Useful thing you can learn on the Interwebs

olyclimber

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually, it's not true.

The metal in a penny is worth less than a penny.

But the labour costs to make a penny put the cost of each penny over 1 cent.

And since coining money is a matter of national sovereignity, they can't outsource penny minting to somewhere with cheap labour.

Mmmmmm minty fresh pennies.

Whut ah can figguh auht iz whah dey can make uh decen lookin dolluh coin. Fuhst dey wuz Eizenhowuh, n his haid look lahk somebody's big toe witha hang nail. Den dey's da Susan B. She look lahk she'd jus as soon vote to rip yo dick off. Now dey's Sack o Jew Weed o whutevuh dat injun bitch's name wuz dat brought da white folk ovuh to da wes coas so dey could fuck it all up. Ah mean, I jis lookin fo a decen lookin dolluh, thas all. Put anything on it; Paula Abdul's fat ass, haill, I don care, jis somethin Ah don hafta worry bout jinglin round in mah pockets.

They should just get rid of pennies and round all coin transactions up to the nearest nickel.

yes! all the 'developing' countries i have been to do this standard. you sometimes have to buy things '3 for a [monetary unit]' instead of being able to buy just one, so they don't have to deal with worthless units of currency. pennies are so lame. some countries I have been to essentially roung to the nearest dime or larger. and this is in countries where smaller amounts of money are more valuable. why can't we do this in the US? [well, because businesses can make a lot of money by nickeling and diming us (but not penny-ing?). It adds up] whatever

you remember back in the 80s, when computers just came in, how bank employees made fortunes transferring all the fractions of rounded off cents, into their own accounts?

well if you get rid of the penny, retailers are gonna make 5 times that much money.

besides money is going digital. few people use paper/coins anymore anyway. and a debit card doesn't need to round off to nearest nickel.

you guys should get with the program and make your low-denomination bills into coins BTW. like the civilized world does. :wave: