Mt. Index

sexual_chocolate

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Could enough now but the condition of the crux pitches is anyone's guess. It's supposed to warm up a fair at the weekend. I'd be concerned about getting in a 2000' high couloir with half a foot of new show in it - if you assume that Index got about the same as Stevens on Wednesday night.

all the wannabe hardmen and women know that fresh snow + no warm period = lots and lots and lots of unconsolidated snow to wade through...

...hopefully some gumby punters will take the carrot and install a bootpack on Big 4 and Index so next weekend when everything has settled out the wannabe hardmen can send with ease...

Forgive me. You seem a little confused...

all the wannabe hardmen and women know that fresh snow + no warm period = lots and lots and lots of unconsolidated snow to wade through...

...hopefully some gumby punters will take the carrot and install a bootpack on Big 4 and Index so next weekend when everything has settled out the wannabe hardmen can send with ease...

Big 4 or Colchuck!?!?!?

Which one to choose? They both sound like a great idea! Check your PMs Justin!

The forecast says it's not going to get much above 20 during the day and will be around 10 in Index tonight.

You saying that isn't so?

No where near that cold in Index. only down to 7 here at the pass overnite.

The main issue is the clear skies. Index sorta constantly flushes when it's like that. An overcast combined with cold temps makes things a lot safer.

So Stuart and I were in there today. Half a foot of soft fluff on top of an unconsolidated base. By the time we reached the base of the west face it was postholing when out of the trees. The base just hadn't consolidated enough. Lots of wallowing basically. It was pretty cold lots of ice drips had formed but quite a bit of running water too - more than whe we climbed the face last year.

What we could see of the upper pitches of the EDM and Murphy's Law - a long way away at the base. Neither looked like they formed continuous lines, although the very top of the EDM was hidden. Several of the top pitches of ML looked like bare rock.

I think we need some more warm cycles and wet snow to fall and then another cold snap to bring things into condition on the west face at least.

So Stuart and I were in there today. Half a foot of soft fluff on top of an unconsolidated base. By the time we reached the base of the west face it was postholing when out of the trees. The base just hadn't consolidated enough. Lots of wallowing basically.

I think we need some more warm cycles and wet snow to fall and then another cold snap to bring things into condition on the west face at least.

ahem... ahem...

Guess they don't teach cascade snow condition analysis at crossfit ;)

Thanks for the bootpack!

You seem to have the knack of hitting Index when the conditions aren't so great. There are plenty of other albeit less obvious options all around the area. If you just want the guidebook tick I’ll keep my fingers crossed for better conditions but if your enthused about the area go exploring.

What makes you so sure he was going for a route in the guidebook?