Pitbulls

Seahawks

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know if it's just cuz everyone jumps in on the pitbull stories, but there's a lot of them.

Another is a girl hanging out on couch with her pet pitbull, owned since puppy. pitbull has a violent spasm, ripping up her face, biting her lip off. 10 secs later pitbull acts totally normal as if nothing happened.

It's nothing personal with these dogs; it just seems as though selective breeding has encoded some violent surprises into the breed. and from what i've read, there are breeds more prone to biting, but with pitbulls the damage is severe because of their aggressiveness and jaw structure.

Re: guns vs. dogs. Every analogy has its flaws. They're all limited. That doesn't necessarily make their users idiots.

Also, fine, excellent demonstration of google skillz to dogpile the thread with nasty pit stories. I just found an equal number of stories in two seconds for Rottweilers, but I don't hear as much about them. But what's the normalized rate of attacks for pit bulls vs. other dogs? Does anyone have any reliable statistics?

I found this.

http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview?id=139659

Golden and Labrador Retrievers have a reputation for being friendly

and good-natured. The high number of bites is because they are very

common. The Dutch survey found that for Rottweilers and Bull Terriers,

the chances of biting are seven and six times higher respectively than

for other pedigree breeds."

Now how skewed is the sample by a possibly more retarded owner population for the bully breeds?

February 3, 2007 - Toledo mother arrested after boy's foot gnawed by pit bull

TOLEDO, Ohio (AP) - Police have arrested the mother of a four-year-old boy whose foot was amputated after it was mauled by the family's pit bull puppy.

Twenty-three-year-old Martina Jennings, of Toledo, is in the Lucas County jail on a felony charge of child endangering. Her bond was set at $5,000.

Jennings took her son to Toledo Hospital yesterday because his foot was bleeding and told authorities she saw blood on the dog's face and chest. Doctors amputated the foot.

The four-month-old dog was destroyed.

Lucas County Dog Warden Tom Skeldon says the boy has no feeling below the waist because of spina bifida, so he did not know the dog was biting him.

Skeldon says it would have taken the puppy a long time to cause so much damage with its immature teeth.

TOLEDO, Ohio (AP) - Police have arrested the mother of a four-year-old boy whose foot was amputated after it was mauled by the family's pit bull puppy.

Twenty-three-year-old Martina Jennings, of Toledo, is in the Lucas County jail on a felony charge of child endangering. Her bond was set at $5,000.

Jennings took her son to Toledo Hospital yesterday because his foot was bleeding and told authorities she saw blood on the dog's face and chest. Doctors amputated the foot.

Lucas County Dog Warden Tom Skeldon says the boy has no feeling below the waist because of spina bifida, so he did not know the dog was biting him.

Skeldon says it would have taken the puppy a long time to cause so much damage with its immature teeth.

These people blamed it on a pet ferret they owned .I read this too ...but with either pet,its a terrible thing for that child to have suffered thru..

These people blamed it on a pet ferret they owned .I read this too ...but with either pet,its a terrible thing for that child to have suffered thru..

I'd blame this on the parents too. idiots. Kids got Spina bifida and now got one less leg for life. Darwin award for these parents. Maybe they think he will grow another one.

I found this.

http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview?id=139659

Golden and Labrador Retrievers have a reputation for being friendly

and good-natured. The high number of bites is because they are very

common. The Dutch survey found that for Rottweilers and Bull Terriers,

the chances of biting are seven and six times higher respectively than

for other pedigree breeds."

Now how skewed is the sample by a possibly more retarded owner population for the bully breeds?

It's tough to get an answer when you are unsatisfied with anecdotal evidence and demand numbers. Then you get numbers and are unsatisfied with the test method. Then redirect the blame to the owners and away from the dogs. Face it, pits do damage. They are great dogs, beautiful and strong. But they are dangerous and have been the topic of this very conversation for more than 18 years (which is back when I started breeding them). Sure, some of it is the owners. Some of it is the breed. Some of it is just bad luck. But demanding a formal study or some kind of defensible statistics on how dangerous pits are is really unnecessary I think. In my mind, it is just more productive to warn people away from owning a pit unless they are experienced and educated about the breed.

Mind you, I do the same with my doxies--they are tough to housetrain and to socialize. But they won't kill anyone, they'll just ruin your favorite peice of furniture.

In my mind, it is just more productive to warn people away from owning a pit unless they are experienced and educated about the breed.

I agree with that completely. I wasn't trying to convince anyone to get a pit. I just get tired of seeing them portrayed as monsters, unpredictable monsters, monsters ready to snap at any moment on their loving masters.

The one real difference between many of these breeds and pits is how powerful their jaws are.

Whatever, I'm done with it.

She doesn't approve the way they were killed, Well boo f'ing Boo.

Vicious dog attack ends with gun fire

10:18 PM PST on Thursday, February 8, 2007

PUYALLUP, Wash. – A pit bull attack left two people hurt and a pet on the verge of death.

Kevin Mandt and his beagle Rigel were attacked by two dogs in a Puyallup neighborhood.

It took place in Puyallup where residents are on edge after the second recent dog attack in that neighborhood.

Kevin Mandt was walking his 3-year-old beagle Rigel in his Puyallup neighborhood Sunday when they were attacked by two dogs – a pit bull and an American bulldog.

"They came out of the bushes to attack and they attacked instantly," he said.

Kevin tried to pull the attacking dogs off Rigel. He hit one dog with this iron wheel bending it out of shape. Unfazed, one of the attacking dogs still bit him in the arm and then continued the attack on Rigel.

"The way that they attacked one was on his head and neck and the other was on his hindquarters," he said.

A teenaged neighbor tried to help and he was bitten several times.

"After a short period of time he decided to go home and get his gun, and as soon as he showed up the dog attacked," he continued.

The teen shot and killed both dogs.

"I have a six-foot fence with electrical line behind it and they were on chains when I left the home. I don't know how they got out," said the dogs' owner, Jessica Kealy.

Jessica says she's sorry, but is very upset that her dogs were shot.

"I appreciate the fact that the people were able to stop what was going on. I just don't approve in the way they did it," she said.

Rigel is expected to make a full recovery.

No charges have been filed in this case. Animal Control is investigating.