Ice in the gorge?

cycling_mike

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was down there a couple days ago. You can drive down the Cape Horn RD? Its the first road on the right (heading east) immediately after the upper tier climbs. However, there is a sign posted that says parking anywhere on this road is high discouraged (whatever that means). Probably the best strategy is to park further back and just walk along the rails like the guidebook indicates, might be a bit of a walk though.

Some land was donated to create a trail through this area. The stipulation with the donation of that land is that the owners requested that people do not park down Cape Horn Road and instead park at the trailhead at the Salmon Falls/HWY 14 intersection and walk the cape horn road.

Mr_D

• 3 weeks later...

Just drove back from Tri-Cities and there is a lot of ice around Ainsworth. There is a line to the right (west) of the main Ainsworth lines that is fully connected and "looked to be in" and about 3 pitches long. Sorry Glassgow if I offend you with this comment on being "in". Maybe I should clarify: I would go check it out with tools and gear if I had the day off tomorrow morning.

There are also lines on the east side of the Ainsworth face that I have never even remotely seen come in like they are. The main lines of Ainsworth are not fully connected. Mist is in on the lower right, but would be pretty wet underneath, and there are a few other long lines past Biggs that might be climbable. There may be something "in" to the right of Mist as well, but hard to tell from the distance.

Wish I could go out again this weekend, but got the Hall Pass the last three weekends in a row.....

Caveat: I could not tell how thick the ice was, but the ice around Ainsworth was white and not opaque if that helps....