Opinions on light tents for extreme conditions?

khh

I'm looking for a light tent to take backpacking. It needs to be able to handle a lot of rain (i.e. it must be waterproof) and possibly snow (i.e. it needs to be strong and durable). I recently found a site, www.lightisright.com, which offers very light tents for extreme conditions. Anyone have any experience with this brand? Or, heard anything about them? Also, any other suggestions on a good light tent? Thanks!

Edited by khh

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Go with a Bibler you cant go wrong. Light & bombproof. Single wall and totally waterproof. I got an Eldo double door and its sweet. Had it in high wind and snow on Adams, no worries. Also lots of rain on a couple a trips no leaks. Great tents. Another even lighter option is the BD tents like the Lighthouse. They are designed like a Bib' but use a lighter albiet less waterproof fabric. Goods tents 2.

Don't know if the bibler would be overkill. You said for backpacking and maybe some snow. This doesn't sound like "full conditions mountaineering" so maybe something a little less bombproof might work for ya.

Many tents are pretty water tight these days (just do a little research) and you could probably save quite a bit of $$$ by not just going with a full-on climbing tent.

If you want something that's going to be dry, just look for a bathtub floor design and a full fly. If you are out backpacking in warmer conditions (I assume you aren't going to be exclusively in shit conditions, are you?) then you will like the flexibility of a removable fly.

Guess it would help if you said what types of trips you were doing.

I have a North Face Tadpole I use for backpacking. Very sturdy, has been good in rain and snow storms, and fairly light. It is a small tent, suitable for two people in slightly cramped quarters. Weighs 4+ lbs. They (TNF) also make similar models slightly larger and heavier. You can also pitch the 'footprint' ground tarp with the poles and fly (leaving home the tent body) for a lighter, more tarp-like option.

I find the above tent to be good, but of course you can go much lighter, by foregoing features like double-wall and free-standing. I have heard good things about the MSR Missing Link. The tents at Light Is Right look like good options. YOu can get a 2 person loop tent in their 'EXpedition' series that weighs 2.5 lbs. They don't look freestanding and they seem pricey. The design doesn't look revolutionary in any way.

I never used these tents or warmlite tents. I would for the

same price choose the stephenson's warmlite tent. They are

the first to make this style (as far as I know) and also the

warmlite tents are made in the USA, all for about the same price. I hate it when they use slave labor and make the extra

profit on such goods. I don't know where "Light is Right" is made?

A cheaper alternative is the Big agnes seedhouse SL. Not quite

as light but a sturdy little tent and free standing. It is good

for mild mountaineering conditions. I have experience with this

tent and consider it a good value for the money.

Dan

I had a very light double wall tent made by MEC, tarn 2 I believe. Put it through lots of hard weather, way more than a backpacking tent should have put up with. If the tent could talk, it would have bitched me out for tormenting it with snow loading, very hard above tree line winds, 4 day noah flooding rains.

I believe it was sub 5 pounds and around couple hundred bucks, maybe less. I would say that this tent would do you well.

DOn't know if a completely waterproof tent can really be any lighter. BTW, I would seam seal all seams on the fly, even if it is taped.