General Motors- help

Jens

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I work in a place where everyone drives a truck-- either ford chevy or dodge. They all suck IMHO.

My gf says FORD stands for f*%Ked over rebuilt dodge-- I'm sure you've heard it.

Personally, I've never owned an American car and I don't think I will. They are terrible cars. Toyota makes the most reliable cars on the road. I have 150,000 miles on my Nissan and it's still going strong. I love the ubiquitous Subaru, maybe it's the perfect car for the PNW with decent mileage, AWD and decent room.

The only thing I don't like about Subarus is that everyone has one. I read an article about America's "lock step individualism." Basically, we all want to be unique individuals, but we all have the same taste. It's the restoration hardwear phenomenon.

AlpineK might be right that diesel is a good way to go, but VW makes an unreliable car that's expensive to maintain. Fun to drive, but poor qulaity. I've heard all TDIs are made in Germany and are better, but I'm not a believer.

I'm thinking about making my Pathfinder into a mountain car and buying a commuter car, but it seems so completely over the top wasteful to have two cars. Still, there aren't many Priuses in the ski area parking lot and I love the 4WD in the snow.

I believe it is time to spend government money on developing energy saving technologies to reduce our national dependence on oil. I want to buy a well built pick up or SUV that gets 50+ mpg or a compact car that gets 100+ mpg.

I say we should all thank Toyota for giving a wakeup call to the big three. Maybe an American car manufacturer will finally make something decent.

The only thing I don't like about Subarus is that everyone has one. I read an article about America's "lock step individualism." Basically, we all want to be unique individuals, but we all have the same taste. It's the restoration hardwear phenomenon.

Maybe you should separate your sense of individuality from what you drive. Otherwise, you limit yourself to either a) Driving a piece of shit that no one else wants to own for "individuality's" sake, or b) Driving what everyone else drives because it's a good vehicle.

The only thing I don't like about Subarus is that everyone has one.

This is really the only reason you don’t like them? You suck. My wife and I both have owned Subaru’s and they are like tanks! They go everywhere. The only reason we choose different cars this time around is because the new Sub’s cost too much.

Thanks for that link. Good to know which vehicles to avoid buying. May have to go for the FJ Cruiser instead of the Tacoma when the time comes to replace the current Toyota Pickup in a few years.

That's some rational economic thought right there. When you fly you avoid Southwest (among the most unionized of airlines) because they have such a bad product, right?

I, for one, am glad GM executives were so well compensated for handing lavish packages to the union workers. It's like the board and stockholders thought the ones in charge were doing a good job.

It's not so much about supporting the UAW, which I'll avoid if at all possible. I think that unionized American workers make poor quality vehicles. I'd never buy a domestic truck for that very reason. This has been the case for at least the past 40+ years, and I don't imagine that this will change anytime soon. Why is this the case? Who knows? Who cares - not me, and evidently, not them.

For whatever reason, perhaps it's the jumping-jacks in the blue suits or being ritually shamed in front of their team-members for every error or something, this is not the case for automobiles coming out of Japan. All things being equal, I think that either Japanese workers - unionized or not - or non-unionized American workers are more likely to turn out a quality vehicle. If it's impossible to find a truck that fits the bill, I'll buy something else. The main reason why I bought a Pickup instead of a 4Runner in the first place was that my I wanted to buy a Toyota engine, chassis, drive-train, suspension, clearance, etc with the cheapest possible wrapping around it. Next time I might be able to swing a wrapper with a few more frills, like a couple more doors and an extra row of seats.

Bobo's aren't all bad. Whenever I've been to a dinner party at a Bobo's house, they've had good food there, and so long as I put on a scopalamine patch a few hours before hand I manage not to puke when I have to listen to them wax poetic about the qualities of the wild siberian hummus or the Tunisian slate countertop or any other of a gazillion equally nauseating topics.

Bobo's aren't all bad. Whenever I've been to a dinner party at a Bobo's house, they've had good food there, and so long as I put on a scopalamine patch a few hours before hand I manage not to puke when I have to listen to them wax poetic about the qualities of the wild siberian hummus or the Tunisian slate countertop or any other of a gazillion equally nauseating topics.

Robos aren't bad either. Instead of taking pride that their coffee beans were harvested by mountain living Marxists, roasted by Maoists, and prepared by the finest barista a living wage can provide, robos take provide that their coffee was harvested in the most economically efficient manner possible. They relish the thought of all the invisible hands acting on their grounds.

;)