototype version, I was able to jam the spike up into the shaft after about 3 weeks in the Montana Rockies. I'm happy to take the axe along on hiking-style trips, but I leave it at home if it has to see greater duty than self belay.